Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 03:14 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times

Advertisements

I am a 28 year old single gay male with a master's in accounting and 5 years of experience under my belt. So, if I landed a position, it would probably pay in the $70K range.

Now, I have lived in the Hartford, CT area almost my whole life, except for 2 years in NYC, which I loved, for the most part. I am more of an introverted person, but still enjoy hanging out with friends. I don't consider myself to be sophisticated, really. I don't dress in high fashion or go to exclusive clubs, etc. Not into sports at all. Politically, I am independent, but lean liberal. 100% italian here. And no, I don't have the Boston accent, lol, since I'm from CT.

I would want a 2-br apartment in a safe area, maybe up to 1,000 sq ft, for no more than $1,600. Is that possible? I own a car (fully paid off), too, and want a parking space. I wouldn't want to commute more than 25 minutes from work, either.

I just want to live in a more exciting place again. I'm pretty darn bored of Hartford, but won't go back to NYC because I've already experienced it anyway. And I don't want to be too far from family. In NYC, I always kind of felt poor, since everything is so expensive. I would hope Boston is not the same way.

Personally, I thought NYC people were nice in general and never had any real problems making friends there. People say NYC is pretentious, but I didn't really see that unless I went to certain bars/clubs.

Do you think Boston would work for me?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 08:48 PM

93 posts, read 265,217 times
Unfortunately in this day and age in Boston, finding a 2 bedroom with parking under $1600 would probably be a stretch. You could probably find a decent 1 br in that range if you are willing to live a little outside the downtown core.

Otherwise it sounds like you might like it around here!

Old 08-12-2012, 02:35 AM

2,948 posts, read 5,196,643 times
Rental prices start at around your price for a 1 BR -- not going to get a 2 BR. You'll likely need to compromise down to a 1 BR, and it won't be a trendy or glamorous unit at that. No, we're not nearly as high as Manhattan prices for rentals, but still not cheap.

You may be able to get*a*modern 1 BR just outside the city in Medford with a distant skyline view next to the subway at the upscale Station Landing complex. Lots of young professionals there. But you'd give up a walkable neighborhood, though a nice park is across the street.

Quincy has some nice rentals now for young professionals, and it's convenient to Boston, but again, you'd only get a 1 BR at that price. You may be able to get a 2 BR in Quincy for your price in an okay building.

You said you want something more exciting, but does this mean you have to be in the city, or just within a 15-20 minute drive or subway ride?

Have you already been to parts of Boston? Did any area give you a good vibe?

Old 08-12-2012, 06:09 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,381,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am a 28 year old single gay male with a master's in accounting and 5 years of experience under my belt. So, if I landed a position, it would probably pay in the $70K range.

Now, I have lived in the Hartford, CT area almost my whole life, except for 2 years in NYC, which I loved, for the most part. I am more of an introverted person, but still enjoy hanging out with friends. I don't consider myself to be sophisticated, really. I don't dress in high fashion or go to exclusive clubs, etc. Not into sports at all. Politically, I am independent, but lean liberal. 100% italian here. And no, I don't have the Boston accent, lol, since I'm from CT.

I would want a 2-br apartment in a safe area, maybe up to 1,000 sq ft, for no more than $1,600. Is that possible? I own a car (fully paid off), too, and want a parking space. I wouldn't want to commute more than 25 minutes from work, either.

I just want to live in a more exciting place again. I'm pretty darn bored of Hartford, but won't go back to NYC because I've already experienced it anyway. And I don't want to be too far from family. In NYC, I always kind of felt poor, since everything is so expensive. I would hope Boston is not the same way.

Personally, I thought NYC people were nice in general and never had any real problems making friends there. People say NYC is pretentious, but I didn't really see that unless I went to certain bars/clubs.

Thanks
I saw the thread title and had to respond. Flying in and out of Boston Logan, I admit that that metro area as an allure about it. I even liked the salt boxes, Cape Cods, or whatever they're called that you can see on hills near waterways as you're taxiing around the airport runways.

At least you're geographically close by. That's a big plus. People make cross-country treks to be a part of Seattle and Boston - for some it works, for others it doesn't. I can only speak for the former, where the Southern California persona doesn't go over too well.

Ditto for the 100% Italian part. LOL. At least, in Boston, you'll have plenty of those. I think I'd fit in better in North Jersey. I think they are more direct. For some weird reason, every Bostonian I've ever met has a major hang up talking about prices of things they bought. In California, everyone talks about how much their house, their car and their hotel room on vacation cost. Ditto for a lot of the Northeasterners I knew when I worked in Atlanta, except for those from Boston. You could see their faces turn red.

Good luck. Since you've inquired about the rent part of the equation, have you also looked into the "people dynamics" part of the equation? I'm sure that it will be different from Connecticut, where I find the people to have more of a NY attitude, and that's a good thing in my mind.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:36 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,255,223 times
Something to keep in mind, a 25 minute commute might be unrealistic combined with your other housing desires. $1,600 in a safe area probably means one of the inner suburbs (Brookline, Newton, Watertown, Belmont, Medford). You are a 25-35 minute train or bus ride to downtown from pretty much all of those burbs, but office complexes are all over those suburbs in addition to downtown. As a previous poster said, Medford could fit a lot of those requirements, but the commute is blown to pieces if your job ends up in Waltham or Needham.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:45 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,804,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

Thanks

Depending on where you want to live in the city, you can easily find a nice 2 bedroom apartment for $1600/month. Parking is going to be the issue. If you do not which to insure your care and get a resident sticker, you will have to rent a spot, which can run anywhere from $50 - $300 a month. Again, that depends on where in the city you're looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston