Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 01:36 PM

62 posts, read 176,037 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the input everyone....good starting points for research!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 01:02 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momnh View Post
I like Williston a lot. It has a very strong community spirit, since the schools, library, etc are at the heart of the village and there are a LOT of families in town. Many outsiders only know it by the big box stores at the I-89 exit but there is a lot more to Williston than that (including a lot of rural land plus the Catamount family center). It's also well positioned geographically. My commute to downtown Burlington is only 6 miles, and it's convenient to Waterbury, Montpelier and the mountains too.
My wife and I were walking our dogs near the Williston Library/School the other day and I noticed they were building some nice homes right off the trail. I'm not usually much of a subdivision guy but I thought that would be a great place for a family with kids. The houses had nice character for new construction.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:59 PM

274 posts, read 673,919 times
I looked at those houses when we bought ours. They are in the $475k-$525k range. They are using pretty high end finishes to set it apart from other subdivision types so that's a big driver. The location is great though. I also like the lots/houses going in next to Catamount. Very woodsy, with access to everything at Catamount, yet the Williston Bike Path is at the end of the road, with direct access to the village.

One of these days, the right existing house in the village will come up for sale and that's where we'll land. I'd like one of the older ones with a large barn and 1+ acre.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momnh View Post
I looked at those houses when we bought ours. They are in the $475k-$525k range. They are using pretty high end finishes to set it apart from other subdivision types so that's a big driver. The location is great though. I also like the lots/houses going in next to Catamount. Very woodsy, with access to everything at Catamount, yet the Williston Bike Path is at the end of the road, with direct access to the village.

One of these days, the right existing house in the village will come up for sale and that's where we'll land. I'd like one of the older ones with a large barn and 1+ acre.
As someone who needs a new roof, wiring, and furnace-those move in houses look pretty good to me at the moment.

And my house isn't all that old.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:18 AM

21 posts, read 45,395 times
Default Where did you settle? Was it the right choice?

Hey, CT Trackstar,

I'm just curious which town you chose (and which area within the town if you don't mind saying) as I'm looking for the same you are now. I hope to move to Burlington area with a 9 year old daughter......I came up for a quick look, and was really impressed with the Shelburne community school. I looked at Jericho, but it seems to sleepy for us. I think Shelburne is the best choice, but I can't say I like most of the new sub-divisions. They all seem to be very short on trees.....lots of big, new houses, all perched together in a field. Those neighborhoods just don't feel so "cozy". I looked quickly at Williston....seems hard to find a house where you don't have noise from a nearby main road. If you have any advice after having gone through your search, would appreciate it! Thanks.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:45 AM

62 posts, read 176,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriatic View Post
Hey, CT Trackstar,

I'm just curious which town you chose (and which area within the town if you don't mind saying) as I'm looking for the same you are now. I hope to move to Burlington area with a 9 year old daughter......I came up for a quick look, and was really impressed with the Shelburne community school. I looked at Jericho, but it seems to sleepy for us. I think Shelburne is the best choice, but I can't say I like most of the new sub-divisions. They all seem to be very short on trees.....lots of big, new houses, all perched together in a field. Those neighborhoods just don't feel so "cozy". I looked quickly at Williston....seems hard to find a house where you don't have noise from a nearby main road. If you have any advice after having gone through your search, would appreciate it! Thanks.
Haven't finalized the job issue so we haven't actively looked yet...just gathering background in anticipation.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriatic View Post
I looked quickly at Williston....seems hard to find a house where you don't have noise from a nearby main road.
Far from true.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:07 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
Agree with Quickdraw...there are lots of areas in Williston that are not on a main road. Where were you looking? Try the southeastern part of town...Basically east of Route 116 and south of 89.
I also have friends that live off 2A near the Essex line and they don't have any main road noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT