Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 12:07 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times

Advertisements

I like the Southwest Cooridor as much as the next guy, but unless the OP is interested in visiting Sam Adams or Jamaica Pond I don't think the path has much appeal to a tourist.

I don't know when OP is coming, but I remember that Memorial Drive was closed to cars on Sundays last year. That'd be a great urban biking opportunity if they do it again and it lines up with the OP's visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 02:30 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,319,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I like the Southwest Cooridor as much as the next guy, but unless the OP is interested in visiting Sam Adams or Jamaica Pond I don't think the path has much appeal to a tourist.

I don't know when OP is coming, but I remember that Memorial Drive was closed to cars on Sundays last year. That'd be a great urban biking opportunity if they do it again and it lines up with the OP's visit.
As you've also posted previously, between Copley and Mass Ave the corridor is also not a very viable stretch to ride through. There's enough pedestrian/dog traffic along that stretch that a responsible cyclist should be walking their bike along that part (or ride the wrong way down Carleton) anyway.

Doesn't stop the tour groups from riding through there a couple times per week in the summer though, but that's a rant for a different thread.

Having said that, it draws quite a few tourists on foot. My guess is it's appealing to the urban sightseers or people looking for some nice pics that aren't Beacon Hill. You can get some lovely pics that have a mix of glass/steel (a la 200 Clarendon), Victorian brownstones, and green space along that stretch.

Old 02-16-2022, 02:57 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
The Southwest Corridor has zero appeal to a tourist, not to mention it goes through a very unsafe part of the city. BAD suggestion.

Old 02-16-2022, 03:37 PM

5,094 posts, read 2,658,571 times
It's also not the greatest of road conditions. I've ridden it quite a bit with hybrid tires but I wouldn't recommend it for touring or racing type tires. Better off around the Charles. I also wouldn't ride around the Freedom Trail and downtown for two reasons. First, you will need to lock it up every time you stop. Second, locking it up doesn't guarantee it will be there when you return. If you're interested in touring downtown venues leave your bike at home base and walk. You might want to take your bike out to UMass on the Red line and ride along Day Blvd to Castle Island in Southie.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 02-16-2022 at 03:45 PM..

Old 02-16-2022, 06:56 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
First, you will need to lock it up every time you stop. Second, locking it up doesn't guarantee it will be there when you return.
If the OP uses blue bikes, they wouldn’t need to worry about this.

Old 02-16-2022, 07:25 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,765,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
The Southwest Corridor has zero appeal to a tourist, not to mention it goes through a very unsafe part of the city. BAD suggestion.

Unless the O.P. is riding in the middle of the night, he/she should be fine. I've walked and ridden on that path numerous times during the daytime and find the southern section of it from Stony Brook southwards to be the most pleasant. Yeah the section close to Northeastern University can be a bit shady at night but during the daytime, there should be no problem. BTW, I don't know which part of the city you're referring to as very unsafe. Do you mean the Bromley-Heath Housing Projects? The surrounding area is now very gentrified and unless you're actually riding straight into the projects, which the path does not take you, you should be fine.

Old 02-16-2022, 07:58 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,690,271 times
Update: I'm really liking what I see in Boston. I checked out google maps and really love the stuff I'll be able to check out around the North Church? Paul Reveres house. That whole area

Is there a good parking garage around there that I could park? I checked google and it looks like a lot of parking garages but not sure if they are public or not. Doesn't really say.

If anybody knows a good centrally located parking garage where I could park and walk out and explore a 3-4 mile area I'd love to know

Old 02-16-2022, 08:20 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Unless the O.P. is riding in the middle of the night, he/she should be fine. I've walked and ridden on that path numerous times during the daytime and find the southern section of it from Stony Brook southwards to be the most pleasant. Yeah the section close to Northeastern University can be a bit shady at night but during the daytime, there should be no problem. BTW, I don't know which part of the city you're referring to as very unsafe. Do you mean the Bromley-Heath Housing Projects? The surrounding area is now very gentrified and unless you're actually riding straight into the projects, which the path does not take you, you should be fine.

It's right next to Bromley-Heath. Sure you might pass through a dozen times without issue, but many would still consider that too close for comfort. That path literally brushes shoulders with multiple projects (including Mission Main or whatever that's called now), Roxbury Crossing/Madison Park HS. Pretty much from Northeastern down through Jackson Square, is not where I'd send a tourist especially. Either way, I see absolutely no reason to go there over the Charles River paths. If you already done that and looking for a second option, maybe head to Castle Island and whatever that path is that goes down around UMASS Boston. Good spot when the weather gets nicer. The Minuteman is nice enough but pretty boring, and if your idea is to stay in Boston then it takes you away from that.

Old 02-17-2022, 04:34 AM

5,094 posts, read 2,658,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Update: I'm really liking what I see in Boston. I checked out google maps and really love the stuff I'll be able to check out around the North Church? Paul Reveres house. That whole area

Is there a good parking garage around there that I could park? I checked google and it looks like a lot of parking garages but not sure if they are public or not. Doesn't really say.

If anybody knows a good centrally located parking garage where I could park and walk out and explore a 3-4 mile area I'd love to know
https://www.massconvention.com/about...-common-garage

https://www.governmentcentergarage.com/

Old 02-17-2022, 06:51 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,690,271 times
Thank you so much! favorited!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston