Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2021, 01:51 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,342,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Well I didn't get anything from anyone to date. This is a pretty pointless conversation. I think we can see that there are plenty of white people who do not benefit from the inheritances that you seem to think they do.
I am not negating that. I know there are plenty of poor white people in MA and in America in general. WV is the 3rd whitest state in the US and the poorest state in the US.

This doesn't mean that on average in Boston there is a pretty striking difference in term of wealth (and income) between whites and blacks and even if you inherit a small house is better than nothing.

I am sorry if you haven't inherited anything but that's not really the point when talking about averages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 01:53 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,064,231 times
Let's do some simple math then - all those benefits are worth at least $5000 a month if you're on a dole in an expensive city like Boston, how much do you need to invest so you, your kids, their kids, etc receive $5000 per month post-tax in perpetuity? Let's keep it simple and ignore inflation, otherwise it would meet to be a lot more than $5000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
The 200,000$. I have lived next to the building you talk about and most of them are absolute @#$%. You can sell the teardown and get the 200k.

Old 04-09-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
Let's do some simple math then - all those benefits are worth at least $5000 a month if you're on a dole in an expensive city like Boston, how much do you need to invest so you, your kids, their kids, etc receive $5000 per month post-tax in perpetuity? Let's keep it simple and ignore inflation, otherwise it would meet to be a lot more than $5000.
Do you seriously think that people that live in projects live large?
Why don't you give away everything you have and move to Boston, you would qualify for the spectacular life you are imagining.

Old 04-09-2021, 01:56 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
So are you saying anyone who didn't get some type of inheritance from family is poor?

I agree that there are some filthy rich people in Boston. Some of them, based on their jobs, it seems obvious that they are trust fund babies.

I'm sorry I haven't inherited anything yet as well. Ha. I also know plenty of other people who have done very well on their own without getting any hand me downs either.

This feels like a spoiled/entitled conversation to be honest. I sure hope I raise my kids so they aren't someday sitting around waiting for my, my husband and my parents to die so they can cash in on our homes. But I guess once we do they will be better off because of it. I wasn't as lucky as them.

Old 04-09-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
So are you saying anyone who didn't get some type of inheritance from family is poor?
I have never said that. You said that inheriting 200k is like inheriting nothing which, to me, is nonsense.

Old 04-09-2021, 02:24 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
Enlighten me, why does an immigrant from Nigeria who comes here with not a penny to his name and doesn't know a word in English has a house and plenty of money in 10 years, yet all those Nubian Kings and Queens in Roxbury have $8 net worth despite having trillions of taxpayer dollars spent to get them out of poverty? Could it be that they are simply enjoying all the freebies and not worrying about tomorrow while everyone else is being taxed to death?
lol the answer is so obvious and easily understood. Id recommend you stop by the nearest 8th grade social studies class.

Old 04-09-2021, 03:08 PM

5,114 posts, read 2,668,728 times
Quote:
I just dont think the majority of white families get much wealth from a home their grandparents had unless it was in the millions...which i suppose is more likely these days.

I dunno...just seems like people are hell bent on making excuses for black people? I mean i know plenty of rich whites and asisns who certainly benefitted from family money. That has nothing to do with me or my situation thought. Lucky them...? If you're trying to say blacks just weren't allowed certain things hundreds of years ago then I apologize but it's not excuse for the way someone and their family are today.

If you're waiting for me to have an aha moment and say ok yes this is why so many black people are poor it's just not gonna happen from me.
It's not black people who need excuses, it's the elite white people who created the conditions under which many poor blacks have been raised to believe that they actually need those elite white people. This is definitely a white people made problem, it's just not the average run-of-the-mill working or middle class white person's making. They and the poor black are the scapegoats. It's all about control and power and when everyone is at each other's throats over things that don't really matter, the elite whites (and their cohorts) run away with the loot! The evidence is there for anyone who takes a long hard look.

Old 04-09-2021, 04:47 PM

1,393 posts, read 861,365 times
Quote:

I agree that there are some filthy rich people in Boston. Some of them, based on their jobs, it seems obvious that they are trust fund babies.

I'm sorry I haven't inherited anything yet as well. Ha. I also know plenty of other people who have done very well on their own without getting any hand me downs either.

This feels like a spoiled/entitled conversation to be honest. I sure hope I raise my kids so they aren't someday sitting around waiting for my, my husband and my parents to die so they can cash in on our homes. But I guess once we do they will be better off because of it. I wasn't as lucky as them.
Who’s talking about trust fund babies..black wealth in Boston is 6 dollars...the average black family has 6 dollars to their name. Whether you inherited money or not you likely grew up in a family that could provide for you to make career choices you wanted

Old 04-09-2021, 04:58 PM

Well no, you tell me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
lol the answer is so obvious and easily understood. Id recommend you stop by the nearest 8th grade social studies class.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:01 PM

Six dollars you say? Now, tell me how much you need to invest to be paid $5000 or so a month in perpetuity - that’s how much an average black family on the dole in Boston is worth if you don’t account for inflation which would make that number a whole lot bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Who’s talking about trust fund babies..black wealth in Boston is 6 dollars...the average black family has 6 dollars to their name. Whether you inherited money or not you likely grew up in a family that could provide for you to make career choices you wanted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston