Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2023, 04:47 AM

6,416 posts, read 3,131,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Sorry but even though I'm a registered Dem - I think the Republicans make more sense than the Dems these days. Maybe it's because I'm an old Kennedy Democrat but those refugees don't belong in Buff State either - they belong in their own countries and can wait to enter legally.

My cousin's daughter lives in Cheektowaga and she said they found many in her neighborhood drunk and sleeping on the residents lawn. You people have to wake up or one day it may be one of yours.
Bingo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Can you blame them??

Time to face it, people, the liberal Democrats sold us out.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2023, 06:26 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Take it the political board bestself......

chk - memory of history is clouded - yes we had the Mafia here - but we also had a police dept that could actually do something about whatever crimes were happening. Now police have no power - their hands are tied to issuing appearance tickets - that's it.

When Walgreens had the smash and grab - there were at least 6 cops - back in the day - everyone in the store would have been detained and statements taken. One cop talked to the clerks and they left because they know that even if they catch the thief - he won't be prosecuted with the new "rules". He won't even get a slap on the wrist.

In Alabama where I live now - no theft devices on carts. I was so use to asking in NY if I can take the cart to my car to unload and then bring it back - but down here they actually still prosecute anyone who steals.

My husband worked with refugees at Vanocour = the good workers were the Asians - the others came and went because they didn't want to work. We try to give them jobs to make a better life for themselves but most don't want to and unfortunately few of these new refugees are Asians. Asians and those from countries like India, Pakistan ect - have a whole different cultural work ethic. Most of those we see coming in today from outside those countries don't.
You basically proved my point, as you gave an example of the criminal element that came with select immigrant groups and which still exists. Let alone individuals like any other group of people.

People are still getting arrested for crimes up here and many departments need to get their numbers up. Ironically, Alabama’s violent crime is higher than NY State’s rate.

There are refugees in the Syracuse area as well and there are those from various backgrounds that work. So, experiences will vary.

In terms of the last post, both major parties have, as another poster in a related thread in the NYC forum illustrates, TX and FL are two of the biggest gainers of said immigrants and are a couple of states that bussed said immigrants to major cities in the Northeast and Midwest. So, here we are.

Old 08-21-2023, 12:35 PM

118 posts, read 48,508 times
Quote:
Take it the political board bestself......

chk - memory of history is clouded - yes we had the Mafia here - but we also had a police dept that could actually do something about whatever crimes were happening. Now police have no power - their hands are tied to issuing appearance tickets - that's it.

When Walgreens had the smash and grab - there were at least 6 cops - back in the day - everyone in the store would have been detained and statements taken. One cop talked to the clerks and they left because they know that even if they catch the thief - he won't be prosecuted with the new "rules". He won't even get a slap on the wrist.

In Alabama where I live now - no theft devices on carts. I was so use to asking in NY if I can take the cart to my car to unload and then bring it back - but down here they actually still prosecute anyone who steals.

My husband worked with refugees at Vanocour = the good workers were the Asians - the others came and went because they didn't want to work. We try to give them jobs to make a better life for themselves but most don't want to and unfortunately few of these new refugees are Asians. Asians and those from countries like India, Pakistan ect - have a whole different cultural work ethic. Most of those we see coming in today from outside those countries don't.
You brought the wall to this board not me, and just SMH over the rest of this hyperbole.

Old 08-21-2023, 01:00 PM

6,406 posts, read 4,899,454 times
Florida, the last time I checked, was not on the Mexican border. It looks like Florida flew 85 migrants to Marthas Vineyard and California and NYC sent 28 families to Florida.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/0...9;s%20Vineyard.

Old 08-21-2023, 04:25 PM

11,769 posts, read 5,785,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybestself View Post
You brought the wall to this board not me, and just SMH over the rest of this hyperbole.
Thanks for letting me know - you're another one to block.

Old 08-21-2023, 04:30 PM

11,769 posts, read 5,785,673 times
chk - I'm sure you can contact the county exec and tell him - you welcome those they are kicking out of Buff State to your home - that's the problem with people - they are OK with it as long as they aren't inconvenienced and it's not affecting them. And right now - in Rochester - officials are offering help but won't spend tax payer money on them - how's that going to turn out?

Old 08-21-2023, 04:41 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
The thing is that people have been immigrating/migrating, etc. to the city/area for decades and from various places. Some from various groups had a criminal element, if we take a look back into history, including in the Buffalo area. So, this isn’t anything new and to make it seem that way would be to overlook history.

The key is to put things in place to manage it better and the county executive I believe is trying to keep from having migrants knowingly(key word) from being sent to the county. Some may still come, but many that have been sent place have also wanted to go back to NYC as well. So, being sent somewhere doesn’t necessarily mean they want to stay either.

They'll all run like rats once they get a taste of an upstate winter!!

Old 08-21-2023, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks for letting me know - you're another one to block.
And you’re another to pray for.

Last edited by Mybestself; 08-21-2023 at 05:36 PM..

Old 08-21-2023, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Florida, the last time I checked, was not on the Mexican border. It looks like Florida flew 85 migrants to Marthas Vineyard and California and NYC sent 28 families to Florida.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/0...9;s%20Vineyard.
Thundarr, the article states that many families didn’t want to come to NYC and of the few leaving, most were being flown to destinations of their choosing including other countries in a couple of instances. It also noted that many Venezuelans have ties to Florida, so perhaps a large % of the 28 families sent there were from Venezuela.

Old 08-21-2023, 06:08 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
chk - I'm sure you can contact the county exec and tell him - you welcome those they are kicking out of Buff State to your home - that's the problem with people - they are OK with it as long as they aren't inconvenienced and it's not affecting them. And right now - in Rochester - officials are offering help but won't spend tax payer money on them - how's that going to turn out?
I don’t live in the area, but the point I’ve made all along is that it is a Federal issue and many were sent up to NYC, among other cities. So, perhaps people should step back and consider the total picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area