Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 03:00 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Most places in the US have quality internet access these days. This isn't Africa. The talent will go to where the jobs are. They dont have to be in Cambridge MA.

Eli lilly is HQ'ed in Indianapolis. Walmart is HQ'ed in Bentonville, AK. Somehow this country bumpkin places manage to make it work without bring in Cambridge, MA.
You ignored all the other components (they're all generally needed), and you're wrong. Giant swaths of the U.S. have poor internet coverage. Heck, there are Commonwealth of Mass State Government Offices in the CT Valley and Western Mass still using DIAL UP internet. Big geographic swaths of Mass have poor internet. The jobs go where the talent / R&D and funding is more than the other way around.

Eli Lilly has a big lab, where? Kendall Square. Walmart is a retail company, yeah, they're all over, and it started in 1962. If it started today, it wouldn't be located there. I have no idea why you are focusing on Headquarters. They're not relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2022, 03:01 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,319,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I don't agree with the idea that the economic standard is binary - if that's what you're proposing, but it is true, that like anything else, when you have big changes impacting a large, heterogenous population, there are going to be winners and losers. If you get better restaurants and people are taking better care of their homes, and property values increase, then not all people will welcome that. Property owners will have their taxes go up with new assessments and property renters will have their rents increase. Of course higher tax revenues will allow the city/town to take better care of infrastructure and spruce up parks, etc, which is good, but it is still more $$$ out of pocket. At least in some cases, if there was a crime problem, then some of the perpetrators may be forced to move out because they can't afford to live there anymore. The people left behind and those moving in would welcome that change, but those forced out, would not.
It doesn't by definition have to be binary, but it will be because nobody's figured out how to solve income inequality. In an ideal world, the influx of money would bring everyone up, but we don't live in an ideal world and the real world kicks out the poor to make more room on the couch for the rich.

Gentrification and income inequality has happened in countless cities and even nations and none of them have created a solution to solve it. New York couldn't figure it out, San Francisco and Los Angeles couldn't figure it out, Boston's got it bad given the number of threads around here screaming about cost of living in the area. Austin and some other up-and-coming cities are watching it spiral out of control in real-time.

What I'm proposing is that doing the same thing in Springfield isn't going to suddenly bring forth a different result.

EDIT: Before it's mentioned, Denmark has come close but it took measures that would never fly in the US.

Old 08-04-2022, 03:10 PM

16,325 posts, read 8,150,917 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You ignored all the other components (they're all generally needed), and you're wrong. Giant swaths of the U.S. have poor internet coverage. Heck, there are Commonwealth of Mass State Government Offices in the CT Valley and Western Mass still using DIAL UP internet. Big geographic swaths of Mass have poor internet. The jobs go where the talent / R&D and funding is more than the other way around.

Eli Lilly has a big lab, where? Kendall Square. Walmart is a retail company, yeah, they're all over, and it started in 1962. If it started today, it wouldn't be located there. I have no idea why you are focusing on Headquarters. They're not relevant.
Oh ok, I guess you know it all huh?

So what if Eli lilly has a lab in Boston? they have labs all over the world.

I dont know of a soul in MA who has dial up internet. you're really reaching now to try to be right.

Old 08-04-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Oh ok, I guess you know it all huh?

So what if Eli lilly has a lab in Boston? they have labs all over the world.
Yes, they have labs where the talent is. Where they can attract the talent. Where the R&D. Ding ding.

Quote:
I dont know of a soul in MA who has dial up internet. you're really reaching now to try to be right.
I do. I know people who work in offices with dial up. More people in homes with dial up I suspect though you don't know a lot of people in places like Heath or Washington.

You keep saying things that make zero sense. If a company could locate in a low cost area like Speculator, NY, and have as much success as they would locating in Cambridge MA, THEY WOULD. They don't for very good reasons. The reasons have been explained, multiple times, by multiple people. You seem to think that all you need is a computer and zoom, and most work can be done anywhere; and people will go there for those jobs. NOPE.

Old 08-04-2022, 03:20 PM

Well they should get with the program then

You are not making sense either. There is no reason for companies to set up shop only in Boston anymore.

Old 08-04-2022, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Well they should get with the program then

You are not making sense either. There is no reason for companies to set up shop only in Boston anymore.

They don't "only" in Boston.

It amazes me that you know more about where a company should place their facilities than the leadership of those companies.

Old 08-04-2022, 04:21 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,810,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yes, they have labs where the talent is. Where they can attract the talent. Where the R&D. Ding ding.

I do. I know people who work in offices with dial up. More people in homes with dial up I suspect though you don't know a lot of people in places like Heath or Washington.

You keep saying things that make zero sense. If a company could locate in a low cost area like Speculator, NY, and have as much success as they would locating in Cambridge MA, THEY WOULD. They don't for very good reasons. The reasons have been explained, multiple times, by multiple people. You seem to think that all you need is a computer and zoom, and most work can be done anywhere; and people will go there for those jobs. NOPE.
Actually Washington does have high speed internet. Most of the Berkshires does as part of the last mile. Wired west was interesting.

https://www.whipcityfiber.com/washington/

Even Mt Washington
https://mountwashington-ma.gov/mount...dband-network/

Satellite internet does work as well.

https://broadbandnow.com/Massachusetts

89% of stare household have internet access
89% of that is broadcast, cell data is 9%

Old 08-04-2022, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Actually Washington does have high speed internet. Most of the Berkshires does as part of the last mile. Wired west was interesting.

https://www.whipcityfiber.com/washington/

Even Mt Washington
https://mountwashington-ma.gov/mount...dband-network/

Satellite internet does work as well.

https://broadbandnow.com/Massachusetts

89% of stare household have internet access
89% of that is broadcast, cell data is 9%
Some of Washington does. Some. Its not available to everyone/everywhere. It's not available to the family I know living there. Total non option. The government standard for "broadband" is 25 mbps. That bleeping sucks. Not good enough for many work from home tech jobs.

Having a utility in a town does not mean everyone/everywhere can access it.

You people keeping cherry picking one little thing in a big list of needs. ALL is needed for an area to thrive. Great, you have the internet? OK. Oh, no VC funding? Out of luck. Or no top talent being produced? Out of luck. Or no amenities that talent want? Out of luck. Relatively few places have the critical mass of it all to thrive. Boston, luckily, does.

Springfield does not. No matter how much the Commonwealth invests in it, like they do with it being an opportunity zone, it's not going to thrive.

The government offers incentives for businesses to locate in places like Springfield, Brockton, Fall River, etc already. They have a program just for that. If companies aren't picking those locatioins, with these economic incentives, they have their reasons.

Last edited by timberline742; 08-04-2022 at 05:52 PM..

Old 08-04-2022, 06:42 PM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I don't agree with the idea that the economic standard is binary - if that's what you're proposing, but it is true, that like anything else, when you have big changes impacting a large, heterogenous population, there are going to be winners and losers. If you get better restaurants and people are taking better care of their homes, and property values increase, then not all people will welcome that. Property owners will have their taxes go up with new assessments and property renters will have their rents increase. Of course higher tax revenues will allow the city/town to take better care of infrastructure and spruce up parks, etc, which is good, but it is still more $$$ out of pocket. At least in some cases, if there was a crime problem, then some of the perpetrators may be forced to move out because they can't afford to live there anymore. The people left behind and those moving in would welcome that change, but those forced out, would not.
Err. We have Proposition 2 1/2. If average valuation goes up, the tax rate goes down proportionally. You could have an increase of more or less than 2 1/2% per year on an individual property but the average for the city/town is capped at a 2 1/2% increase without a vote for an override.

For places like Springfield, this is moot. The labor force is a disaster. The Hartford metro has a good talent pool but Springfield doesn’t.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:45 PM

Welp looks like the good ol south shore plaza will be getting some lab space:

https://patch.com/massachusetts/brai...come-lab-space

' the suburbs are becoming increasingly attractive to life science companies that are turning away from core industry communities such as Boston and Cambridge because of skyrocketing real estate prices. One example is Moderna, which is moving its headquarters from Cambridge to its expanding Norwood campus.'

Sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston