Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 09:26 PM

6 posts, read 26,161 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am wondering if I can have some suggestions on getting winter shoes that will keep me warm and safe in Boston area. Should I get calf high or higher? Will short boots insufficient?

May I have some links if possible?

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 05:44 AM

31 posts, read 188,984 times
These should get you through without any trouble.

Seriously though, sneakers will do. If you're walking a ways in unshoveled areas, even "short boots" will work. That big dump we had a week back... I just wore my hiking boots around until the roads were plowed. No big deal. Just please, PLEASE, don't contribute to the Uggs crowd. I'm begging you.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:39 PM

6 posts, read 26,161 times
haha, thank you for your help. I did realize Uggs is popular, but I don't know it well. I won't join the crowd. haha

Old 12-31-2008, 01:53 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,726 times
I suggest looking at ll bean, lands end, merrell shoes.

It depends also on how far you walk and where. I agree short boots will work 99.99% of the time. Shoes will work 95% of the time. Only when snow melts into slush .... it becomes problem.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:09 PM

639 posts, read 3,527,184 times
Definitely all 3 suggested are great online and also DANSKO clogs with a back on them, (the oiled leather ones last for a long time in our weather.)

Another good site for shoes is ZAPPOS, they have free shipping. You can get the Merrell or Dansko shoes there or any other style you might see. Hundreds of them!

One more place to check...OFF BROADWAY is having an end of season winter clearance sale on BOOTS this week, so check their site out to see what you think:

Home Page - Off Broadway Shoe Warehouse

Good luck!

Old 01-01-2009, 10:30 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,689,306 times
I few years back I got a great pair of boots short and lined from LLBean. I also had got a higher
pair to wear when I needed to be in heavy snow. I think those boots came from Sears. Check the
Orvis website for boots since they should be on sale, and this is the time to buy them. Besure they have good traction since there is often ice under the snow.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:58 PM

7 posts, read 26,147 times
Thumbs up Does a Brand that has been Overhyped Deserve Consideration?

"Just please, PLEASE, don't contribute to the Uggs crowd. I'm begging you."

First, I must admit I have a pair of UGG books. I can offer a disclaimer since I bought them in 2001 before they became the latest overdone fad and status symbol for the rich and fashion-conscious. I had just gotten a dog, and a fellow dog owner advised me that the only way I would make it through the cold early morning hours walking the dog was to get these boots. No need to put on sox, just sink your feet into the soft warmth of lambswool. When I saw a pair in my favorite discount shoe store, for $75, I decided to give them a try. First, note that I bought them 8 years ago. And worn them constantly during the winters. They are still as soft and warm as they were, with a worn but damp resistant outer shell. Second, I have never put on a pair of boots that were warmer or more comfortable. I have tried LL Bean boots, hiking books, Sorrell's, Speedos, and more. These top them all. So I unashamedly recommend these boots if you can afford them. Look on eBay for a barely used pair under $100. They're too pricey, but worth it.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:04 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
My kids have UGG boots, mostly purchased at the UGG outlet, but I don't think they're the best thing for walking around on slushy streets. LLBean, Land's End, etc are all having their winter clearance sales right now - look for short, warm, waterproof boots with good traction.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:21 AM

406 posts, read 1,496,265 times
I hate UGG-haters. Why hate on comfortable, sensible shoes? I'll take Uggs over pathetic-suburbanite-fashion-victim stilettos or heeled boots in the snow any day.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:25 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,524,003 times
Let the hater be your motivator... (Did you watch Housewives of Atlanta??)

I bought my daughter a pair of Uggs last year and within 2 months there was a huge hole in the toe!

For me, I like Aquitalia boots, they are fashionable, fleece lined and waterproof. I get them from the footnotesonline.com website for 50% off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston