Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 08:03 PM

113 posts, read 154,301 times

Advertisements

Honestly, you come off as astoundingly conceited and obnoxious. What I am about to write is pretty harsh, but you need to understand how you appear to others. You're going to have problems in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britttravel112 View Post
Can I first say wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Really, I mean really have you not seen a black women before?
No, but I'm pretty sure most of us have seen a black woman. Several, in fact, and many of us see them every day.

Quote:
I am a attractive black female. I enjoy wearing high end makeup. I love wearing long flowing extentions like most women my age and I love wearing the latest fashion. I said all of that to let you all know that I am use to getting a stare here or there in other locations because people think I'm attractive and like to let me know in a polite way or jesture.
Quote:
so many people looked at me like I was in the wrong place or like I didnt have the right to be in the places I was at. I was in a Italian restaurant and two white men came and and stared at me as they were walking out the door like I was a alien. I was walking down Washington ave and had a Asian female do a 360 like she was amazed or scared
Ever consider the possibility that people gawk at you because, just maybe, you stick out like a sore thumb? Maybe you're not nearly as good-looking as you think you are.

Quote:
This was really weird to see so many white people and Asian people stare at me like I was in the wrong place.
Quote:
We have even drove through rual racist parts of Utah and Idaho. But I felt more uncomfortable in Boston then any place I have ever been.
You sound like a dolt. Boston is one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world.

Quote:
All I have to say is Iam very very very very happy to be home!
Yeah, I bet a lot of people are happy you're back home.

Quote:
People of Boston open your eyes travel get some culture and get out of your bubble.
Exactly the type of comment I'd expect from a myopic twit who can't be bothered to think before running her keyboard. Our local culture is remarkably rich. Did you bother to, I don't know, visit the local universities? Walk the Freedom Trail? See the Old North Church? The Harbor Islands? The BSO? Eat at any of the fantastic ethnic restaurants? Did you do anything besides shopping?

Quote:
Black people In Boston DO BETTER dont take that crap we are not in 1600's. Your more then just door Men Im still in shock....................
WTF does this semi-literate nonsense even mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 08:11 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,513,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
They might even look down on you if you have a car at all.
(And I quite agree with that.)
??? I don't understand your comment. People in Boston, like most places, are pretty practical and in many areas, like Dorchester, where I once lived, you must have a car to do certain things, like go grocery shopping with your roommates, etc. Plus, I worked outside of Boston in a suburban city 20 miles south and I had to have a car to get to work and go from office to office.

I never heard, even once, of anyone looking down on anyone for having a car in Boston. Maybe you don't know that Boston is not just the "downtown" but is very sprawled out into areas where a car is almost a necessity. Especially for a family.

Quite often, people don't realize that the city limits of big cities include semi-suburban areas and cars are needed. I live in NYC now in an area where there are lawns and single family houses and the subway is 6 miles away, yet I live in The City of New York. There are areas of this city and borough, Queens, which are more like 10 miles from the nearest subway stop! (Such as Glen Oaks, Queens.)

Old 03-03-2013, 08:11 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,501,419 times
Quote:
Can I first say wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Really, I mean really have you not seen a black women before? My husband and I came down to Boston to celebrate our 9th wedding anniversary. We stayed at the W hotel and we planned on walking around downtown Boston to enjoy its art, history and many places to shop. This morning we left the hotel and walked across the street and ate at Panera bread located on Stuart St. Before I start my story I do want to say that I am a attractive black female. I enjoy wearing high end makeup. I love wearing long flowing extentions like most women my age and I love wearing the latest fashion. I said all of that to let you all know that I am use to getting a stare here or there in other locations because people think I'm attractive and like to let me know in a polite way or jesture.

Now back to my experience We walked around Boston and so many people looked at me like I was in the wrong place or like I didnt have the right to be in the places I was at. I was in a Italian restaurant and two white men came and and stared at me as they were walking out the door like I was a alien. I was walking down Washington ave and had a Asian female do a 360 like she was amazed or scared....... wow. Im 5,2 wearing a blazer scarf and louis vuiton purse I must be scary lol I don't get it....I whent to Clairs accessories and the security guard was staring at me and fallowing me around like I was going to steal something. I have been in many Clairs accesories in Californiia,Ohio,Texas and New York and you really think I want to sreel something. .......ok weird

This was really weird to see so many white people and Asian people stare at me like I was in the wrong place. Your probably thinking I must look scary. The last person I was compared to was Keisha Knight, Rudy from the Cosby show all grown up. Now is that scary lol. I did notice most black females in the downtown area wore dreads or an afro and nothings wrong with that. They were dressed in a more casual fashion and if that's what they want to do then thats fine. I was starting to think maybe there not use to seeing Black girls glamed up. But I got dirty looks and people lookd at me like I was weird.

My Parents served in The Airforce My Husband has as well. I have been all over the world and all over the USA. We have even drove through rual racist parts of Utah and Idaho. But I felt more uncomfortable in Boston then any place I have ever been. All I have to say is Iam very very very very happy to be home! People of Boston open your eyes travel get some culture and get out of your bubble. Black people In Boston DO BETTER dont take that crap we are not in 1600's. Your more then just door Men Im still in shock....................
This is similar to my experience. I'm a Anglo/Native from the so-called Southern/Southwestern state of Oklahoma.

New England is by far the most racist place I've ever lived (lived in a highly educated area of Boston). I've also lived in the Deep South (panhandle of Florida) and the West Coast; they couldn't hold a candle to Boston. Just my experience. Not picking a fight, just my experience.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:21 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,984,345 times
Nicely dressed, resembling Keisha Knight, who is pretty damn cute, well perhaps they were staring because they were wondering if it was her or not. Is she famous or not, lets stare at her, maybe we can read her mind. A pretty girl wearing nice clothes, ya gotta expect some stares. The best defense to people staring is to look them in the eye and give a nice smile back.

Following you around the store, maybe he just enjoyed watching you walk.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:28 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,627,969 times
Are you sure that you weren't just overly self-conscious? I have a hard time believing that people in a city as busy and worldly as Boston are really taking their time to gawk at someone walking down the street. Were you wearing tight clothing or an abnormal hair color? Is there something about you (besides your extreme beauty) that would catch the attention of others?

Old 03-03-2013, 08:49 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,422,155 times
Quote:
I could post a picture but I feel comfortable telling you the last person I was compared to google Kiesha knight.
She's gorgious. Your husband is a lucky man!

Sorry about your experience though.

Still though, Boston is a great place.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:51 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,256,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
This is similar to my experience. I'm a Anglo/Native from the so-called Southern/Southwestern state of Oklahoma.

New England is by far the most racist place I've ever lived (lived in a highly educated area of Boston). I've also lived in the Deep South (panhandle of Florida) and the West Coast; they couldn't hold a candle to Boston. Just my experience. Not picking a fight, just my experience.
I've been all over the US. People from Oklahoma are by far the most ignorant, racist, homophobic, uneducated, toothless, bunch of bible beating hypocrites I've ever met in my life. Just my experience. Not picking a fight, just my experience.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:57 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,513,207 times
I have absolutely no idea who Keisha Knight is. Am I supposed to know? If I don't, am I a racist? Uh oh!

Old 03-03-2013, 09:02 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
I have absolutely no idea who Keisha Knight is. Am I supposed to know? If I don't, am I a racist? Uh oh!
Keisha Knight-Pulliam played Rudy from The Cosby Show.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:22 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,501,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
I've been all over the US. People from Oklahoma are by far the most ignorant, racist, homophobic, uneducated, toothless, bunch of bible beating hypocrites I've ever met in my life. Just my experience. Not picking a fight, just my experience.
I think your post reveals more about your own deficiencies than mine.

Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston