Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 12:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,433 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm looking to move to Boston this summer. I'm aware of the rent costs, but are there any areas that are reasonably priced? I'm shooting for $1,000 or less per month - I don't think this would be too optimistic, but I'm not sure. I also would like to know the good areas in and around Boston that are relatively nice to live in (and are safe).

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 09:12 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,527,415 times
What about Chelsea and East Boston? I've been there for theatre performances at it seems cute and pretty bustling and safe. It's mainly a Latino community. It's not rich, and it's a little run down, very sweet looking.

I also hear that Everett is a good choice.

I'm sure there are plenty of people here who know more than I do about these neighborhoods, but they seem to be cheaper than most.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:35 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
We need more info from you: If you only want to live alone as opposed to a share (the former will greatly limit your options on your budget), if you have a car, if you will be relying solely on public transportation, what kind of neighborhood you would prefer (bustling with lots of young adults and bars? Quiet and leafy?), where you will be working, etc.

No one wants to live somewhere crappy and unsafe, generally.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:34 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,527,415 times
Crappy is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:44 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times
This beholder thinks Everett is kind of crappy.

Depends on how much activity you want and how close to the heart of Boston. You mentioned "in and around Boston." Just outside Boston, if you're OK with a somewhat quieter neighborhood and a bus ride to the T (making it about 40 mins to downtown Boston), Watertown and Belmont have 1-BR rentals at about $1000. East Arlington, which is generally walkable to the end of the Red Line and thus an easier commute, may also be a good starting point. Also places south of town in Quincy along the Red Line.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,433 times
Default Boston

It would be just my fiancee and I moving together into an apartment. I would say that the apartment should be no more than 20 minutes outside of the heart of Boston. We do have a car to park, also. We would like a somewhat quiet neighborhood that is close to the bars, downtown amenities, and bustling areas alike.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:01 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsjustgo View Post
It would be just my fiancee and I moving together into an apartment. I would say that the apartment should be no more than 20 minutes outside of the heart of Boston. We do have a car to park, also. We would like a somewhat quiet neighborhood that is close to the bars, downtown amenities, and bustling areas alike.
No more than 20 mins to downtown Boston (for commute as opposed to driving in on a Sunday morning), nice, safe, near nightlife, and reasonably easy parking (off-street or on) for under $1000 is a tall order.

Maybe Quincy, Roslindale/West Roxbury, parts of Somerville.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:28 PM

613 posts, read 2,308,010 times
I'll second Quincy. I used to live there and had a good experience. Quincy is just south of Boston and has several red line T stops running through it. However, you really should figure out where work, school, etc. will be first. A bad commute can make life miserable, especially if you're not expecting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston