Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 03:14 PM

506 posts, read 958,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
I agreed with Zara Ray on that one.

Besides UB as well as the Allentown district (mostly fueled by UB grads/students), there really wouldn't be much at all for the young and childless crowd.

One of the few things that WNY and LI have in common is that they DON'T cater to young people. Long Island has sky-high property taxes as well as sky-high rents (for the few rentals on LI). It's absolutely pointless to live on LI if you have no kids.
It's true. They both don't seem very suitable for the younger crowd of childless adults. When I graduate and leave long island, my next bet is that I am going to either move somewhere closer to NYC (probably in Westchester county or even in NJ and commute in) for grad school in NYC or end up moving to DC for grad school. I don't see myself living in Suffolk county for longer than a 2 years post undergrad. I need a place that is diverse, lively, and stimulated by a healthy economy for my future career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 03:20 PM

417 posts, read 867,682 times
I wouldn't recommend doing grad school in this economy unless you already have at least two years experience in your field, especially if you are talking about an MBA...unless a masters degree is absolutely necessary to even enter the field.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackmaxx View Post
I wouldn't recommend doing grad school in this economy unless you already have at least two years experience in your field, especially if you are talking about an MBA...unless a masters degree is absolutely necessary to even enter the field.
For my field I have no choice to but to get a MA in. It's required for the type of career I am planning on going into. By the time I graduate, I will already have 2 years of solid entry level work experience within my department major as a student researcher (paid position). I already have two internships under my belt as well another one I am planning on doing next school year for my senior year. My goal is to get as much experience, and connections I can before I graduate and using all of my resources while I still can in school. I'm not planning on taking any chances or wrong turns.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:43 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
I agreed with Zara Ray on that one.

Besides UB as well as the Allentown district (mostly fueled by UB grads/students), there really wouldn't be much at all for the young and childless crowd in Buffalo.

One of the few things that WNY and LI have in common is that they DON'T cater to young adults. LI has sky-high property taxes for homeowners (coupled with sky-high home prices) as well as sky-high rents (for the few rentals on LI). It's absolutely stupid&pointless to live on LI if you have no kids and aren't solidly middle class/rich.
What about Elmwood Village and North Buffalo/Hertel Avenue?

Old 01-19-2014, 04:35 PM

530 posts, read 1,359,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about Elmwood Village and North Buffalo/Hertel Avenue?
I think I mixed up Allentown w/Elmwood Village.

I'm not familiar with that last intersection you gave though

Old 01-19-2014, 04:37 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
I think I mixed up Allentown w/Elmwood Village.

I'm not familiar with that last intersection you gave though
Allentown and Elmwood Village kind of run and blend together. Hertel Avenue is a main street in North Buffalo with some restaurants, shops, movie theater, etc as well.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:55 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
I can't stand Buffalo. The environment, the government, the declining infrastructure, the numerous failing school districts, the poverty that can be seen on a simple drive down main street and a lot of the neighborhoods, etc. My mom's family is from Buffalo which is why I am here right now on winter break. I am counting down the days to go back to my school campus on LI and can't stand WNY at all. The weather is too extreme with long bitter winters, the summers are too hot and humid with little comfort, it's just not a good place for young people to flourish besides U of B here (which is the only thing holding up Buffalo's economy right now and keeping the young people around). I remember having a brief thought of going to school here but I'm glad I picked SBU instead of UB. It is a overall better SUNY school and in a more desirable location with reasonable distance to NYC.

Honestly, there is no secret that this is a failing city. I have never seen so many abandoned businesses and houses like I do here. so many run down areas and poverty. There is little to no pull factor that Buffalo has in comparison to other cities in NY and as the second biggest city, it loses immensely to NYC in all aspects. All of what I have experienced and seen here paired with staying with toxic and negative family members leaves me with a bitter taste in my mouth regarding this city.

It's not to say that I didn't give this city a shot. When I came here the first time when I was 17 for the summer of 07' to visit family I tried to make due and have the best of the situation staying here. I tried to look on the bright side of things, etc. But after all those years and being older, I really can't excuse what I see anymore and except reality of Buffalo. It's one of the US's poorest cities and it really shows. Not even a facade can his its deterioration of this place. And although there are nice areas with newly renovated infrastructure in nice neighborhoods, the majority of the city is still declining and in shambles in comparison. With that said, I think the best part of Buffalo is Niagara Falls which is a truly breathtaking peace of natural scenery, but I'm sure Niagara Fall's is much better on the Canadian side as opposed to here in NY.
You obviously haven't spent much time in the city of your dreams, NYC, if you think "the summers are too hot and humid with little comfort" in Buffalo but think NYC will be better. As for poverty, well, let's just say that not all of NYC is the Manhattan of novels and movies.

That you have never been to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls says that you really haven't spent as much time living in Buffalo as you imply. In fact, it seems to me that you have never actually lived in the Buffalo at all but have only been a long-term visitor.

Furthermore, your ignorance of the economic woes of Upstate cities and towns as well as those of other Great Lakes cities like Detroit, Cleveland, Toledo, etc only supports the idea that you are from some other part of the country. They're all pretty much in the same boat.

Quote:
Lol, I won't actually. Never did and never will. I'm over Buffalo like a lot of people are. I'm not going to deny the negative qualities of the place, but I see some people live in denial...
Really? You are apparently as "over" Buffalo as the cutie who makes a scene when she sees her ex-boyfriend out with another girl.

Quote:
The UB is a great school and has an amazing Engineering program and buisness program, haven't heard of their Architecture program tho, but those programs are amazing at UB tbh. They are both among the top SUNY Universities out of the bunch, thats for sure. I was mainly going off of college rankings both nationally and international in regards to the university itself. SBU is listed as #82 as best National Universities and #34 in top public schools. The program I am in is ranked #32 nationally at SBU too.

I guess I find the poverty that is increasing to be Buffalo's biggest downfall and it's hard to dress it up to make it sound better than what it really is. Harsh truth and reality. This is what I have experienced and seen thus far. And although the housing is cheaper, due to bad family situations and lack of opportunities in my perspective career path, I don't see myself ever having a life here.
Why are you harping on "poverty" in every post? It's not a disease that will infect anybody who comes in contact with it! Yeah, there are a lot of poor people in the City of Buffalo, but there are many, many fewer poor people in the suburbs around the city. That's pretty much the way it is in every large and medium sized city in America, and in some smaller cities as well. Wealthy people live in their own areas, middle class people live in theirs, and poor people live in theirs, and usually the groups don't mingle much.

It seems to me that what you really dislike the most about Buffalo is that it's not NYC. All I can say to that is "Amen!"

BTW, since you intend to live in areas where competition for jobs is fierce, you really need to work on your English skills ...
  • it's "weeping" not "wheeping"
  • it's "prospective career path" not "perspective career path"
You ain't gonna git a good job in the Big Apple writin like a ignorant hillbilly.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
You obviously haven't spent much time in the city of your dreams, NYC, if you think "the summers are too hot and humid with little comfort" in Buffalo but think NYC will be better. As for poverty, well, let's just say that not all of NYC is the Manhattan of novels and movies.

That you have never been to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls says that you really haven't spent as much time living in Buffalo as you imply. In fact, it seems to me that you have never actually lived in the Buffalo at all but have only been a long-term visitor.

Furthermore, your ignorance of the economic woes of Upstate cities and towns as well as those of other Great Lakes cities like Detroit, Cleveland, Toledo, etc only supports the idea that you are from some other part of the country. They're all pretty much in the same boat.

Really? You are apparently as "over" Buffalo as the cutie who makes a scene when she sees her ex-boyfriend out with another girl.

Why are you harping on "poverty" in every post? It's not a disease that will infect anybody who comes in contact with it! Yeah, there are a lot of poor people in the City of Buffalo, but there are many, many fewer poor people in the suburbs around the city. That's pretty much the way it is in every large and medium sized city in America, and in some smaller cities as well. Wealthy people live in their own areas, middle class people live in theirs, and poor people live in theirs, and usually the groups don't mingle much.

It seems to me that what you really dislike the most about Buffalo is that it's not NYC. All I can say to that is "Amen!"

BTW, since you intend to live in areas where competition for jobs is fierce, you really need to work on your English skills ...
  • it's "weeping" not "wheeping"
  • it's "prospective career path" not "perspective career path"
You ain't gonna git a good job in the Big Apple writin like a ignorant hillbilly.
My posts hit a soft spot for you did it? These are my opinions and observation of Buffalo. I can't help if you feel threatened and get defensive about it. You're only upsetting yourself by taking it personally due to your emotional response. If you feel like throwing ad hominems at me personally for my own views of how I see Buffalo, by all means, go ahead and continue. It's good to know I can help you vent in some way.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:30 AM

417 posts, read 867,682 times
I think Zara Ray needs a Celexa

Old 01-20-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackmaxx View Post
I think Zara Ray needs a Celexa
No, I don't need them, but I can see why you would know about it and recommend it since you live in a place like this. It's a pretty depressive place and the cold long winters doesn't help either. Isn't Buffalo ranked one of the most depressed cities in the country?

America's top 10 miserable cities - MSN Real Estate

America's top 10 miserable cities

8. Buffalo, N.Y.
This Snowbelt city is still the second-largest in New York state, but the population has fallen more than 50% over the past half-century as the industrial base waned.

Here is a smile for you to help you out.

Last edited by Zara Ray; 01-20-2014 at 09:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area