Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 01:51 PM

3,219 posts, read 2,121,919 times

Advertisements

I think I'm out guys.
I am fed up with the corporatizing of this damn city. Growing up here in youth I used to absolutely love the allure this city had. I was in the Hardcore/punkrock scene and there were 15 venues we could visit and loiter at and drink 40's outside of. It had class. it had grit.
From going to the Penalty box outside of the raised green iron at North Station. Or the lovely **** smelling Rat for all day punk shows. Or Bunrattys in Allston.
When Harvard square had the Pitt and Allston Beat.
Mission Hill's chopping block. Jp's Triple D's and the god loving Milky way.
Now it seems its just a conglomerate of business people getting together and doing market research on what people want and throwing X-amount of dollars at it.
It's gone. everything that made this place have a pulse has been stripped away. I'm tired of seeing financial people. and tech nerds. I'm tired of whatever the F southie is now, and what happened to JP and Rozi square. This is not a city anymore. It's a god damn strip mall.

End Rant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 01:54 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Where are you planning on going?

Old 09-07-2016, 02:03 PM

11,060 posts, read 12,452,032 times
I have yet to find a city forum on this site that doesn't have posters bemoaning days gone by. Although I sympathize in some regards. Each city is certainly on a spectrum of this kind of thing, some have it worse than others.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:03 PM

Providence?
Vermont?
North Adams?

anywhere I don"t have to listen to another tech nerd talk about the most amazing "inspired" meal he had from XYZ rockstar chef.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I have yet to find a city forum on this site that doesn't have posters bemoaning days gone by. Although I sympathize in some regards. Each city is certainly on a spectrum of this kind of thing, some have it worse than others.
So I guess it's the "American City" that has turned to Sh*t?

Old 09-07-2016, 02:16 PM

11,060 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
So I guess it's the "American City" that has turned to Sh*t?
Many of them, yes, I would say so. In parts.

For what it's worth, I don't think all of Boston is all that "corporate." There are still some more down to earth spots. Though I know what you are referring to.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:19 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,323,101 times
I work at a tech company in cambridge and im tired of tech nerds myself haha

It seems like everyone in the city seems to be against corporate and finacial conglomerates taking over yet they are choosing to live in like the 2nd most expensive city in the country. If they truly feel that way they should move. My guess is they are too afraid to leave their cushy job that is steps away from their $2500 month apt where they have access to the finest foods in the world and uber galore! Just please be real...Stop talking about how important helping underprivileged people and shopping at mom and pop stores is! You are lying and only care about your image.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:26 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
I was wondering if this was Robin G for a moment!

Sadly, there is a lot of synergy with having a booming economy and culturally going backwards in the music / arts at the DIY level, for sure. I was a Channel / Rat / Bunrattys dude myself, miss those days, but they're not coming back here unless there is a financial apocalypse. I just got back from Madison, good economy (only good one in Wisconsin) and same thing, DIY venues gone, and even the long run teencenter was shut down, torn down, and the Overture center with symphonies and ballet went in. They said they'd open a new teen center, but not downtown... and not somewhere the kids would want to hang.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:43 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I was wondering if this was Robin G for a moment!

Sadly, there is a lot of synergy with having a booming economy and culturally going backwards in the music / arts at the DIY level, for sure. I was a Channel / Rat / Bunrattys dude myself, miss those days, but they're not coming back here unless there is a financial apocalypse. I just got back from Madison, good economy (only good one in Wisconsin) and same thing, DIY venues gone, and even the long run teencenter was shut down, torn down, and the Overture center with symphonies and ballet went in. They said they'd open a new teen center, but not downtown... and not somewhere the kids would want to hang.
I need to get back to Madison sometime soon, too. As a former resident, it's been a couple of years, and I'm overdue. I agree, though, that outside of Madison, Wisconsin seems to be slowly going downhill, and a place to escape from, unfortunately. It certainly wasn't that way years before..

I'd have to agree with the OP about "inspired" meals from celebrity chefs, etc . Most things have the possibility of being interesting, but not fascinating. Just order your food, and eat it, without taking any pictures.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:48 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Go spend 5 or 6 years in: Erie Pa; Truth or Consequences, N.M.; P-Cola Fla.; or Stuttgart Ark., and then report back to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston