Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2024, 11:08 PM

2,948 posts, read 5,195,279 times

Advertisements

Hmmm....the Globe had a story on a second location for Harvard Bookstore, to open at the Pru. But the article was well over a year.ago, I'm almost sure.

I've asked numerous times since whenever I pass the guest services desk at the Pru, and those folks have had no idea of its opening.

It's the former Barnes &Noble space, so it was encouraging to hear that it would be occupied by another bookstore -- and a local one to boot.

Even the facade had been set up announcing its arrival....but that was put up ages ago.

So, I finally called their location in Harvard Square tonight...even the employee answering had no idea when (IF????) it will open, and didn't sound optimistic.

Well, at least it's better than a truly empty space there as it's a design of bookshelves and looks classy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2024, 05:14 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,675,087 times
Yeah, every time I go in there--which isn't all that often--I think it might be open and it never is. It's been a long time since they announced it.

Old 01-23-2024, 06:52 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,774,194 times
I don't know if it is playing a role in the opening of the bookstore but Harvard Univ. has been in the news for the wrong reasons lately. That might be a reason for holding off opening a second location esp. in a space that is conducive to protests.

Old 01-23-2024, 08:08 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I don't know if it is playing a role in the opening of the bookstore but Harvard Univ. has been in the news for the wrong reasons lately. That might be a reason for holding off opening a second location esp. in a space that is conducive to protests.
This isn’t the Coop. The Harvard Bookstore is an independent bookstore that has nothing to do with the University, other than being located in Harvard Square.

Old 01-24-2024, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
It's an independently owned bookstore. They have cited "industry-wide" delays as the underlying reason, whatever that means. But that status hasn't changed since early 2023. Maybe they are having trouble getting sufficient inventory.

Old 01-24-2024, 11:28 AM

16,416 posts, read 8,223,904 times
Bookstores seem to be closing left and right...opening a Harvard bookstore in the Pru is interesting...I guess there's a lot of foot traffic in that area, I could see people going in during lunch...?? I dunno. People rarely even shop for clothes anymore in the store...they do it online.

Old 01-24-2024, 11:38 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,728,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Bookstores seem to be closing left and right...opening a Harvard bookstore in the Pru is interesting...I guess there's a lot of foot traffic in that area, I could see people going in during lunch...?? I dunno. People rarely even shop for clothes anymore in the store...they do it online.
Indy bookstores are a rare growth area in retail. In the last few years, they've been expanding.

It's a surprising and very welcome development.

I had totally forgotten that Harvard Bookstore was supposed to open in the Pru. I hope it does.

Old 01-24-2024, 11:44 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Bookstores are actually having a little bit of a resurgence. A number of new indie bookstores recently opened in Boston, and big booksellers like Barnes and Noble are seeing growth in visits after years of contraction. It does seem like all of the new indie shops have more than just books - cafes, event spaces, a co-op model, etc.

But I think the Pru space is around 30k sq. ft. And it's in the Pru. So it's both ambitious and expensive. I'm not holding my breath.

Old 01-24-2024, 11:51 AM

16,416 posts, read 8,223,904 times
true most bookstores I see have a cafe and with meeting spaces. Lots of people working there or even having interviews from what I've witnessed. Maybe people are using them as places to meet up these days especially with more people being remote than before.

Old 02-02-2024, 06:31 PM

An update to this story from today:
https://www.harvard.com/about/prudentialcenter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston