Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2013, 03:33 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,236,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2O13 View Post
thanks for the deff. btw. prisons and jails also have lock downs ...... when their are riots etc.
Yes, I know that, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 03:49 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,493,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
No. The person who found him went outside about an hour after the ban was lifted.

It's really funny that the majority of the people who are "bothered" by this "lock down" are from other places. Just about all of us were willing to comply under the assumption that an arrest was imminent (which it was... the kid was literally less than a block outside of the locked down area).

Citing the death toll is irrelevant. For starters, the death toll would have easily been higher had the bombs not gone off literally right next to a myriad of medical professionals within less than 2 miles of a number of hospitals that rank among the best of the nation. We've all seen the photo of the rescuers helping the many with his leg blown off. His femoral artery is literally being clamped off in the hands of one of the rescuers. All of the back-patting and hero rhetoric aside, the first responders and hospitals were ready and acted incredibly fast. That's why the death toll is so low. The injury total gives a better picture of the impact of the event. It was very high.

We wanted these guys captured/killed and were more than willing to make some sacrifices (which in the grand scheme of things will be viewed as pretty small a few years down the road) to facilitate that process. If we end up having terrorist attacks on a monthly/daily/weekly basis, the response will be different. We will, unfortunately, be in a similar situation to places like Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. where these attacks are more commonplace. If attacks happen with that frequency, we will lose faith in our government's ability to prevent attacks and hold attackers responsible. We'll become numb to the violence and it probably won't affect day to day life all that much.

However, the response being what it was sends a message to attackers that we are willing (and "willing" is the key word here) to do whatever it takes to get them. I think it's a good message to send.
A lot of this banter criticizing Bostonians approach is just rhetoric. Frankly it's impolite. It's just rude. The collective collaborative action of the BPD and the citizens of Boston worked like a miracle. Frankly, to me it's just indignant right wingers who want to diminish the triumph. Fine. You do it your way, we'll do it our way.

As I recall, after Katrina NOLA was under lockdown order as well, but the lockdown was not obeyed and NOLA was described as a war zone of anarchy. I recall gunfights, looting, riots. Somehow I'd wager a lot of rape also occurred. Personally I think the only thing BOS had to learn from NOLA is what NOT to do.

This will be my last post addressing this issue. At first I thought it was a question, but now I see it is Oreillyist rhetoric. To wit I will simply say, when it comes to your town, do it your way, and I wish you best of luck.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:43 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,954,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Because a privilege (which is what this is, because despite your protestations it is not a right you're advocating for) requires accountability.

I'm not personally the one who would be verifying your trustworthiness in this regard.

Hmm... I haven't really thought about that much, today. Jealousy from viewing a more civilized community, you think?
Actually, the right is protection against unreasonable search and seizure. I get that you're trying to frame this discussion with you being "someone who knows better," but you're just coming off as sanctimonious.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:17 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,954,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
A lot of this banter criticizing Bostonians approach is just rhetoric. Frankly it's impolite. It's just rude. The collective collaborative action of the BPD and the citizens of Boston worked like a miracle. Frankly, to me it's just indignant right wingers who want to diminish the triumph. Fine. You do it your way, we'll do it our way.

As I recall, after Katrina NOLA was under lockdown order as well, but the lockdown was not obeyed and NOLA was described as a war zone of anarchy. I recall gunfights, looting, riots. Somehow I'd wager a lot of rape also occurred. Personally I think the only thing BOS had to learn from NOLA is what NOT to do.

This will be my last post addressing this issue. At first I thought it was a question, but now I see it is Oreillyist rhetoric. To wit I will simply say, when it comes to your town, do it your way, and I wish you best of luck.
I guess you won't deign to respond to this, but I am far, far from being a "right-winger".

And my comment wasn't about the immediate aftermath of Katrina, it was about the collective grieving we did as a city.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:32 PM

335 posts, read 671,054 times
D will not be charged tonight. claim he can not speak due to gun wounds to the throat.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:32 PM

10,049 posts, read 15,718,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
What's the difference between lock down and lock up?
There were some streets in Watertown that were locked down. The residents were stuck in place. Any public transit was shut down. lest the guy use that as a means of escape. However, other than parts of Watertown, you could come and go in your car (my daughter was driving around) and you could walk. Most people were glued to the television, watching all the action. And most places of business were closed anyway because their employees had a hard time showing up.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:46 PM

how is it possible that Dzhokhar was a 2nd yr med student. He just graduated HS 2011? Or is it a combined undergrad and med school program?

Old 04-21-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
There were some streets in Watertown that were locked down. The residents were stuck in place. Any public transit was shut down. lest the guy use that as a means of escape. However, other than parts of Watertown, you could come and go in your car (my daughter was driving around) and you could walk. Most people were glued to the television, watching all the action. And most places of business were closed anyway because their employees had a hard time showing up.
yes i recall the news media saying it was a 20 block area that was on lock down in WT

Old 04-21-2013, 05:50 PM

So The boat that was shot at and where they found bloody D.T. Who is going to replace that or is the owner Just Out Of A Boat?

I be hesitant wanting to live in that home now that the owner called the LE on the terrorist. Who knows some extremist may come after him an the family.

The home is also a part of history wonder if that would spike the price of the home.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:50 PM

10,049 posts, read 15,718,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2O13 View Post
how is it possible that Dzhokhar was a 2nd yr med student. He just graduated HS 2011? Or is it a combined undergrad and med school program?
No he wasn't. He was a 19 year old undergrad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston