Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2021, 07:20 AM

1,397 posts, read 865,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Then the people you reference are capable of traveling, but when it comes to researching their destination choices are completely devoid of that capability? Please. I've been in many major cities and have trudged through many neighborhoods that were never marketed to me. Boston is no different than any other city in that regard. People go where they have an interest and they don't go where they don't, regardless of glossy brochures.
You have to know something exists to be interested in it. If you knew the Boston area was home to the second largest concentration of Brazilians in usa outside of Florida maybe you’d go to a Brazilian restaurant instead of eating in the north end for the 800th time...I’ll give you some differences in marketing later
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 07:21 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,067,645 times
Google, motherf*cker! Do you use it? If you did you would have known it was Framingham, not Boston, and when it comes to Boston itself there's exactly one Brazilian restaurant if you don't count Fogo. But of course it's much easier to just prattle out what sounds good to you instead of doing actual research.

Now, there's plenty in Somerville, but everyone knows about it already and goes there all the time because while Somerville is known for many things, daily shootings isn't one if them. That and it's very easy to get to and there are plenty of other things to do after you eat. No ten million dollar imovie videos made by unelected heronner's friend or relative needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
You have to know something exists to be interested in it. If you knew the Boston area was home to the second largest concentration of Brazilians outside of Florida maybe you’d go to a Brazilian restaurant instead of eating in the north end for the 800th time...I’ll give you some differences in marketing later

Old 04-11-2021, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
Google, motherf*cker! Do you use it?
You historically could not readily find out this information on Boston tourism websites..if I’m visiting Boston shouldn’t I check those out ??

Old 04-11-2021, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Google, motherf*cker! Do you use it? If you did you would have known it was Framingham, not Boston, and when it comes to Boston itself there's exactly one Brazilian restaurant if you don't count Fogo. But of course it's much easier to just prattle out what sounds good to you instead of doing actual research.

Now, there's plenty in Somerville, but everyone knows about it already and goes there all the time because while Somerville is known for many things, daily shootings isn't one if them. That and it's very easy to get to and there are plenty of other things to do after you eat.
Plenty of Brazilian culture in and around Boston...
I highly recommend muqueca and sabor de brasil
https://m.yelp.com/search?cflt=brazi...c=Boston%2C+MA

Old 04-11-2021, 07:31 AM

Quote:

Now, there's plenty in Somerville, but everyone knows about it already and goes there all the time because while Somerville is known for many things, daily shootings isn't one if them. That and it's very easy to get to and there are plenty of other things to do after you eat. No ten million dollar imovie videos made by unelected heronner's friend or relative needed!
I said the Boston area. You’ll find plenty about harvard square. That’s not Boston either. People visiting Boston generally don’t know there’s great Brazilian food in somerville..I very much disagree...and historically you’d have a difficult time finding anything about this on tourism websites

Old 04-11-2021, 07:34 AM

23,738 posts, read 18,846,573 times
Oliveira's in Everett.

Old 04-11-2021, 07:45 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,067,645 times
That's exactly what I said - the only Brazilian restaurant in Boston itself other than Fogo. Everyone knows good Brazilian food is in Somerville, not Boston, and if they're a tourist unfamiliar with the area all it takes is three seconds on google maps and another three seconds typing "somerville crime" into google. And while everyone goes there now because it's safe, vibrant and fully gentrified no one visited back in the good old days when it was a run-down, crime-infested sh*thole known as slummerville even though muqueca back then was just as good, if not better.

Quote:
Plenty of Brazilian culture in and around Boston...
I highly recommend muqueca and sabor de brasil
https://m.yelp.com/search?cflt=brazi...c=Boston%2C+MA

Old 04-11-2021, 09:12 AM

5,126 posts, read 2,702,853 times
Quote:
You have to know something exists to be interested in it. If you knew the Boston area was home to the second largest concentration of Brazilians in usa outside of Florida maybe you’d go to a Brazilian restaurant instead of eating in the north end for the 800th time...I’ll give you some differences in marketing later
People eat in the North End because it's proximate to downtown, which is the area most people visit. They visit primarily to see the history of the nation, not the history of specific ethnic or racial groups. Those who are interested in the latter, are quite aware of where those demographics live because that's what they look for. Few tourists will be interested in going into unfamiliar neighborhoods just for a meal. If people like you got your way, the neighborhoods would be "touristified" to the extent they were marketable and on glossy brochures and it would make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. But, unfortunately for those who live in those areas, it would develop to an extent many would be priced the hell out of there. But then, that's not what people who think like you really care about. It's only about that warm and fuzzy. And if you've eaten in the North End 800 times it means you're a local, and if you don't know what's around you in the surrounding area it's because you're not looking beyond the bridge of your own nose. Not anyone else's problem.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 04-11-2021 at 09:40 AM..

Old 04-11-2021, 09:16 AM

5,126 posts, read 2,702,853 times
Quote:
You historically could not readily find out this information on Boston tourism websites..if I’m visiting Boston shouldn’t I check those out ??
Boston tourism websites are for 1) lazy and/or not that bright/not intellectually curious people and 2) people who are interested in seeing the history of Boston proper and its major attractions, not its annexed neighborhoods. This is no different than tourist websites for any other travel destination. If someone is visiting a place for a week (2 at most) they don't have time or interest in going beyond a certain scope. Tourists don't generally visit Southie either because there isn't much to see, and they visit Charlestown only because it's part of the history of the nation not because it's home to Irish immigrants a bulk of whom live in the projects.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:25 AM

23,738 posts, read 18,846,573 times
A grandmother in her 70s was shot to death by a gunman on Olney St. in the notorious Bowdoin/Geneva area of Dorchester. The bullet was "meant for somebody else". Ughhh.

Also, Sully's Barber Shop in Mission Hill (near Brigham Circle) was shot up. Stolen motorcycle used in the shooting, was later found torched on George St. in Roxbury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston