Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 09:03 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,206,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara Ray View Post
My posts hit a soft spot for you did it? These are my opinions and observation of Buffalo. I can't help if you feel threatened and get defensive about it. You're only upsetting yourself by taking it personally due to your emotional response. If you feel like throwing ad hominems at me personally for my own views of how I see Buffalo, by all means, go ahead and continue. It's good to know I can help you vent in some way.
If you read my posts on the Buffalo forum, you'll find that I'm not shy about dissing Buffalo, a city that I actually lived in for 20 years, when it's deserved so your attempt to deflect the topic away from my criticisms of your posts is a giant FAIL.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 01-21-2014 at 03:13 AM.. Reason: calling someone a troll is considered a personal attack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 09:05 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,206,868 times
Quote:
No, I don't need them, but I can see why you would know about it and recommend it since you live in a place like this. It's a pretty depressive place and the cold long winters doesn't help either. Isn't Buffalo ranked one of the most depressed cities in the country?

America's top 10 miserable cities - MSN Real Estate

America's top 10 miserable cities

8. Buffalo, N.Y.
This Snowbelt city is still the second-largest in New York state, but the population has fallen more than 50% over the past half-century as the industrial base waned.

Here is a smile for you to help you out.
So this is the basis of your "hatred" for Buffalo!!!! ROTFLMAO.

Fess up, Zara, have you actually ever been to Buffalo????

Old 01-20-2014, 09:10 AM

417 posts, read 868,060 times
Im happy here, im prescribing it for you. I'm not here to brag but I do quite well for myself and know that if I was in NYC, $300,000 wouldn't buy me anything close to what I have, id be in a under 1,000 sq ft apartment to be in Manhattan, have no cars, and no equity because Id probably have to rent even on an over $100k salary because that is chicken **** in the big city. You'll find out when you grow up and see how the world works. Its not all horrible in the great burbs of erie county and its not all glitz and glamor in the big city.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:48 AM

506 posts, read 958,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
If you read my posts on the Buffalo forum, you'll find that I'm not shy about dissing Buffalo, a city that I actually lived in for 20 years, when it's deserved so your attempt to deflect the topic away from my criticisms of your posts is a giant FAIL.
Not everyone is going to like or love Buffalo and everyone has a right to their own opinions whether you like them or not. It's what adults do if you didn't know. I still hold my beliefs of Buffalo and if anything, this makes me think worse of the place with people like you "trying" to defend it. If you diss the city yourself, why do you get emotionally charged when someone else does? Sounds like you have a personal problem and I can't help you get over it.

Oh, and your responses would have more more sense if you would have actually responded to what I was talking about in my original post that you twisted around and talk about cities and words I never said.

First of all I only mentioned Buffalo, I never mentioned any other poverty driven city in the US or in the rust belt.

Second, I never said anything else about WNY, just Buffalo so where you went with that one is a mystery to me (and probably you too).

Third, Buffalo does have more extreme weather in comparison to NYC or southern NY. Lake Erie doesn't help.

Fourth, where in my posts did I ever say "weeping"? You made that one up and it makes you look crazy since I never said "weeping" so you 'corrected' something that was never there in the first place.

Firth,
Quote:
Why are you harping on "poverty" in every post?
It is the most OBVIOUS thing about Buffalo. Everyone talks about it, residents, visitors, etc., etc. Look at the economy within the city, the run down buildings and neighborhoods, the bad school districts, you must be blind not to see it or choose not to pay attention. Buffalo gets ranked time and time again as being the worst city in many aspects in the US. Those are serious problems that hurt the quality of life within the city itself and I'm not ignorant about them being there. Buffalo was a thriving city in the mid 20th century but it hasn't passed the test of time.

Judging by your posts in this thread and after reading your other posts on CD, I only hope you are not a grown woman.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 01-21-2014 at 03:14 AM..

Old 01-20-2014, 10:36 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,272,938 times
Quote:
If you consider me a troll over a few posts on Buffalo, go ahead. Not everyone is going to like or love Buffalo and everyone has a right to their own opinions whether you like them or not. It's what adults do if you didn't know. I still hold my beliefs of Buffalo and if anything, this makes me think worse of the place with people like you "trying" to defend it. If you diss the city yourself, why do you get emotionally charged when someone else does? Sounds like you have a personal problem and I can't help you get over it.

Oh, and your responses would have more more sense if you would have actually responded to what I was talking about in my original post that you twisted around and talk about cities and words I never said.

First of all I only mentioned Buffalo, I never mentioned any other poverty driven city in the US or in the rust belt.

Second, I never said anything else about WNY, just Buffalo so where you went with that one is a mystery to me (and probably you too).

Third, Buffalo does have more extreme weather in comparison to NYC or southern NY. Lake Erie doesn't help.

Fourth, where in my posts did I ever say "weeping"? You made that one up and it makes you look crazy since I never said "weeping" so you 'corrected' something that was never there in the first place.

Firth, It is the most OBVIOUS thing about Buffalo. Everyone talks about it, residents, visitors, etc., etc. Look at the economy within the city, the run down buildings and neighborhoods, the bad school districts, you must be blind not to see it or choose not to pay attention. Buffalo gets ranked time and time again as being the worst city in many aspects in the US. Those are serious problems that hurt the quality of life within the city itself and I'm not ignorant about them being there. Buffalo was a thriving city in the mid 20th century but it hasn't passed the test of time.

Judging by your posts in this thread and after reading your other posts on CD, I only hope you are not a grown woman.
Above your name it states "one hour from NYC "wheep""

Old 01-20-2014, 10:58 AM

506 posts, read 958,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Above your name it states "one hour from NYC "wheep""
You make more sense than Linda_d and actually gave me a proper response. Thanks, but Linda stated "wheep" instead of "wheeping" (I don't have "wheeping" on anywhere) it would have more more sense.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:46 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,820,073 times
Quote:
The UB is a great school and has an amazing Engineering program and buisness program, haven't heard of their Architecture program tho, but those programs are amazing at UB tbh. They are both among the top SUNY Universities out of the bunch, thats for sure. I was mainly going off of college rankings both nationally and international in regards to the university itself. SBU is listed as #82 as best National Universities and #34 in top public schools. The program I am in is ranked #32 nationally at SBU too.

I guess I find the poverty that is increasing to be Buffalo's biggest downfall and it's hard to dress it up to make it sound better than what it really is. Harsh truth and reality. This is what I have experienced and seen thus far. And although the housing is cheaper, due to bad family situations and lack of opportunities in my perspective career path, I don't see myself ever having a life here.
No wonder you are having trouble.

It is PROSPECTIVE, not PERSPECTIVE!

Please, if you want to spend your time bashing the area, by all means, do leave. Then try to live on LI for what you can here, especially as a student. Stony Brook is not a cheap area to live near, nor is it easy if you have no car (and car costs are higher there). And yes, Zara, I know what I am talking about: I came from LI, I have family on LI and I am grateful every day that when I graduated college here (over 40 years ago) that I chose to stay in Buffalo. I'm the one in the family with no regrets and money woes.... the one who didn't choke on the cost of living over a lifetime and still managed to get married and raise a family and retire with my husband, debt free.

Last edited by BuffaloTransplant; 01-20-2014 at 03:58 PM..

Old 01-20-2014, 04:03 PM

132 posts, read 159,624 times
it's normal for young people to want to move away and make it in the big city. No point trying to fight it. I was the same, now I'm trying to escape the rat race

Old 01-21-2014, 08:02 AM

271 posts, read 532,497 times
I know NYC is sexy and all, but the quality of life is damned near poor if you don't make serious, serious coin. The overcrowding, the lack of affordable food, the tiny kitchens if you do get a place, the violence and poverty sometimes jutting out to your front door, even in posh parts of Manhattan. And it's dirty. I've lived in genuine ghettos and I've never seen the vermin problem that tourist areas of Manhattan have. They have roaches the size of your fist.

Most middle-class employed people don't have roommates and ride the subway in other parts of the country. That's the reality for nearly everyone who moves to NYC and doesn't land $120K right away. If you actually take a look around, you'll see quite easily that most people are struggling... even those wide-eyed 20-somethings that bought into the lifestyle at first, loved it, and then realized that they couldn't really afford it. You find them now being urban pioneers in former warzones, renovating shacks as heroin is openly sold on their stoop, trying to convince their debt-free friends who still live in their smaller towns that they've made the right decision.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:08 PM

933 posts, read 1,534,372 times
I've always thought of Buffalo as being one of the most underrated cities/metro areas in the country. I've been following development within the area and it seems like there have been significant projects bringing jobs into the area (Green Energy Campus, Yahoo expanding, Ford expanding at their Hamburg plant, the Alita USA steel plant that's coming to South Buffalo, I could go on). There's plenty of amazing architecture within the city of Buffalo and coming from the Sprawl Belt... oops Sun Belt it was nice to see such a compact and walk-able and bike-friendly city. It seems like there'd plenty to do year round and tons of outdoor recreation opportunities, beaches in the summer, snowmobiling in the winter. The countryside in Western New York is beautiful, as is the lakefront at Lake Erie.

You guys have quite a bit to be proud of. Sure, there might be some poverty and blight, but what major US city is lacking in that category? Buffalo is a great city and Western New York is a great region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area