Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 10:07 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,346,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
Really impressive pics. I've never really seen Buffalo's waterfront other than along route 5 along those empty industrial shells, and that's the impression most have. The new waterfront is incredible, could spur what Baltimore's waterfront did for it. I bet the sunsets are fantastic there.
Indeed - Buffalo is rated for one of the best sunset locations in the Nation. It is absolutely beautiful every summer night along the waterfront
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 06:59 PM

133 posts, read 466,420 times
I see many people upstate complain about tax money going downstate. You may want to do some research before you look foolish. About $11 billion goes upstate every year. NYC is a city filled with corporate headquarters, Wall St, the fashion industry, publishing, ect..... People here make more money and hence pay more taxes. In frastructure is more expensive per person in rural areas because fewer tax payers support it. The poverty rate in upstate cities is higher than NYC and it doesn't have the wealth to back it up. The problem with tax reveue is that NYS pays D.C. $40 billion a year more that it gets back. This creates a need for higher state taxes.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:54 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,212,389 times
jawny08, At this stage of productivity, I hear not many people squabbling about upstate vs. downstate right now. We more than know (at least I) of downstate's rewards being much higher, yet if to rain on a parade, let it not be Buffalo's. We've paid too much in taxes, we've waited much longer for this beauty on the water ways, inner harbor, outer harbor, waterfront..... a congressman's election (this year), there's a readiness to break free and enjoy prosperity as our change, finally.

Everything is at cost, this we know, yet shall we bite off the hand that feeds us? I'd prefer thanking the federal government and the work (no matter who it is) for this sight for sore eyes in down town Buffalo.

it's paying the fare and enjoying the ride. Would you rather we just wait for ships to dock on their own? Why not invite them?

Old 07-30-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
jawny08, At this stage of productivity, I hear not many people squabbling about upstate vs. downstate right now. We more than know (at least I) of downstate's rewards being much higher, yet if to rain on a parade, let it not be Buffalo's. We've paid too much in taxes, we've waited much longer for this beauty on the water ways, inner harbor, outer harbor, waterfront..... a congressman's election (this year), there's a readiness to break free and enjoy prosperity as our change, finally.

Everything is at cost, this we know, yet shall we bite off the hand that feeds us? I'd prefer thanking the federal government and the work (no matter who it is) for this sight for sore eyes in down town Buffalo.

it's paying the fare and enjoying the ride. Would you rather we just wait for ships to dock on their own? Why not invite them?
Great points! Now... Where's Jawny?

Old 07-31-2008, 11:47 PM

3 posts, read 12,247 times
Any new buildings downtown make me happy. I know there is a lot of great historical architecture there, but when buildings are just plain falling apart, something needs to be done. Either remodel or rebuild.

There are way too many preservationists around here that complain and shoot down potential development projects.

A few people are actually moving back downtown into old buildings converted into modern loft spaces. That's a good start, but so many more things need to be done to bring back downtown.

I went on an architectural tour of downtown buffalo on a Sunday morning once, and there was not a single person around except for my tour group. Car traffic was almost completely non-existent. That really saddened me quite a bit. It was kind of like one of those Discovery Channel specials that displays computer generated cities following a hypothetical mysterious disappearance of all human life.

I know downtown Buffalo is completely alive during Monday through Friday work hours. There are some good restaurants downtown only open for lunch on weekdays, as it would be pointless to remain open when the area is deserted. Many people work downtown, but no one actually lives there, it seems.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell7301 View Post
Any new buildings downtown make me happy. I know there is a lot of great historical architecture there, but when buildings are just plain falling apart, something needs to be done. Either remodel or rebuild.

There are way too many preservationists around here that complain and shoot down potential development projects.

A few people are actually moving back downtown into old buildings converted into modern loft spaces. That's a good start, but so many more things need to be done to bring back downtown.

I went on an architectural tour of downtown buffalo on a Sunday morning once, and there was not a single person around except for my tour group. Car traffic was almost completely non-existent. That really saddened me quite a bit. It was kind of like one of those Discovery Channel specials that displays computer generated cities following a hypothetical mysterious disappearance of all human life.

I know downtown Buffalo is completely alive during Monday through Friday work hours. There are some good restaurants downtown only open for lunch on weekdays, as it would be pointless to remain open when the area is deserted. Many people work downtown, but no one actually lives there, it seems.
Thousands of people have moved downtown from the suburbs in the past years. It's a shame that it is completely deserted on the weekends - except for Elmwood Village and Allentown, but there is no life at all on the weekends. On a lunch hour in Downtown Buffalo during the week, Thousands and thousands of workers, etc flock all over Buffalo, and the fountains in the plazas are running and there is much activity. If only we could harness that into the weekends as well.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:01 PM

259 posts, read 888,357 times
You've never been to Chippewa Street on the weekend?

Old 08-02-2008, 09:03 PM

15 posts, read 37,373 times
My husband went to UB. I just showed him those pictures and he got excited! We may be heading toward your direction! (and outta Charlotte!)

Old 08-02-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockwalliper View Post
You've never been to Chippewa Street on the weekend?
Oh I have, that and Elmwood/Allen are the only places alive downtown on the weekends. We need more activity in the Downtown Core

Nice pic by the way!

Old 08-02-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnitaCuppajo View Post
My husband went to UB. I just showed him those pictures and he got excited! We may be heading toward your direction! (and outta Charlotte!)
Great! I'll and my Buffalonian friends will be waiting for you - here in Beautiful Buffalo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area