Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 06:38 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
https://www.bostonherald.com/2023/01...er-to-the-hub/

"The Boston Police Department is putting out a call for cops from other departments to move to the city, according to a letter sent to the state chiefs of police association, with BPD citing “dire” staffing levels.

“I regret that we have to take this step, but the Boston Police Department is in a dire position,” BPD Commissioner Michael Cox wrote in a letter to the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association. “

They'll waive the residency requirement for 6 months
Sure...........cops in cushy suburbs like the "W towns" are going to want to come in and work the rough areas of Boston? W towns a rough day is catching a soccer mom in a Range Rover going 10 over the speed limit, vs Roxbury/Dorchester violent crime? Yeah right...........oh and BTW you have to live in Boston too (suddenly your net paycheck drops and you live in a crappy apartment).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2023, 12:41 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
What's going on with policing in Boston these days? I mean do they get the proper support from the city and administration, and are they allowed/encouraged to do their jobs? Because, there still seems to be a lot less pro-active policing than there was in years past. But I'm not sure if it's merely due to lack of manpower, politics or lingering Covid policies? Or something else? Bad morale? I think these are all very important questions to ask if they are looking to attract younger motivated cops to their city, as there must be rewards to balance out the drawbacks and it's not all about money. Something like a lack of manpower can be overcome with...more manpower. But if they are continuously asked to "stand down", while approaching the "streets" wearing their little kiddie gloves...it's going to be a hard sell to a cop from a surrounding community that actually supports its police (even if they offer 20% more pay or residency waivers or whatever).

Old 01-09-2023, 12:43 PM

16,318 posts, read 8,150,917 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Sure...........cops in cushy suburbs like the "W towns" are going to want to come in and work the rough areas of Boston? W towns a rough day is catching a soccer mom in a Range Rover going 10 over the speed limit, vs Roxbury/Dorchester violent crime? Yeah right...........oh and BTW you have to live in Boston too (suddenly your net paycheck drops and you live in a crappy apartment).
Look at Cohasset. It's not always as cushy as you think.

Old 01-09-2023, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Look at Cohasset. It's not always as cushy as you think.

Exactly crap goes down in every single town, but working conditions are still going to be better in an affluent bedroom community versus the inner city.

Old 01-09-2023, 12:54 PM

5,094 posts, read 2,658,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
What's going on with policing in Boston these days? I mean do they get the proper support from the city and administration, and are they allowed/encouraged to do their jobs? Because, there still seems to be a lot less pro-active policing than there was in years past. But I'm not sure if it's merely due to lack of manpower, politics or lingering Covid policies? Or something else? Bad morale? I think these are all very important questions to ask if they are looking to attract younger motivated cops to their city, as there must be rewards to balance out the drawbacks and it's not all about money. Something like a lack of manpower can be overcome with...more manpower. But if they are continuously asked to "stand down", while approaching the "streets" wearing their little kiddie gloves...it's going to be a hard sell to a cop from a surrounding community that actually supports its police (even if they offer 20% more pay or residency waivers or whatever).
Part of it I think is the current anti-police culture which inhibits a lot of officers from being proactive. If you are put on the defensive for every action you take, why go looking for more problems? Another part is manpower. If 911 has you running ragged, processing arrests, and writing reports that doesn't leave much time for proactive policing. I've also noticed Boston Police having more disinterested cops than other departments since I can remember. I'm not saying they are all like that, but I've noticed more cops in Boston who seem less interested in being really good at what they do. In some cases it's probably a morale problem and in other cases I'm guessing it's the standard Boston city worker sour-grapes entitlement attitude or an I'm better than you attitude (which ironically often comes from low self-esteem) . All that said, it's not an easy job by any means.

Old 01-09-2023, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Part of it I think is the current anti-police culture which inhibits a lot of officers from being proactive. If you are put on the defensive for every action you take, why go looking for more problems? Another part is manpower. If 911 has you running ragged, processing arrests, and writing reports that doesn't leave much time for proactive policing. I've also noticed Boston Police having more disinterested cops than other departments since I can remember. I'm not saying they are all like that, but I've noticed more cops in Boston who seem less interested in being really good at what they do. In some cases it's probably a morale problem and in other cases I'm guessing it's the standard Boston city worker sour-grapes entitlement attitude or an I'm better than you attitude (which ironically often comes from low self-esteem) . All that said, it's not an easy job by any means.

Well considering interest in the profession seems to be at an all time low and they can't get enough quality recruits, there clearly needs to be more incentive. Sounds like the residency requirement needs to be scrapped immediately, for one. Things like changing the culture (within the community as well as the department itself), are much greater challenges that none of our current leaders really seem up to.

Old 01-09-2023, 01:25 PM

Yes, I imagine race is an issue as far as working as a cop in Boston these days. It really seems like the cops get in trouble for arresting or questioning anyone who is a POC. It's like the cops are supposed to be patrol those communities but not actually do anything.

I think a lot of the cops in Boston start out with good attitudes but it takes its toll. I hear you generally arrest the same people over and over and they are released every time.

Old 01-09-2023, 04:03 PM

5,094 posts, read 2,658,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Well considering interest in the profession seems to be at an all time low and they can't get enough quality recruits, there clearly needs to be more incentive. Sounds like the residency requirement needs to be scrapped immediately, for one. Things like changing the culture (within the community as well as the department itself), are much greater challenges that none of our current leaders really seem up to.
I think residency preference is fine, but the residency requirement I think needs to go. There is a case to be made for certain public safety officials to be required to live within x miles of Boston, but I think the residency rule as it applies to all city workers is no longer serving a valid purpose. The only ones that should be held to it are elected officials and political appointees.

Old 01-10-2023, 08:49 AM

2,079 posts, read 1,124,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
I think residency preference is fine, but the residency requirement I think needs to go. There is a case to be made for certain public safety officials to be required to live within x miles of Boston, but I think the residency rule as it applies to all city workers is no longer serving a valid purpose. The only ones that should be held to it are elected officials and political appointees.

Yes, the compulsory residency requirement is not great. They should think of incentivizing residency in salary terms, maybe a bonus type deal. People don’t like to be told where to live. Bostonians don’t conform well to the soviet model, in my mind.

Old 01-10-2023, 09:15 AM

In the military they give you BHA based on what city you live in. Seems to make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston