Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 02:39 PM

546 posts, read 2,204,262 times

Advertisements

if you are currently being paid 95K at a private firm, not much good benefits versus 90K government job with more stabability and great retirement, would you change job? would you also negotiate on a higher pay? I have a friend who's offered the 90K gov job, but she doesn't negotiate as she doesn't want to give a bad impression to the employer and believes that with her future performance, there's always a chance to have an increase. agree with her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 02:41 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
if you are currently being paid 95K at a private firm, not much good benefits versus 90K government job with more stabability and great retirement, would you change job? would you also negotiate on a higher pay? I have a friend who's offered the 90K gov job, but she doesn't negotiate as she doesn't want to give a bad impression to the employer and believes that with her future performance, there's always a chance to have an increase. agree with her?
Depends on the agency. Some gov't agencies are good, others not so much. Just like with any other job offer, she needs to do her research.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:29 PM

764 posts, read 1,557,522 times
I wouldnt work for the FED either...i find their high wages and benefits immoral, and i'm not a hypocrite.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:37 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Yes and yes. I'd try for more, but if they balk, take the pay which isn't really much less and the better security.

PS mas sorry but not sure which is funnier, implying all "fed" wages or high or that making a lot is immoral.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:45 PM

720 posts, read 3,007,401 times
Quote:
I agree I think gov workers are way overpaid but if you have the opportunity to be one jump on it.

I think its really dumb to quibble over 5k. First off 5k is alot hwen were talking 25k vs 30k however at 90k and 95k its not enough to complain about. ALso, gov pension nad benefits will essentially increase your pay by a huge amouhnt over private sector pay and benefits. Take the job and quit whining about 5k

Old 09-09-2010, 07:58 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Quote:
I took a cut in pay to go to work for the government. Get in at any cost, it will pay off many fold over the years..
I also agree with her, let your preformance do the talking for you. The agency I worked for wasn't into negotiation, unless it's a top level management job.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:12 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I took a cut in pay to go to work for the government. Get in at any cost, it will pay off many fold over the years..
I also agree with her, let your preformance do the talking for you. The agency I worked for wasn't into negotiation, unless it's a top level management job.
Proceed with caution. The political tide is primed for a change, and government is certainly not immune to RIFs. In times past, a government job was widely believed to be the golden ticket, but I don't think that's true any longer.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 09-09-2010 at 09:21 PM..

Old 09-12-2010, 07:55 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
I took a 50% paycut to work for the Govt, but that's b/c I was unemployed for months and just wanted to get back to work. That being said, you can ask the Govt to match your civilian salary. They'll want to see some paystubs and then see if their agency's budget allows for the position to hire at that rate. If so, great. If not, take it. 5K is not a big deal, all things considered. I'd be more concerned about my quality of life in working for the Govt. If you like to work at work, be productive, and not deal w/high school attitudes, petty politics, and people much less qualified than you supervsing you, you'll love working for the Govt. If not, keep your day job. I guess it depends on how you define "benefits." BTW, I pay MORE for medical coverage than I did for medical, dental, and vision combined when I was working in the private sector. If the job market were better right now, I'd ditch the Govt. But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:22 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,838 times
Take a government job any day of the week and twice on sunday. I'm a self-admitted anachronistic gen Yer. I don't want riches, I want a paycheck continuum and competitive benefits. I don't want perma-job hopping, even if that is what is being prescribed to my generation. I want a pension, or half a pension, any pension. I want internal lateral career progression outlets and the income security it provides.

I balked at two different private employers, in this economy mind you, over my current part-time government job(military). Both jobs have since folded. I made the right decision as I would have been on my a$$ within a year of taking either job. I rest my case.

Also recognize I speak for the median college educated employee. If you're trained in any kind of quant skill an/or professional skillset, the 50 percentile employee gets a better lifetime shot with government employment, IF homesteading, paycheck-continuity over paycheck size and aggregate benefits is the goal. Competition for these government jobs is obviously stiff. I do expect once these boomers get off the pot finally we would be able to slide in. These jobs dissappear? We're hosed, game over. Anybody with spanish fluency and american education would be better off moving to Brazil (yes, they speak Portuguese, that's how crappy the outlook the median college graduate in america would be if the government job standard disappears) at that point......

We just had a colleague commit suicide couple of weeks ago. Government military career coming to an end and family refused to relocate their teenage children and life friends to chase the prescribed private employment to follow. Perma-nomadism may have become an economic necessity in this country, but it's killing our social fabric. Life may not be a guarantee, but you pretty much guarantee yourself sub-decade moves by pursuing private employment. That's a death blow to the expectations of quality of life in this country. It's another element of modern economic slavery.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:48 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Take the job, the gov gives great benefits especially healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business