Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 09:55 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,693,161 times

Advertisements

Ok, considering Boston is a college town (among other things), it sounds like trying its nightlife is a must. I'll arrive on Thursday and be there for 3 days. I go with 2 friends, we're all in out mid 20's. Our apartment will be in Back Bay. What do you recommend us to do? We are looking forward to bar/pubs and then dance clubs.

Any hints?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 03:16 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
There are tons of bar/pubs to hit up. I like the bars around the Blackstone Block (near haymarket/ fanueil hall). Specifically over there check out the Purple Shamrock and Bell in Hand Tavern.

For dance clubs I generally like The Estate and Gypsy Bar. It would be worth checking out the bars along Boylston and the nightlife on Landsdowne St. Is fun too.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:23 PM

how much do dance clubs charge? can you wear casual?

ty

Old 02-17-2009, 08:22 AM

2,726 posts, read 6,115,039 times
Also The Roxy, Rumor, Underbar and Caprice Lounge in the theater district. Saint is in Copley Sq. Felt (Washington St) and Good Life (Kingston St) are downtown. Good Life has The Cool Kids this Sat.

Look for a $20 cover at the door for The Roxy, Rumor and Underbar w/tight dress codes at each. I think Estate and Gypsy are the same deal. Good Life is casual with covers ranging from free - $10.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:05 PM

thanks. How easy is to sneak into college parties?

Old 02-17-2009, 01:19 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,651,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
Ok, considering Boston is a college town (among other things), it sounds like trying its nightlife is a must. I'll arrive on Thursday and be there for 3 days. I go with 2 friends, we're all in out mid 20's. Our apartment will be in Back Bay. What do you recommend us to do? We are looking forward to bar/pubs and then dance clubs.

Any hints?

Thanks.
Don't bother hitting all of the irish-type bars, which there are many of. They are all fairly similar during the night with the same type of cover bands and ridiculous cover charges. Most are owned by the same management group. I don't really do the club scene so I can't really help you on that front.

If your fine with the college scene you'll be fine, otherwise the bars can get boring after awhile dealing with the same group of people.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:23 PM

$20 dollar covers are the norm at the nicer venues. The Estate and Gypsy have "strict" dress codes, but they are flexible in how they enforce it. Most clubs use the dress code as a way to weed out the people they don't want.

I would not wear "casual" to a nicer club and hope to get in. In many cities, (LA, Miami, etc) designer casual clothes will be passable (i.e. Gucci T-Shirt, Armani Shoes, etc) but in Boston it depends on how you wear it and who your with. Quite frankly, know yourself. If you don't think you are a very attractive person (as shallow as this sounds) dress better; bouncers will use your "casual" outfit to say you can't get in if they don't think you fit the standard (men obviously have a tougher time than women getting into these places). Wear dress shoes, designer jeans (nothing baggy, even go with dress pants) and a nice dress top with maybe a nice jacket or some sort of vest. Do NOT expect to wear hats at the nicer venues (save it for the pubs and bars). the Timberlands tend to be a turn off for bouncers and just going with plain old jeans and an untucked dress shirt will really be risking getting turned down.

Casual is fine for the pubs. It's fine for most general bars. It's also fine for some of the more casual clubs (I've had no problems with hats and sneakers at places like Tequila Rain or the Foggy Goggle). If you want to experience a real nice night in Boston (you'll likely go broke if you go to the nicer clubs every night), one night at an upscale place will do.

If you like live music, there's a good scene in Boston. Two really cool places are TT The Bear's Place and the Middle East (both in Cambridge, accessible by the T). I'd also check out Bleacher Bar on Lansdowne Street. It's a bar that's under the center field bleachers at Fenway and has windows out onto the field. There are a few other cool bars in that area worth enjoying as well.

I've got some links for you:
The Estate. Note: it's a $20 cover, but sometimes they have celebrity guests and you buy tickets in advance... check their calendar. For example, on March 16, they're having a 2 year anniversary and the ***** Cat Dolls are hosting... tickets are $20 in advance. :Welcome to The Estate
Gypsy Bar: Gypsy Bar Boston (DJ AM is in town this Friday)
TT The Bear's Place: Welcome to T.T. the Bear's Place!
Middle East: THE MIDDLE EAST RESTAURANT & NIGHTCLUB
Bleacher Bar: Welcome to Bleach Bar

google search any of the others places mentioned (Cliff Clavin makes some great suggestions) and you'll get info. have fun

Old 02-17-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
thanks. How easy is to sneak into college parties?
Depends on the party. If it's a small gathering, good luck, you won't get in. If it's a bigger party, it may be a bit easier. I would try to pick up some girls to bring with you... always easier to get in with ladies. As long as you're not too pushy, you may have luck. College parties are not like bars as each one is a bit different. Sometimes if you hit the bar early (walk through a campus and pick a local college bar... there are too many to name), you can meet some people who may invite you. I've gotten to many parties this way. I'd suggest walking along Huntington Ave. near Northeastern or Commonwealth Ave. near BU to pick a campus bar. There are a bunch of college kids living near Fenway Park as well.

Be friendly and not pushy and there's a good chance you just might meet someone who will invite you out. No promises it'll work though.

It's worth noting that since there are so many college kids from all over in Boston that they don't care where you're from. Don't try to use you're home as a novelty (unless you have some sort of accent, girls love that) or means of impressing people.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Depends on the party. If it's a small gathering, good luck, you won't get in. If it's a bigger party, it may be a bit easier. I would try to pick up some girls to bring with you... always easier to get in with ladies. As long as you're not too pushy, you may have luck. College parties are not like bars as each one is a bit different. Sometimes if you hit the bar early (walk through a campus and pick a local college bar... there are too many to name), you can meet some people who may invite you. I've gotten to many parties this way. I'd suggest walking along Huntington Ave. near Northeastern or Commonwealth Ave. near BU to pick a campus bar. There are a bunch of college kids living near Fenway Park as well.

Be friendly and not pushy and there's a good chance you just might meet someone who will invite you out. No promises it'll work though.

It's worth noting that since there are so many college kids from all over in Boston that they don't care where you're from. Don't try to use you're home as a novelty (unless you have some sort of accent, girls love that) or means of impressing people.

Oh, much appreciated. Yeah, I don't mean being pushy, I'd hate if there was a party thrown in my campus and some strange tried hard to get in. Also, I would like to go to a big party, it would be very cheeky if we just tried to sneak into some private one.

Regarding the accent, well, my friends are from Europe so it might work

Old 02-17-2009, 03:24 PM

oh, another question: which are the best days for nightlife in Boston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston