Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2021, 08:51 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Is it good enough to say NYC / Boston are comparable in the higher crime neighborhoods? They are at least within striking distance in that metric neither one is NOLA or Memphis and neither one is Newton or Wellesley.

If the point is to compare amenities then the hardest part is going to be the size and scale of the cities moreso than the difference in crime rates. Since they are absolutely nothing alike in size but relatively similar in crime.

There must be some better peer cities for Boston that are closer to its own size. Probably will still lose in terms of nightlife and drinking establishments but overall amenities, acess to culture, transit, parks, charters, civic and social organizations in low income Black neighborhoods it could get more interesting compared to cities its own size.
That’d be fair to say albeit I don’t know if it’s true. I mean NYC has many more and larger neighborhoods and the definition of worse is subjective.

Saying that NYC is so much worse in its hoods really isn’t supported by anything other than unsubstantiated rumors of unreported crimes that no one can corroborate or explain why it’d only be NYC. People aren’t reporting crimes in unarmed ENY projects but everyone running to the phones in Boston? Boston? the land of 96% unsolved non fatal shootings?

Based of stats and lived experiences that’s what I take issue with saying…its such a blanket statement that not isn’t supported by anything- the inverse would seem to be more true. I don’t feel comfortable just letting that stand.

Bostonians have this DEEP desire to act as if we’re above the fray and it’s often just not true and it’s grating. People not from here hate it and it makes sense. it’s that same atttitude people have used to talk about racism in Boston/MA in the past. “Oh not us it’s in XYZ stereotypical place” it’s really that same attitude. Like how is someone gonna say oh that’s 110% incorrect when he’s never even known anyone in the streets in Boston? He’s never been out in the hood in the cold at night? He’s gonna say that from the interior of his car? Naw, I’m not goin for it.

Old 10-03-2021, 09:16 PM

17,676 posts, read 9,164,338 times
East New York is 1.87 square miles. And within the 1.87 square miles...

There are eleven New York City Housing Authority developments, including:
  • Boulevard Houses; eighteen buildings, 6 and 14 stories tall.
  • Cypress Hills Houses; fifteen 7-story buildings.
  • East New York City Line; thirty-three 3-story buildings.
  • Fiorentino Plaza; eight 4-story buildings.
  • Linden Houses; nineteen buildings, 8 and 14 stories.
  • Long Island Baptist Houses; four, 6-story rehabilitated tenement buildings.
  • Pennsylvania Avenue-Wortman Avenue; three buildings, 8 and 16 stories tall.
  • Louis Heaton Pink Houses; twenty-two 8-story buildings.
  • Unity Plaza (Sites 4, 5A, 6, 7, 11, 12, 27); five 6-story buildings.
  • Unity Plaza (Sites 17, 24, 25A); three buildings 6 stories tall.
  • Vandalia Avenue; two 10-story buildings.

Old 10-03-2021, 09:28 PM

17,676 posts, read 9,164,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
And what I do know of you- I don't like. So that's reflected in my tone.
Well, for the record, I don't have a problem with you. I am just not impressed when you pretend to be an expert about things you clearly don't know much about. And that accounts for a significant percentage of your posts.

Old 10-03-2021, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
East New York is 1.87 square miles. And within the 1.87 square miles...

There are eleven New York City Housing Authority developments, including:
  • Boulevard Houses; eighteen buildings, 6 and 14 stories tall.
  • Cypress Hills Houses; fifteen 7-story buildings.
  • East New York City Line; thirty-three 3-story buildings.
  • Fiorentino Plaza; eight 4-story buildings.
  • Linden Houses; nineteen buildings, 8 and 14 stories.
  • Long Island Baptist Houses; four, 6-story rehabilitated tenement buildings.
  • Pennsylvania Avenue-Wortman Avenue; three buildings, 8 and 16 stories tall.
  • Louis Heaton Pink Houses; twenty-two 8-story buildings.
  • Unity Plaza (Sites 4, 5A, 6, 7, 11, 12, 27); five 6-story buildings.
  • Unity Plaza (Sites 17, 24, 25A); three buildings 6 stories tall.
  • Vandalia Avenue; two 10-story buildings.
And that's not nearly all of the land area. Or housing. So what are you doing here?

Old 10-03-2021, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Well, for the record, I don't have a problem with you. I am just not impressed when you pretend to be an expert about things you clearly don't know much about. And that accounts for a significant percentage of your posts.
okay. Say what you want...

youre still wrong-objectively.

Old 10-03-2021, 09:43 PM

23,569 posts, read 18,672,702 times
East New York...

Police: Video Shows Murder Of 21-Year-Old In East New York - YouTube

Old 10-03-2021, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
We're going to pull up videos of shootings? We can do that.

Ignore the politics, different reporting emphasis, the fact that there’s abundantly more cameras in NYC, statistics and a whole bunch of stuff sure. But yea. There’s plenty footage of crimes around Boston.

You’re determined to down ENY and it’s just goofy.

Old 10-03-2021, 09:49 PM

Roxbury...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xxFxNyQIm0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzzuloyYKes

see how dumb this could get?

Old 10-03-2021, 10:23 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
I live on a high rise on a high crime community, in a city that is 82% Black or Hispanic and someone literally got gunned down behind it the weekend I moved in.

How does that translate to Leafy Suburban NJ bbmm? Im just curious.. the census tract abutting my apt building has a median household income of $24,000 in the poorest 2% of zip codes and crime is significantly higher than the national average. The garage I use to park my car had 7 break ins in July August and September.

There is nothing leafy and suburban about this place.

Old 10-03-2021, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I live on a high rise on a high crime community, in a city that is 82% Black or Hispanic and someone literally got gunned down behind it the weekend I moved in.

How does that translate to Suburbs bbmm?
Fam... you move every 12 weeks. It was Boston, a minute ago it was Rahway, then it was Highland Park, then New Brunswick, now it's some 82% black city somewhere. I have no idea where you live at this point.

Wherever you live-you just got there. What I do know is last I checked Rahway is the suburbs. As is Highland Parkneither is 82% black. So IDK what you're talking about. Whatever city you just touched down in- its not East new york, it's not Roxbury, and it's not valid for you to bring it up as if you weren't born and raised in the burbs and spent the vast majority of your life there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston