Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 08:06 PM

32 posts, read 267,666 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are thinking about a move to Satellite Beach Florida. We have 2 children ages 9 and 11. Any thoughts on the area would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!

Old 11-07-2006, 08:11 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,658,909 times
Nice area. My Brother and his family live in nearby Merrit Island and I like the area. I wonder if the real estate market is as dead there as it is here on the Southwest Coast.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:13 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,168,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kswen View Post
Hi! We are thinking about a move to Satellite Beach Florida. We have 2 children ages 9 and 11. Any thoughts on the area would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!
Read the following thread:Satellite Beach vs Indiatlantic vs MelBeach S
This was posted a early this week...

Old 11-08-2006, 04:34 AM

56 posts, read 356,506 times
Sat. Beach is a very nice place to live. We live in south Melbourne Beach. When we moved to this area we looked at Sat. Beach, Indialantic, and Melbourne Beach. The 3 towns (maybe I should say 4 to include Indian Harbor Beach, which a lot of us think of as part of either Ind. or Sat. Beach) are similar in many ways, but personally we like Melb. Beach best. The public schools your kids would attend would be Ocean Breeze, Indialantic, or Gemini (elementary), DeLaura or Hoover (middle school) and Satellite or Melbourne High. I am not as familiar with farthest north Sat. Beach area, there may be another school involved on the north end... Our kids have gone to Gemini/Hoover/Melbourne and we have been very happy with their education. (I think wherever you are you do have to stay involved, especially making sure your kids are being challenged and are in the classes/levels where they belong) I have friends whose kids have been in the other schools I listed and they have also had very good experiences. If you want to look at the school boundary maps there is a link on this page http://www.brevard.k12.fl.us/Schools/ (broken link)
I have to go but just wanted to give a thumbs up for the area! PM me if you have any questions and I will try to answer from our own experience in Melb. Beach (~11 yrs). Good luck!

Old 11-11-2006, 06:26 AM

4 posts, read 25,436 times
Wink Satellite Beach

Satellite Bch is a great place to live and raise children. it is quiet, and safe. It has a small town atmosphere, and community center for the children, with lots of activities for them to get involved in. The crime rate is very low, and the Law Enforment make sure we are protected, as they are always watching, and monitoring the streets. If you chose to live in the area, near the Publix shopping center, and Jackson Ave. you will be close to all the schools. The Elementary, Middle, and High School are all right there. I have lived here since 1989, and have just remodeled my home. It is not a large home, but it has a large yard. I plan to move into a townhome, but stay here in Satellite. I have a large yard, and it is just too difficult for me to care for any more. Maybe when yu are aready to move, I will be also! Hope this helps.

Old 11-11-2006, 06:29 AM

4 posts, read 25,436 times
Wink Satellite Beach

Satellite Bch is a great place to live and raise children. it is quiet, and safe. It has a small town atmosphere, and community center for the children, with lots of activities for them to get involved in. The crime rate is very low, and the Law Enforcement make sure we are protected, as they are always watching, and monitoring the streets. If you chose to live in the area, near the Publix shopping center, and Jackson Ave. you will be close to all the schools. The Elementary, Middle, and High School are all right there. I have lived here since 1989, and have just remodeled my home. It is not a large home, but it has a large yard. I plan to move into a townhome, but stay here in Satellite. I have a large yard, and it is just too difficult for me to care for any more. Maybe when yu are aready to move, I will be also! Hope this helps.

Old 11-11-2006, 07:37 AM

17 posts, read 67,912 times
Smile Satellite Beach

I have been reading your post on Satellite Beach, and am happy to hear only good things about this small town. I along with another relative have inherited a house last year and I have made quite a few visits there over the last year and I really am please with the area. My husband & I have decided to make the move and make this our home (from NJ) Yes I know another new Jerseyean YIKES!!!!!!! My hubby is down there this month taking care of somethings and just in one week he has meet more peeps working in Publix's from NJ than peeps born & rise in Flordia? I am very concern about home owners insurance & taxes!!!!!!! I just received my new tax bill WOW it is around 3000.00 I am really scared about my renewal of home insurance. I read all the posts on this site about how people are truely finding it hard to pay these bills and I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!!! I am trying to reseach as much as I can so I will know what to except. Keep posting I enjoy reading all the information everyone has to give. Marilyn

Old 11-11-2006, 02:03 PM

32 posts, read 267,666 times
Default Thanks for all of your advice...any other advice appreciated!

To everyone who has posted, thank you very much!!! Before considering this move, we had lived in South Florida for 5 years, watched our house triple in value, and luckily moved to Colorado last August, at the "top" of the market. We never thought we would mov back, but we really miss it!!! A friend of mine suggested Central Florida, as it is less crowded and more affordable than South Florida. We are considering homes within a mile from the beach. There are so many for sale. We are hoping to get a great deal! Have prices really fallen 30% since last september?Thanks!

Old 12-06-2006, 01:18 AM

8 posts, read 36,391 times
Unhappy Satellite Beach Nice?

Grew up there and loved it, when it was still nice. I am saddened every time I drive through there now (once or twice a year) because AIA looks like a neglected awful area. Homes are aging and many are not well-maintained. Abandoned or boarded up businesses, etc. What a shame to see it like this! Perhaps because I now live in an upscale area my memories of what it was like before (in the 1980's) are not quite clear. I might be remembering SB through rose-colored glasses. I remember new neighborhoods, a thriving bowling alley, Wag's restaurant, Sizzler, Patsy's Shell Shop, Putt-Putt, Dairy Queen. I realize that those are not ritzy places, but it seems like most have "fizzled out". I see many dilapidated buildings near the beach now, as well as condos in much need of some attention and I don't understand why. Atlantic Plaza used to be a cute small-twon place for teens to go. I'd love to know what's happened, and why it seems to be deteriorating.Am I the only one whose noticed these changes,or am I just plain wrong?

Old 12-06-2006, 06:49 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,168,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSICTEACHER View Post
Grew up there and loved it, when it was still nice. I am saddened every time I drive through there now (once or twice a year) because AIA looks like a neglected awful area. Homes are aging and many are not well-maintained. Abandoned or boarded up businesses, etc. What a shame to see it like this! Perhaps because I now live in an upscale area my memories of what it was like before (in the 1980's) are not quite clear. I might be remembering SB through rose-colored glasses. I remember new neighborhoods, a thriving bowling alley, Wag's restaurant, Sizzler, Patsy's Shell Shop, Putt-Putt, Dairy Queen. I realize that those are not ritzy places, but it seems like most have "fizzled out". I see many dilapidated buildings near the beach now, as well as condos in much need of some attention and I don't understand why. Atlantic Plaza used to be a cute small-twon place for teens to go. I'd love to know what's happened, and why it seems to be deteriorating.Am I the only one whose noticed these changes,or am I just plain wrong?
MUSICTEACHER,

I was assigned to Patrick AFB and the Cape from 1988 to 1992 and this was the best or choice place for us USAF members. Many of the old timers moved out of the area due to the increase cost on taxes and the increase on cost of living. Due to the high demand by tourist, owners wanted to make more money and neglected preventive maintenance.

Is still is my first choice to relocate after my second retirement that is due NLT 2013. I made my investments (and do keep-up with maintenance) and I hope to enjoy it in a few years....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County