Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,401 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I will be moving in June to Boston/Cambridge. I will work around Kendall square and have a budget of 3100$ per month. I am looking for a nice, calm and beautiful neighborhood. I would like to have around 800 square feet and a balcony. I love Beacon Hill but it is a bit too expansive for me. People suggested Harvard Square, South End, Porter Square, North End or Charlestown. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 04:07 PM

12,839 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letta_1 View Post
Hi everyone,
I will be moving in June to Boston/Cambridge. I will work around Kendall square and have a budget of 3100$ per month. I am looking for a nice, calm and beautiful neighborhood. I would like to have around 800 square feet and a balcony. I love Beacon Hill but it is a bit too expansive for me. People suggested Harvard Square, South End, Porter Square, North End or Charlestown. What do you think?
Will you be taking the T or driving? How much commuting do you want to do?

I think you would do well in Harvard Square if you can find something in your budget. It's a great spot, beautiful, and would make for an easy commute. If you want calm, look to the west of the square (West Cambridge) itself. If you're looking at Google maps, I'm talking about the area between Mt. Auburn and Brattle Streets. You'll find leafy streets, nice old homes, and an overall peaceful atmosphere. The Square itself isn't exactly calm.

The South End is great, but the commute to Kendall might be a bit less than ideal depending on your location in the neighborhood. It'll be at least one transfer on transit lines (Orange to Red Line most likely, possibly bus to Red Line), and driving means cutting through central Boston each day at rush hour. The time (1/2 hour to 40 minutes or so) isn't awful, but not ideal relative to places like Harvard.

Porter itself isn't beautiful. I'd actually look closer to Davis Square than to Porter, though the two are close together. The Orchard St. area (and the side streets between Elm and Mass. Ave.) is really pretty - leafy streets, nice older homes, etc. Same goes for the stretch around Morrison on the opposite side of Davis. Nice old streetcar suburbs with the bike path and the T right nearby. Parking on the street is easy if you have a car, and many places have off-street parking. The positive here is that Davis is still a good deal less expensive than Harvard or the South End, so your money will go further. Davis Square itself is a nicer square than Porter. The T from Davis and Porter is very easy and very direct.

The North End is nice, but I wouldn't call it "calm." The main streets (Hanover and Salem) are busy, and the neighborhood itself is very, very dense (I believe the densest in Boston). Some of the side streets are quieter and calmer, but I don't know that you'll find a calming 800 square feet and a balcony there. Parking will be a big pain.

Charlestown is nice and you may find what you like, but it is on the more densely populated end, and unless you're driving, the commute to Kendall is a bit indirect and will require some transfers and a good deal of walking. I'd pick Harvard or Davis over Charlestown.

I'd add the Union Square area of Somerville, and the Inman Square area of Cambridge to your list. Not dissimilar from Davis in that they are nice little hubs with some more pleasant residential streets surrounding them. Both have direct bus service that'll get you from home to your office in 20 minutes or less. In fact, depending on where you ended up near Inman Square and where in the Kendall square your office is, you could walk from home to work in 15-20 minutes.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:15 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Recommending the North End if your idea of beauty is water and a little European flair. The South End is quaint and picturesque. Add Jamaica Plain to your list. The areas around Moss Hill, the Pond and the north end of Centre Street are especially graceful in architecture and landscaping.

Porter Square, Davis and Union Square are fun but not pretty.

The most beautiful section of Somerville is the Spring Hill area behind Union around Highland Avenue. If you are willing to be a little farther out, West Medford is attractive in most parts.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:22 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
I wouldn't recommend any of those, except South End (which isn't ideal for commute) for peaceful and calm, and beautiful.

Some side streets (some) near Inman might work, probably not "beautiful" though. There are great places that are easy access to Kendall, but beautiful? I dunno. Pairing that with peaceful and calm is a tough billing. A quite street in the Inman neighborhood is probably best.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:36 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,119,515 times
Moss hill was a great suggestion, Anything that side of the Jamaica Pond is the definition of beautiful. There are not many rentals that side of things. And the MBTA is not as accessible.

Cambridgeport also comes to mind as beautiful I think it's the right balance of everything. Of course this commute to Kendall would be much more glorious, and you could even walk on nice days.

The North end is beautiful to some.... Depends what you think that means to you. I think it's a congested tourist trap, and not close enough to the real beauty of this city which to me is the river, the connecting parks and trails.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:59 AM

Oh yeah, Cambridgeport has some side streets on the more chill side. Good call. Walkable and definitely bikeable.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:41 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,836,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I think you would do well in Harvard Square if you can find something in your budget. It's a great spot, beautiful, and would make for an easy commute. If you want calm, look to the west of the square (West Cambridge) itself. If you're looking at Google maps, I'm talking about the area between Mt. Auburn and Brattle Streets. You'll find leafy streets, nice old homes, and an overall peaceful atmosphere. The Square itself isn't exactly calm.
Absolutely true but why stop at Brattle; you'll find beauty and calm in the entire triangle between Mt Auburn, Huron Ave and Mass Ave.

Quote:
Porter itself isn't beautiful. I'd actually look closer to Davis Square than to Porter, though the two are close together. The Orchard St. area (and the side streets between Elm and Mass. Ave.) is really pretty - leafy streets, nice older homes, etc. Same goes for the stretch around Morrison on the opposite side of Davis.
Agree on Orchard, etc. While Porter itself isn't beautiful, Avon Hill certainly is, and that takes up an area adjacent to Porter Sq. from Linnean Street to Upland Rd.

Quote:
I'd add the Union Square area of Somerville, and the Inman Square area of Cambridge to your list. Not dissimilar from Davis in that they are nice little hubs with some more pleasant residential streets surrounding them. Both have direct bus service that'll get you from home to your office in 20 minutes or less.
I love those streets between Cambridge St and Mass Avenue-- Dana, Hancock, Antrim, Inman, Bigelow, Maple Ave, etc. Very tranquil, beautiful 19th century wood frame houses, nice apartment buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Add Jamaica Plain to your list. The areas around Moss Hill, the Pond and the north end of Centre Street are especially graceful in architecture and landscaping.
Jamaica Plain really has some lovely tranquil neighborhoods. Moss Hill and Pondside, sure, but also many of the streets closer to the orange line. Look at Sumner Hill--e.g., Greenough Ave, Alveston St, etc. Or Rockview, Chestnut and Parley Vale.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:22 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Is anyone else surprised the OP can't find an 800 sq foot place in Beacon Hill for 3k.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:26 PM

12,839 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Is anyone else surprised the OP can't find an 800 sq foot place in Beacon Hill for 3k.
Nope. The private outdoor space (balcony/patio/roof deck, etc.) and the 800 square feet requirements/preferences make it tricky. Especially if you want one in decent shape. I think it can be done, but there's a limited amount that checks all the OP's boxes in Beacon Hill for under $3,100. Especially relative to other neighborhoods mentioned here.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:19 PM

800 sq ft is a pretty big space
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston