Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 04:17 AM

5,100 posts, read 2,661,482 times

Advertisements

They are both in decent locations for public transit and both have parking. Boston Street (Southie/Dorchester) location is a very short walk to Andrew Sq. Red line station which takes you directly to downtown where you can pick up either the orange or green toward Fenway. The Green line is slower but more direct, but no bikes allowed on it. Washington Street (Charlestown) is also not a far walk from Sullivan Sq Orange line stop which also takes you to downtown and the green lines. This location is closer to the North End and Freedom trail sites and only a couple stops from North Station Green line transfers. The advantage to Boston Street is that it's closer to UMass and the Southie beach area which makes for a good bike ride but it's a little further from downtown. Neither spots are the greatest to bike directly out of as the areas immediately surrounding them are somewhat industrial and high traffic with not great biking conditions. I would do it, but wouldn't recommend it to visitors.

Which one you choose depends on which areas you intend to spend more time in, but they are both good. One is on the South side of the city and the other on the North and both are anchored to I-93.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2022, 04:37 AM

If you think you will spend more time on the Freedom Trail and downtown historical sites, your best bet is the hotel in Charlestown. It's one stop from Bunker Hill College and 2 from North Station. The Andrew Sq area has been a little sketchy of late and as a native I wouldn't hesitate to walk or bike around there, but I don't think I'd suggest it to tourists. It will also be more time consuming if your focus is the North End and Fenway.

Old 02-23-2022, 07:23 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,691,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
If you think you will spend more time on the Freedom Trail and downtown historical sites, your best bet is the hotel in Charlestown. It's one stop from Bunker Hill College and 2 from North Station. The Andrew Sq area has been a little sketchy of late and as a native I wouldn't hesitate to walk or bike around there, but I don't think I'd suggest it to tourists. It will also be more time consuming if your focus is the North End and Fenway.
Were you the poster that told me about 2 T stations around that hotel (Washington) and that I probably should take one compared to the other because of a bus terminal closer to one and it can just be a little more sketchy? I can't find who said that and swear it was here. thanks

Old 02-23-2022, 07:32 AM

That wasn't me. There is a bus station at Sullivan as well and both are very busy during the day. There are sketchters around there like there are at every other major transit point in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston