Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 06:16 PM

23 posts, read 36,121 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Hyde Park and would never move back. It is steadily on a decline despite the numerous attempts to liven up the square. The only reason my family stayed for so long was so that I could go to BLA years ago.

West Roxbury is fine but homes are really expensive for a meh lifestyle. Have you thought about Dedham? Dedham square has a lovely little movie theatre and great small shops and restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 06:57 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,324,502 times
Default Re

When you say hp is steadily on the decline how much lower could it go compared to other parts of boston? The only place it has to go is up or it will stay the same. With how much it still costs to live there it cant possibly get any worse than it is. It's unfortunate that it seems to be a forgotten part of boston but it's certainly not unliveable. Why throw out other options at the guy? He's interested in HP. I am not familiar with the areas he's asking about but fairmount and readville are nice. If people like the OP move to HP then the place will gentritify and all the people who dont give a damn about the neighborhood will be forced out.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:45 PM

Default Re

And this thread is another example of people complaining about how expensive it is to live in boston but then everyone turns their noses up at the more affordable areas and dissuades others from living there.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:02 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,839,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
When you say hp is steadily on the decline how much lower could it go compared to other parts of boston? The only place it has to go is up or it will stay the same. With how much it still costs to live there it cant possibly get any worse than it is. It's unfortunate that it seems to be a forgotten part of boston but it's certainly not unliveable. Why throw out other options at the guy? He's interested in HP. I am not familiar with the areas he's asking about but fairmount and readville are nice. If people like the OP move to HP then the place will gentritify and all the people who dont give a damn about the neighborhood will be forced out.
Lots of thoughtlessly negative, spleen venting posts here on C-D! I'm guessing many people who grew up in the old, all-white HP have feelings about the demographic changes there and can't see anything positive in the present situation, whereas, as you keep pointing out, Hyde Park has lots of advantages and is full of potential. The post hints at one advantage that continues for HP and all the Boston districts, access to the city's exam schools for qualifying students.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:49 AM

Default Re

Right it seems like people on this board want something that just doesn't exist. They want cheaper alternatives but dont like what the alternatives are. Cleary sq is not nice but when the prices are as low as they are in hp what do you expect?? If it was nice it's likely that it would also be more expensive to live there. And they have a few good places in the sq but it would be nice to see more. I dont know why it's so blah but i cant help but blame the city. Why aren't they doing more?

And yes im sure the fact that it's not a pristine white neighborhood is another reason that people arent interested. So typical of this city.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:35 PM

3,222 posts, read 2,124,379 times
Quote:
Right it seems like people on this board want something that just doesn't exist. They want cheaper alternatives but dont like what the alternatives are. Cleary sq is not nice but when the prices are as low as they are in hp what do you expect?? If it was nice it's likely that it would also be more expensive to live there. And they have a few good places in the sq but it would be nice to see more. I dont know why it's so blah but i cant help but blame the city. Why aren't they doing more?

And yes im sure the fact that it's not a pristine white neighborhood is another reason that people arent interested. So typical of this city.
Why does the responsibility always have to lay on the city. What about the long-term residents that can't be bothered to better even their own property let alone neighborhood.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:00 PM

8 posts, read 12,485 times
Hi Everyone,

Hyde Park is just one the the places we are looking. In a dream world we would live in Jamaica Plain but we are not even close to being able to afford it. We will be looking in West Roxbury, Roslindale, Dedham, Norwood, and Hyde Park. It is going to be about the right house at the right time. We are very lucky that we don't have to think about the school system since our kids can go where I work.

In the end, I don't think we can afford to live anywhere we absolutely love. The places we can afford all seem great but far from perfect.

We are worried about the commute from Norwood to both Weston and Northeastern where my wife works. We don't want that to be too long.

Thanks so much again!

Trevor

Old 03-06-2017, 01:41 PM

Default Re

'What about the long-term residents that can't be bothered to better even their own property let alone neighborhood'

Agree with this also. It seems like the long time residents dont want anything new or nice in the area because they are worried about traffic.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:22 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:

What in gods name is so bad about Cleary square?? Yes there's few vacant stop regrant but they're not boarded up or anything. Still viable normal stores there, what wrong with it???

Old 03-06-2017, 02:37 PM

Default Re

Just look at other sqaures in boston....cleary sq sucks. Even ashmont is getting some high end grocery store, provisions or something. Cleary sq has family dollar, some discount clothing shop, a convenience store I wouldn't set foot in. The nicest parts of it is Antonios bacaros which hasnt even been there a year and fairmount grill. The place is just weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston