Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 05:07 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,219,758 times

Advertisements

Being down in Texas, you can not get a good hot dog.

There are not even Texas red hots, people have never heard of this.

I have had family members send me coolers of sahlens dogs frozen with dry ice.

I'm good now.

Also, Tim Hortons coffee that I make in my own home, with K Cups is not even close to what you get in the restaurants. It may be the water? I miss the hortons coffee.

There is no decent horseradish down here. Helluva good is my favorite brand, the kind that is in the cooler at the store.

Horseradish is in the ketchup aisle here, and there is one brand that is not good.

I did find a little pizza place down here owned by a couple guys from Buffalo. The Pizza is not good, but the wings remind me of home.

I have not found any decent blue cheese either, nothing is like rooties.

Texas for me is a much better place to live, and make a living. I doubled my salary coming out here first year, and my wife took three years to double hers.

Everything is cheaper than it was in NY. Gas, Utilities, Insurance, no state income tax.

Our winter is not hawaii, it has cold gloomy days sometimes, and 70 degrees others.

It is just less hard on my body, no shoveling, and the city closes with the threat of snow or ice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 05:39 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,267,693 times
Utilities are cheaper hard to believe. Isn't the AC running all the time there in the summer

Old 06-19-2017, 01:51 PM

64 posts, read 52,894 times
There is an old saying...if the town is good place for you to live in then the town is a good place for you to live in.....nobody can discourage you either from moving to or away from Buffalo....

As far as the weather goes...Boston Mass. And Chicago ill..have more snow fall and worse weather patterns than Buffalo NY...

So get off the weather thing queenies...

The city is trying to reinvent itself as a tourist city...for instance look at the new development at the marina..and compare it to the dreadful big city down in the wedge .......
Manhattan .......has the ship intrepid ... And it is over 30 dollars to stand in crowds to get in and see.........
Our old navy yard consists of 3 or more ships to see and a store restaurant and a holy host of additions for only 10 dollars.....
BUFFALO......THAT'S THE WAY TO GO......BABY

Old 06-19-2017, 03:43 PM

821 posts, read 761,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeboy View Post
There is an old saying...if the town is good place for you to live in then the town is a good place for you to live in.....nobody can discourage you either from moving to or away from Buffalo....

As far as the weather goes...Boston Mass. And Chicago ill..have more snow fall and worse weather patterns than Buffalo NY...

So get off the weather thing queenies...

The city is trying to reinvent itself as a tourist city...for instance look at the new development at the marina..and compare it to the dreadful big city down in the wedge .......
Manhattan .......has the ship intrepid ... And it is over 30 dollars to stand in crowds to get in and see.........
Our old navy yard consists of 3 or more ships to see and a store restaurant and a holy host of additions for only 10 dollars.....
BUFFALO......THAT'S THE WAY TO GO......BABY
I HATE when people bash Buffalo's weather as a way to attack the city itself. I laugh as it is a pleasant 70 degrees and bright sunshine, while it is 120 in Phoenix.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:43 AM

937 posts, read 700,429 times
Very old thread.

Why would anyone with a half a brain want to live in a desert with basically NO water, except what is rationed?

Because they don't have to shovel snow? The majority of snow is usually south of the city anyways.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:10 AM

80 posts, read 51,386 times
Smile Well I love Buffalo/Williamsville

I am coming from Brooklyn, NY and I can tell you that Buffalo well Williamsville is the best place to live. As you see from my previous threads my whole process of getting up here. It was worth it all. I was on a 50k yearly income and could hardly survive in metro NY. I am from Atlanta, Ga but lived in Brooklyn for 13 horrible years and it was hell each day.

Each time I would go to the deli around the corner I would be hustled for 1-2 dollars by the homeless. My rent was high and my landlord planned on raising it by 200 a year. Child care was a lot. My insurance for partial coverage was 400.00 and here I am paying 192.00 for full coverage. After all expenses were paid, I barely had any money left for food and laundry. The quality of life is not good at all in metro NYC.

On my relocation drive up here, I felt the mountain air and saw all of the greenery and was so happy to get out of that filthy city. I was surprised at the friendliness here. As one guy was walking to his car he kindly told me to be careful of the ice on the ground. I was shocked lol. In Brooklyn, the people are not so friendly and even many of the doctors are rude and don't have good bedside manners. They just start talking about your treatment plan.

I moved into a beautiful two bedroom that actually has a dishwasher and a laundry system on the same floor. I don't have to worry about taking my laundry down 3 flights of stairs and across the street. My car is parked outside in a safe area. I don't have to worry about moving my car each day to avoid a (street cleaning) ticket. There is an actual Walmart that I can go to purchase all of my food. I almost fell out at the prices of milk here which was 1.73. In Brooklyn, it is 3.99-4.99 for one jug of milk. When I first went shopping my grocery bill was 56.00 in opposed to the 120.00 I spent in metro NY for the same food!! My two sons that have autism are in great schools thanks to the help I received on these threads from fellow, kind, Western New Yorkers.
I thank God each day for this city and we will stay and make it greater!!!!

Last edited by khazzaly22; 11-25-2018 at 07:57 AM..

Old 11-25-2018, 08:33 AM

821 posts, read 761,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khazzaly22 View Post
I am coming from Brooklyn, NY and I can tell you that Buffalo well Williamsville is the best place to live. As you see from my previous threads my whole process of getting up here. It was worth it all. I was on a 50k yearly income and could hardly survive in metro NY. I am from Atlanta, Ga but lived in Brooklyn for 13 horrible years and it was hell each day.

Each time I would go to the deli around the corner I would be hustled for 1-2 dollars by the homeless. My rent was high and my landlord planned on raising it by 200 a year. Child care was a lot. My insurance for partial coverage was 400.00 and here I am paying 192.00 for full coverage. After all expenses were paid, I barely had any money left for food and laundry. The quality of life is not good at all in metro NYC.

On my relocation drive up here, I felt the mountain air and saw all of the greenery and was so happy to get out of that filthy city. I was surprised at the friendliness here. As one guy was walking to his car he kindly told me to be careful of the ice on the ground. I was shocked lol. In Brooklyn, the people are not so friendly and even many of the doctors are rude and don't have good bedside manners. They just start talking about your treatment plan.

I moved into a beautiful two bedroom that actually has a dishwasher and a laundry system on the same floor. I don't have to worry about taking my laundry down 3 flights of stairs and across the street. My car is parked outside in a safe area. I don't have to worry about moving my car each day to avoid a (street cleaning) ticket. There is an actual Walmart that I can go to purchase all of my food. I almost fell out at the prices of milk here which was 1.73. In Brooklyn, it is 3.99-4.99 for one jug of milk. When I first went shopping my grocery bill was 56.00 in opposed to the 120.00 I spent in metro NY for the same food!! My two sons that have autism are in great schools thanks to the help I received on these threads from fellow, kind, Western New Yorkers.
I thank God each day for this city and we will stay and make it greater!!!!
So glad you like it here! It really is night and day compared to NYC, especially with raising a family.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
So glad you like it here! It really is night and day compared to NYC, especially with raising a family.
Yes, I wish I discovered Buffalo 13 years ago. I regret having wasted those valuable years in metro NY. As much as I have encouraged my Brooklyn family to come discover and live here...
I realized that everyone won't appreciate the cleanliness, friendly and awesomeness of this city. This city is not for those that complain about everything but won't do something to help the problem or try to get it to be like metro NY.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:31 PM

6,430 posts, read 4,922,941 times
I am glad you settled in Williamsville. I lived the next town over, Snyder for most of my life. Its the best area of Buffalo IMHO. Safe, close to everything and not in the snow belt. Welcome to WNY.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I am glad you settled in Williamsville. I lived the next town over, Snyder for most of my life. Its the best area of Buffalo IMHO. Safe, close to everything and not in the snow belt. Welcome to WNY.
Thanks for the warm welcome. When the weather gets warmer, I will explore Snyder and other areas like Tonawanda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area