Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 03:37 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,919,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Hey you guys...please explain to me what we're really talking about here, maybe it's both intelligence and education. I can't say that I know the answer but I think there is a difference or it's certainly not the same thing.

Is it one's mental capacity, one's education, or both?

Eta: Maybe it's just snobbery.

You Can Be Highly Intelligent Without Being Highly Educated

Two of the most intelligent people I've ever met did very poorly in school. One graduated, but just barely, and the other never finished high school. When it comes to learning anything that they don't associate with school, they learn fast… much, much faster than normal.

The difference between intelligence and education - Philosophy, Politics and Science - Asexual Visibility and Education Network
It’s neither. Intelligence generally means innate ability to think. Education means external training of that intellect. Intellectual means pertaining to the intellect. Intelligent is what you are, educated is how much you’ve learned, and intellectual is what you’re doing with it.

Someone can be intelligent and not educated, educated and not particularly intelligent. They can also be educated and intelligent without being intellectual, like say a smart person with a PhD who spends her days clubbing.

While there’s not a direct relationship between the three, they are strongly correlated. Intelligent people generally get better educations and perform more intellectual work. It generally pays better and is easier on your back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 04:21 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
It’s neither. Intelligence generally means innate ability to think. Education means external training of that intellect.
And this is what I intended when stating "it's a matter of education": it's a matter of training. Generally speaking, MA schools have the tax base, density, and demand (a combination of culture and parental expectations) required to provide robust training.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:56 AM

621 posts, read 310,782 times
I would recommend reading Thomas Sowell on intellectuals before deciding whether to brag about being intellectual.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:30 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
I would recommend reading Thomas Sowell on intellectuals before deciding whether to brag about being intellectual.

That book was a hoot. Unbalanced, one sided, cherry picking agenda promoting. Being one sided can be ok, but admit your biases up front. Sowell doesn't here and tried to mask it as scholarship. Poor effort.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:53 AM

Scholarship? I didn't understand him to be representing it thus. Simply another way of looking at things, and potentially quite useful, at that.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:25 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times
If Thomas Sowell is the author, you can bet it's biased. No doubt about that..

Old 11-02-2017, 09:34 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Bias isn't necessarily bad, as long as you recognize it. I don't trust anyone who says they aren't biased.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
What bias did you expect him to have, and what bias in that book became evident to you?

Old 11-02-2017, 09:44 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,919,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
I would just recommend not bragging about anything. It almost never goes well.

It's a bit of a shame that we can't discuss things that are intellectual without a bunch of people getting defensive. There's nothing wrong with using your intellect. It's not something that is restricted to educated or even intelligent people. It has, unfortunately, become conflated with intellectual elitism which is what I suspect people react against when they think of something as intellectual.

Quote:
I haven't read this book, but isn't it basically a giant opinion piece?

Old 11-12-2017, 04:55 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
the difference between being smart and being intelligent is that smart people use their intelligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston