Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Beginning of the end
Yes 16 28.57%
No 31 55.36%
Invincible 9 16.07%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 07:20 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,049,508 times

Advertisements

With the guidance Walmart provided analysts today, is this the "zenith" of their trajectory? Walmart: Wage hikes are killing our profits - Oct. 14, 2015 Thoughts?

Last edited by 5ForksSC; 10-14-2015 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: added poll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 07:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Walmart is the canary in the coal mine. I said that back in 2007 when the wheels started falling off the bus.

Walmart caters to the least financially able in society. When the food stamp folks can't keep Walmart in the black then you know that things are not good in America.

The various dollar stores are currently doing booming business. That should tell you where these "consumers" are shopping these days.

The slow decline continues.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:55 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
I used to shop at WalMart almost exclusively. Then, starting a year or so ago, I noticed they stopped stocking the shelves. Almost everything I went in for that day was out of stock. I took pictures and emailed them into corporate.

The next week I went in, same thing. There was the paper towel aisle with no paper towels. The Smucker's jam shelf with no jam, just jelly. No beans. No Prego marinara sauce, no wheat pasta. No flour. No sugar! I couldn't believe it. I now go to Target, which is right across the street. It's cleaner, has better clientele, and fully stocked shelves. Their produce is decent, unlike WalMart's which is halfway rotten by the time it hits the shelf.

We gave WalMart a month to stock their shelves, and eventually gave up.

I'm not sure what WalMart is doing, but you can't sell product you don't have.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:04 PM

I find it interesting that the guidance for FY '17 includes increasing labor costs, which on the surface appear to be a one time hit to the bottom line. Labor costs are customarily recurring charges for purposes of acounting. Walmart currently employees a LOT of people.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCguy81 View Post
I find it interesting that the guidance for FY '17 includes increasing labor costs, which on the surface appear to be a one time hit to the bottom line. Labor costs are customarily recurring charges for purposes of acounting. Walmart currently employees a LOT of people.
Don't forget that many cities and states have instituted the min $15/hour law.
By 2017 Walmart will be hit for that.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:43 PM

Good point! Since the Fiscal Year '17 starts next year and ends Jan '17, I got to thinking about how they intend to increase earnings by FY '19? Cut actual labor, raise prices, increase sales? It looks like they have begun to adjust growth strategy. Trimming projected new store openings, especially in the Neighhood Markets division. I agree with your assesment, they are the "economic canary in the coal mine"

Old 10-14-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCguy81 View Post
Good point! Since the Fiscal Year '17 starts next year and ends Jan '17, I got to thinking about how they intend to increase earnings by FY '19? Cut actual labor, raise prices, increase sales? It looks like they have begun to adjust growth strategy. Trimming projected new store openings, especially in the Neighhood Markets division. I agree with your assesment, they are the "economic canary in the coal mine"
So I asked myself "If these people aren't going to Walmart then where are they going ?"

The dollar stores my friend..the next lowest rung after Walmart.

I'm now going to look into Dollar General and Big Lots as possible investments.

To quote the famous Rahm Emanual words:

"Never let a good crisis go to waste".

Old 10-14-2015, 09:05 PM

Walmart is also changing how they do self-checkouts to curb shoplifting and cheating.

They corral a section off and have the self checkouts along the 3 walls with 1 person sitting higher up along the 4th wall where they can see everything going on. And all people have to pass this one person on their way out.
That one person also has a computer screen that shows all the checkouts in that section.

They have that installed in the Walmart where my son lives. I was checking it out and saw the screen (techno geek here). I counted 9 checkouts within that corral. That's 1 person overseeing 9 checkouts, maybe two on the weekends when there are crowds. Now that's labor reduction.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:07 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So I asked myself "If these people aren't going to Walmart then where are they going ?"

The dollar stores my friend..the next lowest rung after Walmart.

I'm now going to look into Dollar General and Big Lots as possible investments.

To quote the famous Rahm Emanual words:

"Never let a good crisis go to waste".

Walmart is losing sales to Amazon and grocery stores, did you read the article?

Old 10-14-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Walmart is losing sales to Amazon and grocery stores, did you read the article?
Yes I did but Walmart also sells "stuff". The EBT crowd shops at Walmart but they still need their "stuff".

Big Lots profit up as same-store sales rise - MarketWatch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business