Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2023, 03:07 PM

5,687 posts, read 4,088,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
How hard is it to get through to some people who still believe the news and the politicians.

There have already been 500 refugees sent to Erie County and more will come whether they are sent here or make their own way here to join their families.

I'm so sick of people putting blinders on with what's happening to a once vibrant and wonderful place to live. For once just open your eyes and face the facts - admitting to the problems does not mean you don't love the area or that it can't come back - but to keep pretending things are the same will be your downfall.

People have no idea what is being hidden from them whether it be the crimes occurring in your area or what your gov't is doing. I almost wish I didn't know those on the force or in gov't positions.
In reality, Buffalo has had a department dedicated to importing migrants. That is a plan to bolster the population. In fact, as some are touting Buffalo's increase in population, but the truth is between 2010-2020, there have been 18,000 refugees settled in Buffalo. Basically the entire gain. The only problem, is these people come from an economy where they earn about $200 per year. How do they fit in an economy where you need at least $60,000 per year? So, I guess taxpayers are making up the difference. But it sure looks good in the slide shows that people are flocking to Buffalo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2023, 09:10 AM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
In reality, Buffalo has had a department dedicated to importing migrants. That is a plan to bolster the population. In fact, as some are touting Buffalo's increase in population, but the truth is between 2010-2020, there have been 18,000 refugees settled in Buffalo. Basically the entire gain. The only problem, is these people come from an economy where they earn about $200 per year. How do they fit in an economy where you need at least $60,000 per year? So, I guess taxpayers are making up the difference. But it sure looks good in the slide shows that people are flocking to Buffalo.
Refugee resettlement occurs across the country. Hence, places like St. Louis, St. Petersburg and Utica that have a history of getting Bosnians; the Twin Cities gets a lot of SE Asian refugees; Syracuse’s North Side is known for its refugee population. So, it isn’t just Buffalo and the Refugee Resettlement program is a Federal program. They resettle people strategically due to a number of factors like services, family/previous resettlement, etc. Ironically, states like TX and FL have benefited greatly from the immigrants/refugees that go to those states.

Also, I believe the area would still show growth without refugees. It would be smaller, but still some growth.

What is needed to live will vary, as many live fine on less than $60k, given that half of the households in the county/country make less than that and the poverty rate is in the 10-14% range for both.

Some start businesses. Some take time to get situated. Some work in manufacturing or service jobs. For instance, I remember going to an interview decades ago and this facility had workers coming in at the time. No joke, the vast majority of the workers at this regarded furniture plant were SE Asian(largely Vietnamese). So, some companies use their labor, likely minimize costs and this isn’t anything new. I think it just that this is the topic of the time in the media, as it if it was a matter of an election topic now, people aren’t aware that this has been ongoing. These asylum seekers themselves are just like earlier immigrant/refugee groups that are escaping serious situations in their homelands(think Potato Famine, war, persecution, etc.).

If I can find it, there is a thread about the topic in the forum from years ago and the impact in different cities in Upstate(it was an Innovative Trail special).

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-20-2023 at 09:55 AM..

Old 08-20-2023, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Refugee resettlement occurs across the country. Hence, places like St. Louis, St. Petersburg and Utica that have a history of getting Bosnians; the Twin Cities gets a lot of SE Asian refugees; Syracuse’s North Side is known for its refugee population. So, it isn’t just Buffalo and the Refugee Resettlement program is a Federal program. They resettle people strategically due to a number of factors like services, family/previous resettlement, etc. Ironically, states like TX and FL have benefited greatly from the immigrants/refugees that go to those states.

Also, I believe the area would still show growth without refugees. It would be smaller, but still some growth.

What is needed to live will vary, as many live fine on less than $60k, given that half of the households in the county/country make less than that and the poverty rate is in the 10-14% range for both.

Some start businesses. Some take time to get situated. Some work in manufacturing or service jobs. For instance, I remember going to an interview decades ago and this facility had workers coming in at the time. No joke, the vast majority of the workers at this regarded furniture plant were SE Asian(largely Vietnamese). So, some companies use their labor, likely minimize costs and this isn’t anything new. I think it just that this is the topic of the time in the media, as it if it was a matter of an election topic now, people aren’t aware that this has been ongoing. These asylum seekers themselves are just like earlier immigrant/refugee groups that are escaping serious situations in their homelands(think Potato Famine, war, persecution, etc.).

If I can find it, there is a thread about the topic in the forum from years ago and the impact in different cities in Upstate(it was an Innovative Trail special).
Here is the 2013 special I’m referring to: https://www.innovationtrail.org/refu...anging-economy

The Buffalo article in the series: https://www.innovationtrail.org/jobs...ity-of-buffalo

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-20-2023 at 10:18 AM..

Old 08-20-2023, 12:59 PM

5,687 posts, read 4,088,934 times
Quote:
Here is the 2013 special I’m referring to: https://www.innovationtrail.org/refu...anging-economy

The Buffalo article in the series: https://www.innovationtrail.org/jobs...ity-of-buffalo
It's amazing how people who come here from another country, and blow right by so many that have been born and raised here, without having to learn a new language, and at least 16 years of "free" schooling. Actually, it's not amazing. It makes perfect sense.

Old 08-20-2023, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
It's amazing how people who come here from another country, and blow right by so many that have been born and raised here, without having to learn a new language, and at least 16 years of "free" schooling. Actually, it's not amazing. It makes perfect sense.
Well, when you have a nation state behind you, come by choice or to get away from something detrimental and are more selective in terms of entry(even with this situation, there is still a process), some will do well. Some may struggle like people in all groups.

Old 08-20-2023, 07:31 PM

6,409 posts, read 4,905,721 times
How about this story:

https://nypost.com/2023/08/20/suny-b...as-prejudiced/

The agreement was to house the migrants from May until August when school was out of session. When Jerico sought to extend it to February the school declined.

"“We live in a community where there’s prejudice,” said Jericho Road CEO Dr. Myron Glick. “And this decision was made, really, in my opinion, as — what’s the right word? In reaction to that prejudice.

“I felt compelled to speak about this action by Buffalo State because it was discriminatory against these asylum seekers who are human beings just like you and me,” Glick added. “We do worse by the families we are serving if we don’t speak up for them.”"

Last edited by Thundarr457; 08-20-2023 at 07:42 PM..

Old 08-20-2023, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
So, like the county exec, the campus is removing migrants to ensure safety based off of those two incidents. Isn’t what a few of you want them to do? Which one is it?

Old 08-20-2023, 07:44 PM

6,409 posts, read 4,905,721 times
Quote:
So, like the county exec, the campus is removing migrants to ensure safety based off of those two incidents. Isn’t what a few of you want them to do? Which one is it?
They are not removing them, they are not extending the agreement which expired in August.

Old 08-20-2023, 09:09 PM

118 posts, read 48,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Sorry ck but this is not a Federal issue - DT wanted a wall and to make sure people entered correctly - Dems like Hochul, Adams ect didn't want this.

Now a case of TB - what else are they coming in with - obviously the health screening in NYC wasn't done. This is in your backyard chk - stay safe.

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/he...d-82698678b995
Oh the wall…yes we know who wanted a wall and campaigned heavily with a bold face lie to the American people that Mexico would pay for it. Maybe his base didn’t care that he lied or perhaps some were actually so dumb enough as to believe such nonsense, but only a fool would expect to receive widespread support across aisles for making such an outlandish promise.

Next time anyone seriously campaigns for a wall, please be forthcoming as to how one with a $25B price tag (or hopefully one with a more fiscally feasible cost) to it would be funded, provide clear expectations for what it will do and what it won’t, and support it by a real cost benefit/ ROI analysis. Any proposal needs to include how much of an individual taxpayer’s burden is required, and if and by how much said individual’s taxes would need to be increased to cover. Does it make sense to even talk about one otherwise?

Old 08-21-2023, 04:26 AM

11,774 posts, read 5,787,833 times
Take it the political board bestself......

chk - memory of history is clouded - yes we had the Mafia here - but we also had a police dept that could actually do something about whatever crimes were happening. Now police have no power - their hands are tied to issuing appearance tickets - that's it.

When Walgreens had the smash and grab - there were at least 6 cops - back in the day - everyone in the store would have been detained and statements taken. One cop talked to the clerks and they left because they know that even if they catch the thief - he won't be prosecuted with the new "rules". He won't even get a slap on the wrist.

In Alabama where I live now - no theft devices on carts. I was so use to asking in NY if I can take the cart to my car to unload and then bring it back - but down here they actually still prosecute anyone who steals.

My husband worked with refugees at Vanocour = the good workers were the Asians - the others came and went because they didn't want to work. We try to give them jobs to make a better life for themselves but most don't want to and unfortunately few of these new refugees are Asians. Asians and those from countries like India, Pakistan ect - have a whole different cultural work ethic. Most of those we see coming in today from outside those countries don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area