Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 01:56 PM

43 posts, read 102,828 times

Advertisements

After many years in New Mexico its time to return to New England. We are originally from the Rutland Area, spent most of my time in Claremont on the wrong side of the river.

Right now we are looking at Milton Vermont. How is Milton? How would you rate the school district? How are the roads? Internet access? Also looking for office space for my company, prefer it to be in Milton as I like to stay out of the big city (burlington, lol). We have a 3 year old son, so we are looking at pre school options for him. We are ready to go back to the rural lifestyle and work off the mid section with some pond hockey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 12:09 PM

26 posts, read 47,202 times
Milton school district? I wouldn't send my kids there. South Burlington is the best around - think again.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:58 AM

May i enquire the reason's why you look unfavorably upon the Milton School District?

Old 11-06-2011, 06:42 PM

13 posts, read 28,877 times
Milton schools aren't so great, and it would be easy for a kid to get in with the wrong crowd there. Colchester is just to the south and they have a better reputation and test scores but the town still has the general rural feel that Milton has.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:39 AM

111 posts, read 562,462 times
My kids have been in the Milton School District for the last ten years. It has been a great experience for us. My oldest son is taking AP courses and getting ready for college. The teachers I have met over the years have been hard working people who cared about the kids they had in their class. The families who stay involved with their kids education are turning out smart, college bound kids. Of course there is always a "wrong crowd" at any school that your kids can get involved in, but if you pay attention to what your kid is doing than you can manage that. Sure, the Colchester, Essex and South Burlington school districts have more money and are better, but not everyone can afford to live in those towns. That doesn't mean that Milton is not a good school district. The parents just need to stay involved with what is going on with their kids.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:05 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,672,476 times
Mary77 makes a good point about being involved in children's educations and activities, but the reality is that many if not most families are lucky enough to eat a meal with their kids because both parents have to work. There is no one single reason why one school district is good while another one isn't. I don't think anyone intentionally wants to give a town a bad rap , but the test results speak for themselves. The majority of the kids scored poorly on the NECAP test (year after year) and that is why the Milton school system ranks low in the state. Sure, a child may do wonderful in that school district, but the odds are lower than if they were to go to a great school district.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:17 PM

Are there private schools in Milton?

Old 11-13-2011, 06:48 AM

20 posts, read 24,770 times
I had no issues with the Milton schools when I was there and this was back in the late 90's. I'm not sure how they are now though. You will have your trouble makers at any school. Just make sure you know what your kids are doing and who they are hanging out with.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:52 AM

20 posts, read 24,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy7845 View Post
Are there private schools in Milton?

No. I don't believe so.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:00 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,963,195 times
Traditionally, Essex ( IBM) and South Burlington ( airport, numerous restaurants, car dealerships on both Williston and Shelburne Roads) have been the strongest school districts, while the city of Burlington has offered decent public education, along with popular Catholic schools as well...

Milton and Mount Mansfield have started to emerge as large school districts in the last 25 years or so; they were almost "afterthoughts" before that..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT