Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2022, 08:29 AM

23,738 posts, read 18,846,573 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Wu's Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 08:49 AM

16,636 posts, read 8,354,811 times
I wonder why crime has increased so much at the T. I would think there's way less ridership these days...maybe that has presented an opportunity for increased crime?

I saw this woman was hit by a train over the weekend:

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local...ision/2619711/

Seems kind of suspicious, i wondered if it was a suicide but the articles don't seem to hint at that.

Old 01-25-2022, 09:09 AM

12,930 posts, read 22,099,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I wonder why crime has increased so much at the T. I would think there's way less ridership these days...maybe that has presented an opportunity for increased crime?

I saw this woman was hit by a train over the weekend:

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local...ision/2619711/

Seems kind of suspicious, i wondered if it was a suicide but the articles don't seem to hint at that.
T ridership is still well below pre-pandemic levels, but a lot of people are riding. I'm on it nearly every day and no matter what time I'm riding, it's never empty enough to really encourage the type of activity in BBMM's posts. The stations are all extremely well monitored both in person and by some incredibly high tech and comprehensive cameras (I took a tour of the operations center a few years back - they have facial recognition, high definition, and every angle covered with staff monitoring 24/7. So if I'm looking for answers, I wouldn't start by looking at ridership numbers.

The lady's death appears to be completely accidental and the result of human error (the track maintenance employee forgot to enable the signal after servicing it) so the gates failed to work when the train was approaching. A tragedy.

Old 01-25-2022, 09:42 AM

337 posts, read 269,582 times
Btw- does anyone here have thoughts on the new DA, Kevin Hayden? He seems great from what I know of him, but I don't know if anyone here has more insight.

Old 01-25-2022, 12:39 PM

21,745 posts, read 12,880,468 times
Irfox, half the time I’m at smaller subway stations I don’t see any MBTA personnel at all. Rarely do I ever notice a transit police presence.

Old 01-25-2022, 01:06 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,448,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
The stations are all extremely well monitored both in person and by some incredibly high tech and comprehensive cameras (I took a tour of the operations center a few years back - they have facial recognition, high definition, and every angle covered with staff monitoring 24/7.
The type of people who commit these crimes aren't blessed with an abundance of rational thought. Yes we have cameras everywhere, but does it actually stop crime? You get a nice crisp picture of the criminal, but the crime still happens. He gets arrested, and there's another one to take his place.

Old 01-25-2022, 01:48 PM

12,930 posts, read 22,099,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Irfox, half the time I’m at smaller subway stations I don’t see any MBTA personnel at all. Rarely do I ever notice a transit police presence.
That's fair. I can't speak for every station, just the ones I frequent which happen to be larger and more central. Park St., the most recent example, is one of them though. But I can see people at the smaller stations (especially at off hours) being pretty easy targets with or without cameras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
The type of people who commit these crimes aren't blessed with an abundance of rational thought. Yes we have cameras everywhere, but does it actually stop crime? You get a nice crisp picture of the criminal, but the crime still happens. He gets arrested, and there's another one to take his place.
This is true and it's also part of the reason why I'm not convinced current ridership is a big factor. Park St. is pretty active at 8pm on a Saturday - would a few more have prevented a few irrational teens from doing this?

I have no idea what the answer is to stop crime on the T (though I'm sure more employee presence would help), but I don't think lower ridership is the cause of it.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:06 PM

5,126 posts, read 2,702,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
MBTA Police at full staffing levels have about 250 sworn personnel. I understand they are woefully understaffed right now. Given the need to cover three shifts and a huge patrol area, as well as the fact that out of the 250 some are managers and/or special units, how many patrol officers would you expect to see on the platforms of smaller stations? At least they won't be accused of "over policing."

Old 01-27-2022, 06:41 AM

21,745 posts, read 12,880,468 times
DOWNTOWN: Street robbery, gun shown to vict, Haymarket elevator, sounds a like a T event but BPD detectives handling for now
#906pm

https://twitter.com/StacoS/status/14...531303938?s=20
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston