Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2021, 04:11 PM

2,365 posts, read 1,850,974 times

Advertisements

Atlanta and Boston are much different cities. The mayor elections are totally different too. Down here the major issue is crime and safety. All of the major candidates will tell you that. Kasim Reed, who has been the mayor already, is leading the polls right now. One of his main agenda plans is to add more cops.

The rich part of town is looking to secede, which I'm not sure what kind of impact that would have overall. I think Reed actually lives there too, but is against the move. Generally the current mayor (who is not seeking reelection, and is widely considered a failure) and other politicans have been strangely silent on the issue. Possibly because the absence of Buckhead will give their own districts more leverage.

I think Atlants good for a middle class person. Maybe better than Boston across the board. Boston has a lot of strong suits though. I think it's a better place to be rich, especially if you don't want to be a celebrity. It's also a way better place to be poor I'd imagine.

From the article I'm noticing it's mainly middle class people who are preferring Atlanta. You see that with whites in general too, nothing too shocking. Young rich people that want to be going out a lot and be seen and influence youth culture on a national scale, I'd imagine they would prefer Atlanta too. For the rich people that aren't interested n tat I don't see any reason why they would prefer Atlanta over Boston. For poor people with no training or skillset it seems like would be a terrible move. You save on rent but there are a lot of other factors that counteract that. Those factors get mitigated just by having a modest lower-middle class income and financial literacy, but without that it would be a nightmare to live here.

Also worth noting is only a small percentage of Atlanta MSA's >2,000,000 black population lives in the city of Atlanta. I'm not convinced Atlanta proper is a good model for black success by the numbers, perhaps the opposite. Most middle class and wealthy black people in the area live inthe suburbs. Places like Sandy Springs are more diverse than Atlanta (although less black) and much more wealthy (much, much more wealthy for black residents)

Last edited by Space_League; 11-01-2021 at 04:29 PM..

Old 11-01-2021, 04:54 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
What would it take for you to leave?

(Assuming that changing your mind is out of the question)
If another US city showed up that offered the ability to live in a historic district with beautiful architecture, strong access to education and health care, easy access to large world-class collections of fine art and music, close proximity to sporting events I'm interested in attending, all without being overrun with a party scene, I'd give it consideration. There's not many cities anywhere with all of those things, and certainly fewer than there are places with a party scene.

I'd flip this question around and ask it the other way: if Boston doesn't have what someone's looking for when so many other cities do (and likely at a lower cost too), why stay? It's always going to be easier to find a place that already fits your priorities than it is to change a place to fit your priorities.

Old 11-01-2021, 10:32 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
If another US city showed up that offered the ability to live in a historic district with beautiful architecture, strong access to education and health care, easy access to large world-class collections of fine art and music, close proximity to sporting events I'm interested in attending, all without being overrun with a party scene, I'd give it consideration. There's not many cities anywhere with all of those things, and certainly fewer than there are places with a party scene.

I'd flip this question around and ask it the other way: if Boston doesn't have what someone's looking for when so many other cities do (and likely at a lower cost too), why stay? It's always going to be easier to find a place that already fits your priorities than it is to change a place to fit your priorities.
Obviously, tons of US cities offer that. I've seen it time and time again. You can find that in Pittsburgh...actually though.

Anyway- if your response to people who want their city of birth to be a better more inclusive place for all is to move you really are a small-minded parochial scrooge and a scourge on its city. That's the most suffocating thought process you could have and doesn't lend itself well to-well anything really? Caring about your city and wanting it to improve isn't about what easy its about improvement and whats the right thing to do. Just because there are flaws in a city doesn't mean you have to (or should) abandon it or become indifferent. That defeatist, loser, thinking. You want and need concerned citizens.

Old 11-02-2021, 06:21 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Obviously, tons of US cities offer that. I've seen it time and time again. You can find that in Pittsburgh...actually though.

I was thinking Manhattan where you have world class everything right out your door.

Old 11-02-2021, 07:20 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,339,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
No, we should find again the map but the clearly Hispanic neighborhood went for Janey, and the mixed one have a weaker Janey the less black there are. Regardless on who the other are.
Here is a map with the results by precinct and a table with 2010 data about race/ethnicity by precinct (I don't think anything more up to date is available), I am checking the over 18 only.

https://www.wbur.org/news/2021/09/16...on-results-map
http://www.bostonrambles.net/wp-cont...cinct-Data.pdf

1201 Janey gets 57%, 4 times more black than latino (all other groups are irrelevant)
0807 Janey 38%, less than 2 times more black than latino (all other groups irrelevant)
0104 Janey 18% 3 times more latino than whites, all other races irrelevant.
1104 a diverse district 50% latino, 30% black and almost 20% white. Janey got? 30%

I picked these randomly. I am not going to make an analysis for everyone but it's pretty clear that Latino did not vote for Janey. Janey only won precincts where blacks are a majority. The smaller the majority, the worst she performed. 18221 where she won 57% of the votes? 80% black.
So maybe the problem aren't white racist Bostonians but the fact that either she wasn't a great candidate or the fact that her outreach outside the black community was bad.

In the last 10 years Boston voted for a black governor, a black president and a black US representative.
District 1, north end/ east Boston (an area exceedingly non-black) has a black woman as a representative.

How many non-black areas in Atlanta have black representatives? I don't know the answer but I wonder.

Last edited by Lampert; 11-02-2021 at 08:20 AM..

Old 11-02-2021, 07:43 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,114,518 times
there is no need to dilute the narrative with crazy facts.

Old 11-02-2021, 08:24 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I was thinking Manhattan where you have world class everything right out your door.
I've thought about Manhattan before. I think in the end it ends up being just a little bit too big and modern for my tastes, but a fine choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

Anyway- if your response to people who want their city of birth to be a better more inclusive place for all is to move you really are a small-minded parochial scrooge and a scourge on its city. That's the most suffocating thought process you could have and doesn't lend itself well to-well anything really? Caring about your city and wanting it to improve isn't about what easy its about improvement and whats the right thing to do. Just because there are flaws in a city doesn't mean you have to (or should) abandon it or become indifferent. That defeatist, loser, thinking. You want and need concerned citizens.
Also agree Pittsburgh seems a fine city, but in my visits there it just didn't click with me as a place I'd like to live. Visit, yes, but not live.

Yours is an interesting response. Keep in mind I asked a question, same as was asked of me; it wasn't a subtle hint to move away. What keeps someone in an area they aren't happy with? It was a bit rhetorical but you've answered it -- concerned citizens who look past the flaws and fight to make it better. Better, of course, is subjective and means different things to different people. And, that question was in response to a question following a similar comment to yours.

Caring about your city and wanting it to improve -- isn't that exactly what I'm also doing by using my vote to support measures I want to see? Am I not also a concerned citizen with differing views?

However, it seems the fact I dislike something someone else likes makes me a scourge on the city. Being asked what it would take to make me leave is fine, but asking the opposite (why people stay) makes me a scourge. Does my opinion matter less? If so, why? I live here, I pay taxes here, I vote here, I'm going to send my kids to school here. It's my city, too.

Old 11-02-2021, 11:17 AM

6,805 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I dunno, I think that sounds like plenty of small, boutique cities in the US. Have you considered moving to Newburyport or Portsmouth?

Quote:
Because it’s home. Did you grow up here or did you move here?

Also because it shouldn’t be the way you describe. Within my parents’ lifetimes Boston was a vibrant city with nightlife to match. It’s people like you who changed it into the sterile ghost town that it is after hours. Don’t pretend like a lack of nightlife is something that’s always been true about the city.

Old 11-02-2021, 11:30 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,339,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Because it’s home. Did you grow up here or did you move here?

Also because it shouldn’t be the way you describe. Within my parents’ lifetimes Boston was a vibrant city with nightlife to match. It’s people like you who changed it into the sterile ghost town that it is after hours. Don’t pretend like a lack of nightlife is something that’s always been true about the city.
Young professionals and students killed Boston nightlife? Only in Boston.

Old 11-02-2021, 11:41 AM

6,805 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Young professionals and students killed Boston nightlife? Only in Boston.
id77 is a young professional or a student? I was getting strong middle-aged vibes from their posts, but I could always be proven wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston