Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 11:58 AM

875 posts, read 663,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post

Let the young ins try new things and take risks, especially without kids or many other responsibilities. If it doesn't work out, he can always move back.
If you cant do it at 22 then when can you do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 12:02 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I guess, yes, if OP only wants temp work, he can wait.
It's not a matter of only wanting temp work. It's a matter of getting some money coming in, getting a foot in the door, and having your resume show you're currently working.

Done it several times, including when I've moved places without a job.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:16 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
Quote:
Nobody WANTS temp work, but as a 22 year old wanting to move to a new city and do his own thing with his own life, that's not a big deal. Nobody gets their lifelong career at 22. I'm very pleased what came of my young and inexperienced start in Boston. In fact, if I waited to have a really solid job here, I would never in a million years have ended up where I'm at, which I think would be much superior to being some coffee fetcher at some mind numbing and soul crushing insurance company, where most people get hired at (from my group of friends at least).

Let the young ins try new things and take risks, especially without kids or many other responsibilities. If it doesn't work out, he can always move back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It's not a matter of only wanting temp work. It's a matter of getting some money coming in, getting a foot in the door, and having your resume show you're currently working.

Done it several times, including when I've moved places without a job.
Yes, temp work is a great back up. Believe me, I'm familiar with the world of temp work. It's just that most of the people I've known, and personally, I've preferred to have a full time, permanent job. So that's what I've looked for first. I was under the impression that that was what OP wanted, too. That's why I suggested looking now.

If OP isn't interested in a permanent gig, or for some reason wants to do temp work first until he is settled here, then, certainly it's not a big deal to just wait until he actually gets here.

Even with wanting a permanent job, many people end up doing temp work when a permanent job doesn't materialize as quickly as hoped. Yes, they can be a great entre into the company, but, depending on the industry and the market, they can also become a quagmire. In some industries, if you temp for too long, something must be wrong with you and the experience you're getting isn't directly relevant to the desired job. In others, though, it's almost a requirement to do temp work first, and many jobs are filled from the temp pool. I don't know what the particular situation is for OP and his field.

So, yes, if OP is looking for temp work, I take back my suggestion to look and network starting now. Temp work is a different story and that wasn't what I was thinking he wanted.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:24 PM

536 posts, read 844,649 times
I would say that six months of income is enough to move to look for a position, but I wouldn't do it on one-month's saving.
You surely can move and find a job but it seems rash to assume you'll find it right away unless you are already networked. If you are, moving with nibbles and leads may be fine. I wouldn't move with no nibbles or leads.

Based on the experiences of my young relatives. Took them each an average of 6 months to land a job after school but all are doing very well now. I don't know anyone in your field, though, so your time may be quicker or slower.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:32 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Yes, temp work is a great back up. Believe me, I'm familiar with the world of temp work. It's just that most of the people I've known, and personally, I've preferred to have a full time, permanent job. So that's what I've looked for first. I was under the impression that that was what OP wanted, too. That's why I suggested looking now.

If OP isn't interested in a permanent gig, or for some reason wants to do temp work first until he is settled here, then, certainly it's not a big deal to just wait until he actually gets here.

Even with wanting a permanent job, many people end up doing temp work when a permanent job doesn't materialize as quickly as hoped. Yes, they can be a great entre into the company, but, depending on the industry and the market, they can also become a quagmire. In some industries, if you temp for too long, something must be wrong with you and the experience you're getting isn't directly relevant to the desired job. In others, though, it's almost a requirement to do temp work first, and many jobs are filled from the temp pool. I don't know what the particular situation is for OP and his field.

So, yes, if OP is looking for temp work, I take back my suggestion to look and network starting now. Temp work is a different story and that wasn't what I was thinking he wanted.
I don't get this. For some reason you think it is a decision to either look for full time work, or look for temp work.

Nothing is further from the truth. You get the temp gig to get some money coming in all while doing a full time job search. They're done at thee same time.

Personally, I don't see the reason to ever sit on the sideline and not do the temp work while just job searching. Heck, I even did it when it paid no more than unemployment. I was better off doing so.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:58 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
I don't get this. For some reason you think it is a decision to either look for full time work, or look for temp work.

Nothing is further from the truth. You get the temp gig to get some money coming in all while doing a full time job search. They're done at thee same time.

Personally, I don't see the reason to ever sit on the sideline and not do the temp work while just job searching. Heck, I even did it when it paid no more than unemployment. I was better off doing so.
This!

Old 08-03-2016, 01:19 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,791,376 times
Quote:
i don't get this. For some reason you think it is a decision to either look for full time work, or look for temp work.

Personally, i don't see the reason to ever sit on the sideline and not do the temp work while just job searching. Heck, i even did it when it paid no more than unemployment. I was better off doing so.
+1.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:

He said he had 3-4 months of savings and was looking for a job. If he wants a temp job, that's a great idea and he can look for that when he gets here. But if he wants a permanent job, he should start looking now. He can do both simultaneously once he gets here.

The discussion had evolved to timing. My position is Perm Job: Look now. Temp Job: Might make more sense to wait until he is here.

I don't understand the argument against this or the disagreement. If he doesn't want a perm job at all, then don't look now.

BUT, if he is looking for a perm job, he is going to have to put in some real time and effort. And having a temp job will cut into the time available for doing this. It may become a necessity, to get some money, but if he's really looking long term, the time spent looking for a good position in his field will pay off more than many temp jobs will. That's why I think the immediate need should be to network and really seek out people and places that can provide him with the job he wants. (Ever heard the advice that looking for a job should be a full time endeavor? It really should. My husband was looking for work last year and for several months, he really was spending about 40 hours a week networking, going to breakfast/coffee/lunch with people he had worked with or were in his field who could provide advice and could give him names of other people to network with, and link to on linked in, he went to professional networking events, and met people there. He made several versions of his resume for different jobs, and he went on job interviews. OP is not likely looking for as high a position as my husband was, but the same general rule applies. Even if it's just for a few weeks, some real, quality time spent networking and learning about the employment opportunities in this area in his field will pay off. If he then needs to get a temp job, he can, but I think he should concentrate on getting a long term job, if that is his ultimate goal.)

Again, if he's only interested in temp, then don't bother. Just get a temp job.

Last edited by chicagoliz; 08-03-2016 at 02:49 PM..

Old 08-03-2016, 02:56 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:

Again, if he's only interested in temp, then don't bother. Just get a temp job.
That's not what he's saying.

1) Move to Boston.
2) Get a temp job to get the cash flow.
3) While working a temp job, look for a permanent job.
4) Accept a permanent job and quit the temp job.
5) If 4 never happens, move back home and try something else. No sense in being so risk adverse for a 22 year old.

What I'm saying at least, is that this is a totally workable plan. I did something very similar at the same age as OP only 4 years ago.

Old 08-03-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
That's not what he's saying.

1) Move to Boston.
2) Get a temp job to get the cash flow.
3) While working a temp job, look for a permanent job.
4) Accept a permanent job and quit the temp job.
5) If 4 never happens, move back home and try something else. No sense in being so risk adverse for a 22 year old.

What I'm saying at least, is that this is a totally workable plan. I did something very similar at the same age as OP only 4 years ago.
That is a decent plan, but I think taking a temp job right away is the risk averse strategy. If he wants a long term job and career, I think he should spend at least some time networking and talking to people who will be able to help him find a job. He can start doing this even long distance. If I were in this position, I'd come here hitting the ground running, hoping that I could take a month to really spend my time 'pounding the pavement.' Finding the professional associations that are relevant to his career -- there are all kinds of groups that have networking events and always are interested in people who want to help run them. He can get his resume ready, apply for jobs that he sees listed on job sites, see if the career center at his alma mater has suggestions, has alumni in the Boston area, or has any kind of reciprocity with a career center here. I think putting in some of this time now will pay off. At least he'll be able to say he's done everything possible to get a job.

If he's done this for a few weeks, he can then get a temp job, and continue to do all these networking things. But I've seen it happen where people end up so busy with the temp job that they don't have time to devote to a job search, and their career suffers. Yes, he could end up getting a permanent job from his temp job, but I think the few weeks lost by doing a real, intense job search will still work in his favor in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: