Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2008, 10:17 AM

58 posts, read 198,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
New Hotel/Mixed use project on the downtown Buffalo waterfront next to Shanghai Red's Waterfront Restaurant (wonderful food and views)!!! - could it happen? here's the link: Buffalo Rising | Give the people what they want.

i just finished reading that article, and came here to saw you posted it!

just curious, as I'm not in Buffalo, what do you guys think of this? I love the RFP that is displayed in this photo here and think it would bring revenue, and much needed attention to the waterfront. not to mention, a cool looking design.

the other one is so bland and ugly it's unbelievable. there is nothing special about it at all, it looks like the quality inn near the airport.

thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 05:35 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,347,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nar69 View Post
i just finished reading that article, and came here to saw you posted it!

just curious, as I'm not in Buffalo, what do you guys think of this? I love the RFP that is displayed in this photo here and think it would bring revenue, and much needed attention to the waterfront. not to mention, a cool looking design.

the other one is so bland and ugly it's unbelievable. there is nothing special about it at all, it looks like the quality inn near the airport.

thoughts?

I really hope the little four story cookie cutter Hotel - inn will not be built. In fact, the parking lot there would be better than this . The design for the 10+ story glass mixed use boutique hotel and retail/commercial space building portrayed on the same parcel looks like it could be a HUGE win for Buffalo - truly amazing. The debate is still on, neither one has been approved. I truly hope the large, modern, beautiful glass building will get built there. To even bring up the 4 story suburban crap is unexplainable, no words describe what a terrible mistake that would be. That is not waterfront development, but slapstick cookie cutter crap that shouldn't be tolerated.

I love the new glass building that is under debate. It would truly be a beacon for new waterfront development as a symbol of modernism on our city's beloved waterfront. As the last parcel available in Waterfront Village downtown, this land better have the right design, and I think that this one would win that trophy for sure:

Old 12-05-2008, 11:41 PM

58 posts, read 198,754 times
i mean honestly, what is to come of it? a regular hotel, who is going to spend extra money on a "normal" hotel on the waterfront?

ridiculous....i really hope the people who matter in this decision get their heads cleared. i could state my case here, but i think most people around here get it......if only the people that matter did.

i still can't believe ANYBODY would think this is the future of the waterfront!!

Old 12-06-2008, 01:38 PM

414 posts, read 1,505,185 times
I hate the design. It looks like a big commercial A/C unit. The RFP sould reflect the elements of this citys history and future. Every Archetect these days pushes the geometric, industrial looking behemoths. (think the Law enforcement building behind the Flickinger Center) Our city planners need to think bigger. Maybe they should take a trip to Baltimore, Chicago, Providence and look at some of the elements that make their waterfront and downtown area a success

Old 12-06-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesuicide View Post
I hate the design. It looks like a big commercial A/C unit. The RFP sould reflect the elements of this citys history and future. Every Archetect these days pushes the geometric, industrial looking behemoths. (think the Law enforcement building behind the Flickinger Center) Our city planners need to think bigger. Maybe they should take a trip to Baltimore, Chicago, Providence and look at some of the elements that make their waterfront and downtown area a success
Are your saying you don't like the modernistic 10 story, mixed use, beautiful glass building that would change the face of Buffalo shown above ^ ????

Old 12-06-2008, 10:36 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,520,479 times
This construction is pennywise and poundfoolish. Buffalo's best chance to survive is to capitalize on its nice old buildings and agriculture.

Before taxes stopped me from buying 960 Busti ( really Niagara) I went on the roof and looked at the downtown skyline and it was the best - another equally good view was the river. Many cities have a river but the only thing Buffalo can offer that few other places can come close to matching is the old buildings.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
This construction is pennywise and poundfoolish. Buffalo's best chance to survive is to capitalize on its nice old buildings and agriculture.

Before taxes stopped me from buying 960 Busti ( really Niagara) I went on the roof and looked at the downtown skyline and it was the best - another equally good view was the river. Many cities have a river but the only thing Buffalo can offer that few other places can come close to matching is the old buildings.

But so many people look down upon Buffalo because it lacks new. I think a mix of old and new would be fantastic. Ever think of how new builds could reflect the historic architecture and thus, providing one beautiful, strong economic skyline impression. Believe it or not, but a nice modern skyline impacts whether some large businesses come here or not, and also affects tourists, and suburban/urbanists alike.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Are your saying you don't like the modernistic 10 story, mixed use, beautiful glass building that would change the face of Buffalo shown above ^ ????
Im not a fan. It is just a sketch so maybe I would like the real thing more but I still think it lacks creativity.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
But so many people look down upon Buffalo because it lacks new. I think a mix of old and new would be fantastic. Ever think of how new builds could reflect the historic architecture and thus, providing one beautiful, strong economic skyline impression. Believe it or not, but a nice modern skyline impacts whether some large businesses come here or not, and also affects tourists, and suburban/urbanists alike.
This I agree with. New is good, I just dont like that specific design. That being said, its not my money so build away

Old 12-07-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesuicide View Post
This I agree with. New is good, I just dont like that specific design. That being said, its not my money so build away
I'm sure once (and if ) it is built, as you said, it will probably look much nicer once all the details are complete and the building is up and open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area