Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 11:18 PM

2,948 posts, read 5,195,279 times

Advertisements

Wow, and I just passed by there on foot a couple weeks ago. One could easily see through
the club's windows all the members working out. Total lack of privacy for an expensive gym -- but I guess a voyeur's delight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2024, 04:03 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,840,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I'm curious why Brookline Booksmith never opened another location.
My impression is that Booksmith went the other way, from a number of outlets around Boston (under the name "Paperback Booksmith") to the single location in Coolidge Corner. I don't know much about the business but with internet ordering I wonder whether the cost of multiple locations outweighs the marginal benefit in greater walk-in traffic. Harvard Bookstore has a golden location and so does the Brookline Booksmith. Loyalists can easily order from them if they can't get there conveniently.

Old 02-12-2024, 06:20 PM

3,222 posts, read 2,125,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
My impression is that Booksmith went the other way, from a number of outlets around Boston (under the name "Paperback Booksmith") to the single location in Coolidge Corner. I don't know much about the business but with internet ordering I wonder whether the cost of multiple locations outweighs the marginal benefit in greater walk-in traffic. Harvard Bookstore has a golden location and so does the Brookline Booksmith. Loyalists can easily order from them if they can't get there conveniently.
Both of those stores also hold a multitude of events, book clubs, and author signings as well as many other social events that you can't get online. I think that's why people are loyalists. You don't know what you got, till it's gone.

Old 02-12-2024, 08:35 PM

3,803 posts, read 2,700,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Both of those stores also hold a multitude of events, book clubs, and author signings as well as many other social events that you can't get online. I think that's why people are loyalists. You don't know what you got, till it's gone.
The last couple of readings/author signings I have attended were nothing like those of 10+ years ago, and they came with a fee to boot. The industry isn’t supporting readers as they had in years past. They’re making their own bed.

Old 02-25-2024, 06:08 PM

https://www.cambridgeday.com/2024/02...author-events/
looks like they are now spending significant money into the existing store. john henry is a co-owner.interesting.

Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM

LIFETIME Fitness now has their signs up at the location.
No books for you. Enjoy your expensive tan-bro-oasis.

Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,675,087 times
I guess that will fill the void from BSC's departure. Good to see some much needed competition in the fitness industry around here.

Old Today, 01:21 AM

2,948 posts, read 5,195,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
LIFETIME Fitness now has their signs up at the location.
No books for you. Enjoy your expensive tan-bro-oasis.
But I've read it'll open in late 2025! What a tease!

And I noticed Lifetime Fitness replaced Boston Sports Club in Wellington Circle in Medford. I think BSC Medford closed in the pandemic like all the BSCs and all other clubs.... but some BSCs finally reopened, but others didn't, like I think in Medford?

Is Lifetime considered on the same level as Equinox in terms of price and prestige? I've read that in Manhattan, not all Equinox locations are as desired as others, not exactly the same amenities at all locations, perhaps?

Old Today, 06:33 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,675,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post

Is Lifetime considered on the same level as Equinox in terms of price and prestige? I've read that in Manhattan, not all Equinox locations are as desired as others, not exactly the same amenities at all locations, perhaps?
As a chain it's generally lower than Equinox and higher than BSC. They vary in price by location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston