Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 07:55 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,538,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole.cpp View Post
Come down here to Texas! Excellent cost of living, though you'll trade awful winters for awful summers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I can't think of a worse idea.
me neither, there are enough transplants here from PA, NY, CA, MA, IA, WA and the Moon thinking this is the land o' plenty and jobs are a dime a dozen.....not necessarily so.....now it's way crowded, home prices are too high and a 20 minute commute now takes almost an hour....stay home and get a better job OP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 12:41 PM

39 posts, read 51,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosaleeighbb View Post
I am having to move out of boston because rent is too expensive and homes are not affordable. I went to college graduated am working and pay my bills. I took a first time home buyers class and what I'm eligible for mortgage wise will get me a hole in the wall.

What am I supposed to do??? We looked at affordable homes for sale but they are way over my loan approval amount. The closest place where we could buy a home is Lowell. WTF!!!

It really saddens me to leave but what else can we do. Meanwhile the person that's mooching off their SSI / SSDI who is able to work but doesn't is living in a loft apt. paying peanuts. How is that fair????????? This country is backwards.
I hear you my friend. I got out of Boston and moved to San Diego. Its a rip here too TBH. But at least you get to be in nice weather and look at pretty girls while you get ripped off!

Old 12-05-2014, 12:55 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Hear hear!

It's ok to leave, it's ok that some town may be more expensive than you can afford.
But why does OP end their post with complaints against some mythical bogeyman who is living large in Boston?

One thing I've learned in my 50 years on this earth is that people almost never tell the truth about their finances. The family living in the huge house doesn't admit that they were given the down payment by their parents. Another family doesn't admit that although they have a home, they have almost no savings or retirement funds. So why would they think someone will tell the truth about living in an expensive condo only on SSI? Conversely, if that life is so good, then OP is free to follow that lifestyle.
how about a $1600 apartment in Watertown. My friends ex-wife pays $300 a month for that, Section 8 picks up the rest.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:29 PM

27 posts, read 63,243 times
I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough time, but know that you're not alone in that boat! I'm in my late 20's, stuck in a managerial retail position, paying WAY too much for a studio/1 bedroom in Watertown. The cost of living around here has gotten absolutely ridiculous, from rent, to food, to public transportation. I have my eye on North Carolina! Good luck with your move.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:51 PM

1,723 posts, read 1,145,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosaleeighbb View Post
I am having to move out of boston because rent is too expensive and homes are not affordable. I went to college graduated am working and pay my bills. I took a first time home buyers class and what I'm eligible for mortgage wise will get me a hole in the wall.

What am I supposed to do??? We looked at affordable homes for sale but they are way over my loan approval amount. The closest place where we could buy a home is Lowell. WTF!!!

It really saddens me to leave but what else can we do. Meanwhile the person that's mooching off their SSI / SSDI who is able to work but doesn't is living in a loft apt. paying peanuts. How is that fair????????? This country is backwards.
I work for Social Security. Neither SSI nor SSDI benefits will get you close to affording a loft in Boston.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:51 PM

97 posts, read 190,592 times
As a Boston native who is now on ssdi, but worked most of my life to qualify for those benefits, and do not even want to live here; where are these so called nice places that you speak of? Boston is just way too expensive no matter how you slice it. All my roots are here, where else can I go to? I have a valid disability and I am not bucking the system at all, just saying.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:40 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,063,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
I work for Social Security. Neither SSI nor SSDI benefits will get you close to affording a loft in Boston.

Maybe not a loft, but some of the re-built housing projects have nice townhouses that would easily go for $3000+ a month had they been market rate.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:28 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,603 times
My parents neighbors house in HP just sold for 500k. 1800 sq ft 3 bed. Remodeled but not spectacularly.

My parents suggested I buy it before they heard the list price. Was pretty shocking within the neighborhood supposedly they got even more than list.

So much for affordability in Hyde Park!

Old 07-27-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
Maybe not a loft, but some of the re-built housing projects have nice townhouses that would easily go for $3000+ a month had they been market rate.
It sounds like to me that you resent the poor living in Boston. I mean where are they supposed to live? Doesn't everyone deserve decent living accommodations?

Old 07-27-2015, 09:44 PM

And I will add sanitary to the list as well. Those that are poor do not really have much of a choice as to where to live. Unlike someone fresh out of college, they can. choose to live wherever they want, such as Boston. If you cannot afford it then there are other great cities to choose from. The poor do not have that choice at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston