Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2022, 03:25 PM

23,619 posts, read 18,740,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Don’t post under the influence.

Brookline and Newton started bussing black kids form Boston in a decade before South Boston and Charlestown, it’s just they weren’t thuggish Neanderthals like the aforementioned city neighborhood residents. They’re the two single largest importers of black Boston students in the state.

OK so they willingly took in some mostly middle-class, politically connected METCO kids. I guess props to them, but I think the real thing to ask is how well received it would been be if these suburban judges had THEIR kids bussed to Dorchester High while told "all slots are full" at Brookline High.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 03:41 PM

21,650 posts, read 12,800,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
OK so they willingly took in some mostly middle-class, politically connected METCO kids. I guess props to them, but I think the real thing to ask is how well received it would been be if these suburban judges had THEIR kids bussed to Dorchester High while told "all slots are full" at Brookline High.
Yep. because everyone knows the signs said “(Arguably) Middle Class N****s Go Home!”

I’d love the evidence of how middle class METCO students are especially relative to suburban kids.

Old 02-21-2022, 03:42 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,075,529 times
Quote:
Don’t post under the influence.

Brookline and Newton started bussing black kids form Boston in a decade before South Boston and Charlestown, it’s just they weren’t thuggish Neanderthals like the aforementioned city neighborhood residents. They’re the two single largest importers of black Boston students in the state.
You mean a couple token METCO kids with non-custom name, no killa/gunna/stunna/etc nickname, educated parents and better English than the queen herself?

And don’t hold it back homie, tell us what you really think about them whities! Make your role model Minister Farrakhan proud!

Old 02-21-2022, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Yep. because everyone knows the signs said “(Arguably) Middle Class N****s Go Home!”

I’d love the evidence of how middle class METCO students are especially relative to suburban kids.

I'm obviously not talking about the "people with signs", but the people in power who imposed this. Point is it wasn't being imposed on them.

And come on, you need "evidence"?

That's a well known fact about METCO, and a big reason why it receives much criticism.

Old 02-21-2022, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I'm obviously not talking about the "people with signs", but the people in power who imposed this. Point is it wasn't being imposed on them.

And come on, you need "evidence"?

That's a well known fact about METCO, and a big reason why it receives much criticism.
Ive heard this but I’d genuinely want to see more research on this. It’s not like they’re upper middle class kids, but certainly from more functional families in my experience.

Old 02-21-2022, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
You mean a couple token METCO kids with non-custom name, no killa/gunna/stunna/etc nickname, educated parents and better English than the queen herself?

And don’t hold it back homie, tell us what you really think about them whities! Make your role model Minister Farrakhan proud!
That’s all a push. A lot - most- METCO kids have nicknames (bizzare) and ethnic names (bizzare). They’re parents certainly aren’t speaking the queens English. but are decently educated. But not always. Plenty METCO kids from single parent and co-parent homes.

Most kids your describing actually live in the suburbs.

Old 02-21-2022, 04:37 PM

Southie and Charlestown weren’t willing to take ANY black kids.

Old 02-21-2022, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Ive heard this but I’d genuinely want to see more research on this. It’s not like they’re upper middle class kids, but certainly from more functional families in my experience.

I didn't say they were all upper middle class, but overwhelmingly not what anybody would call "disadvantaged" kids. The selection process is not transparent at all, it's very political. METCO students are the types who generally would have done OK anywhere, and the effect they have on BPS is similar to what people accuse the exam schools of (they siphon the "good" kids away from the system). Meanwhile, they were given opportunities that a white kid growing up in the Southie projects never would have had.

I don't know about "research", but I would imagine that via. some immediate family's past work I have more inside knowledge of this system than most posting here.

Old 02-21-2022, 07:48 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,075,529 times
Quote:
Southie and Charlestown weren’t willing to take ANY black kids.
Homie, unlike Brookline and Newton Southie and Charlestown didn’t get to pick and choose which black kids they were taking. They didn’t get the crème de la crème METCO population who were on average a whole lot “whiter” than the lily-white judgegarritylings, instead they got busloads upon busloads of laquan da killas and jaquan da murdaras.

Old 02-22-2022, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
Homie, unlike Brookline and Newton Southie and Charlestown didn’t get to pick and choose which black kids they were taking. They didn’t get the crème de la crème METCO population who were on average a whole lot “whiter” than the lily-white judgegarritylings, instead they got busloads upon busloads of laquan da killas and jaquan da murdaras.
Nope. Didn’t happen because of the hate and violence black students faced getting to the school I’m surprised they didn’t stab/shoot more kids they weren’t given a chance to be regular students. Tbh if I got off the bus I would’ve started fighting within a few hours just base off the hostility. The toxic environment white communities created Ed to adverse mental health effects in generations of black kids. It’s a fact that most of the current Boston black gangs formed in the mid 1980s…. in 1974 most of Bostons serious crime was white in white or white on black violence. South Boston probably was more gang entrenched than Roxbury back then.

The fact of the matter is all through the 70s and 80s all over MA the standard white reaction to integration was threats and violence. They did it to Cambodians in Lowell and Revere, they did it to Latinos in Lawrence and Springfield, it’s just how a segment of the white populations acted by default. It didn’t lay the groundwork for cohesive neighborhoods or assimilation. Boston was jus an extreme example of that.

I’ve said it a thousand times and I will say. Again my dads arrived in Boston in 1977 and he always says he’d never seen such ignorant backward poor white people in his life. He said in those days Boston made Trenton look like the Shangri-La. You can glaze over that fact and blame imaginary black people because you’re a racist individual-but we all know what’s true.

Now what happened in BPS after that tumultuous period is to blame on a bit of everybody. But we’re not going to blame the decline of schools on integration with was 20 years delayed.

Failure to comply with federal standards, emotionally and physically abusive teachers, racism, and poor funding model precipitated the Garritty mandate. After that truancy, fights, poor teacher quality then gangs, gun violence, low standards, then came the fracturing of the system with charters, rampant closings and openings/reshuffling, crumbling buildings, incompetent cronyism, too powerful unions. And the list goes on but there’s an order of events here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston