Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 10:15 AM

788 posts, read 1,249,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
Any suggestions?
Yes, just one. Stay in your office job. You are not cut out to be an entrepreneur. Not now anyways.
You ask us what a good business is? Most businesses are run by people who know the industry and have a passion for what they do. They didn't ask for advice on what to do and then started doing it and became successful.
IF, and that is a very big IF, you are ever going into business for yourself, know the market, know what you want and what you are good at. Don't ask strangers on a forum what business will make you money. As long as you have to ask someone else, never go into business for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 12:48 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
The dry cleaning biz maybe? I know of a guy who got out of the liquor store business to open 2 cleaners. He must know something. In upscale neighborhoods the market seems to support multiple cleaners.
There's a lot of reasons to get out of the liquor store business.

Dry cleaning is only viable if you have a solid plant backing you up. To run a plant, you need someone that is like a mechanic, a spotter for fabrics that's amazing and a lot of people who are willing to work very hard, very fast, pay attention to detail while running on concrete all day with a heat humidity factor that reminds me of of Thailand in the summer.

To run an agency, your dry cleaning basically pays your rent. Better location - more volume, but higher rent. You make your money from alterations, but need to be good at it. If your location is in an area where people will wear crap, then it's not going to work.

None of it is easy though.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:27 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Cocaine smuggling.

Significant downside risk, but low initial investment and high profit margins.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:52 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Anything food related is a 7 day a week operation. I have known owners of donut shops and other small places and they never have time off. One couple that bought the business while the husband worked there ended up working all the time. They eventually sold the business, their home, and moved to a lower cost of living area. Another guy I know grew up in his parents hamburger joint. His dad and mom ran that place for over 30 years. The parents goal? Make sure that they put their kids thru school so that they would not have to work in the food industry again. Both of the boys ended up getting Masters degrees, and one runs a medical center now. The hamburger place? The parents sold it and rent the building it was in to other people.

Something that I like as a business is managing assets. I have been building my own asset base. Realize that these can be anything, something that you wrote, a business plan, I read of a teacher that started selling lesson plans on line. She has continued to add to her product offerings. She says she has over 300 things that she sells on line to other educators. Since she started the business she has made over $1million in the 6 years she has ran the company.

In my area we have a lot of clothing lines that people have started. Shaun Neff, a friend, opened his business Neff Headwear and is now up to $100million a year in sales. George Lopez opened his clothing line, fifty150 here in Oxnard where I live and he sells not only at his store, he sells online and at his shows you can also buy fifty150 hats, shirts, and other things. Makes it easier if you are a celebrity I guess. What it is though is building a brand and getting a following.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:30 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,732,691 times
To those who're saying that there is no such thing as a simple business and that it owns you etc. BULLCRUD!

It does not have to be intense. It can be 20 hrs a week. The best businesses are run with very simple blueprints. And they do not require a ton of hours or stress, although it can and does happen.

Can someone tell me why it has to be a big elaborate complicated endeavor to operate a small business? WHY!?

Old 04-23-2017, 05:01 AM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
To those who're saying that there is no such thing as a simple business and that it owns you etc. BULLCRUD!

It does not have to be intense. It can be 20 hrs a week. The best businesses are run with very simple blueprints. And they do not require a ton of hours or stress, although it can and does happen.

Can someone tell me why it has to be a big elaborate complicated endeavor to operate a small business? WHY!?
My Dw has owned a catering business, that was fairly simple.

She has also done a laundry service, which worked out really well for her.

We have been in a church denomination where the seminary urges seminary grad students to be window washers. Window washing can be a very simple business to start-up, it is also very mobile.

The OP wanted a business that would earn $20k/month.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:12 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
cocaine smuggling.

Significant downside risk, but low initial investment and high profit margins.
lol

Old 04-23-2017, 05:27 PM

205 posts, read 206,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
What you're looking for requires some major outside of the box thinking.. Buy a street sweeper and go to every strip mall in the area offering to clean their parking lots. Find apartment complexes that have 3rd and 4th floor walk up apartments, offer garbage removal from the door to the dumpster, get the management company in the loop to add it as part of the lease agreement. Get a big truck and trailer and go to farm auctions to pickup large farm equipment and sell it online, offer delivery of the item.

Having a standard retail brick and mortar type business is going to take a TON of time, and chances are you aren't going to make real money from it unless you have employees managing a few locations. My accountant told me the people she works with who make the most money the easiest in "small business" are the people who came up with weird ideas, ran with them and maybe only have 1 or 2 employees.

Ha HA HA ...I love this...because the supposition is that the "senior" parking lot sweepers who already have those clients in their foreseeable permanent portfolio won't try to sabotage your equipment and your business as you naively believe in "free market capitalism" as a street sweeper...Kudos Bro

Old 04-25-2017, 02:20 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,298,228 times
vending machine and atm distribution across town. Economy of scale so you would need lots of those accounts. Catering space in small office buildings is also profitable. You work office hours M-F and can enjoy evenings at home. With once location you won't net 20k though. Probably need 4 or 5.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:06 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post

OP is looking for $20,000 a month in income. Please let us know about all the 20 hour a week, low intensity suggestions you have that have a quarter million a year in profit. That is what OP is looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business