Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 04:20 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,219,645 times

Advertisements

I know they’ve been having a hard time with the pandemic but am just hoping this thread comforts me so I know it’s not just me. I’ve shipped 50+ things since last week and not one of them has the tracking updated. I’ve already had 2 customers mention it. It’s making me a little anxious. So far I’ve still had 50+ customers who haven’t said a word but if USPS is still behind on things I might have to be send out a lot of emails to calm people down. When USPS is behind or at fault for something my customers never check with shipping first. They come to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2020, 06:22 PM

324 posts, read 271,575 times
Unfortunately they can I only move a set number of packages a day. They are prioritizing (I goofed that spelling) essential items such as meds. Everything else is put in as there's room. Fedex and UPS are doing the same thing. They van only handle so much volume and apparently (from my friends still at Fedex) the numers are HIGHER than Christmas season peak.

There's not enough man power...and alot of people won't do the back breaking labor involved with delivery.

Old 04-13-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Unicorn View Post
Unfortunately they can I only move a set number of packages a day. They are prioritizing (I goofed that spelling) essential items such as meds. Everything else is put in as there's room. Fedex and UPS are doing the same thing. They van only handle so much volume and apparently (from my friends still at Fedex) the numers are HIGHER than Christmas season peak.

There's not enough man power...and alot of people won't do the back breaking labor involved with delivery.
Does that apply to mailbox items too? I ship mostly lightweight items that can go in the mailbox. You’d think they’d at least scan things that they pick up from mailboxes even if they may have to cast them aside for a while to work on other shipments.

Old 04-13-2020, 07:03 PM

31,932 posts, read 27,038,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
I know they’ve been having a hard time with the pandemic but am just hoping this thread comforts me so I know it’s not just me. I’ve shipped 50+ things since last week and not one of them has the tracking updated. I’ve already had 2 customers mention it. It’s making me a little anxious. So far I’ve still had 50+ customers who haven’t said a word but if USPS is still behind on things I might have to be send out a lot of emails to calm people down. When USPS is behind or at fault for something my customers never check with shipping first. They come to me.
You're not alone......

Sent a few packages out last week. Took them to PO early in AM and that was it; never scanned at intake, didn't show tracking information for two days later and even then showed "accepted" one day after dropped off. Not another update or any other tracking information until delivered three days after expected Priority Mail due date.

System also didn't generate any sort of email notices for acceptance, tracking, nor delivery.

Old 04-13-2020, 08:42 PM

9,872 posts, read 7,753,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Unicorn View Post
How would they know what's in the packages?

This isn't like Amazon where they actually control what is packaged and loaded on the trucks.

Old 04-13-2020, 11:31 PM

13,133 posts, read 21,027,138 times
There are delays due to the limited air movements and the emergency supply (special identifications) priority. However, that has absolutely nothing to do with the scanning of tracked packages. If you are properly depositing the packages within a USPS receptacle approved for Priority or Express (not the corner blue mailbox) tracking mailings, it should be properly scanned in when picked up. There is no reason shipping delays or interruptions should result in missing tracking information. You need to make a friendly call to the Postmaster for the Post Office where the packages were mailed.

Old 04-13-2020, 11:52 PM

31,932 posts, read 27,038,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
There are delays due to the limited air movements and the emergency supply (special identifications) priority. However, that has absolutely nothing to do with the scanning of tracked packages. If you are properly depositing the packages within a USPS receptacle approved for Priority or Express (not the corner blue mailbox) tracking mailings, it should be properly scanned in when picked up. There is no reason shipping delays or interruptions should result in missing tracking information. You need to make a friendly call to the Postmaster for the Post Office where the packages were mailed.
Been there, and done that.

Response was that they were "very understaffed" due to covid-19 and thus there might be delays.

Old 04-14-2020, 05:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
They can only do so much and we are all ordering more on line or most of us anyway. My 2 day prime deliveries have taken 3 and 4 days lately.

Old 04-14-2020, 12:41 PM

13,133 posts, read 21,027,138 times
According to my local Postmaster, there should always be a minimum of 5 tracking notification updates for every tracked package going out of state.
1. The receiving post office should always be listed once it's handled by them.
2. For longer distance packages, there should always be a distribution/sort center update listed as it's automatic and not at the discretion of a person, packages comes in, goes through an automated scanner tracking system and should be updated.
3. At the end destination it's probably also handled by a large distribution/sort center and the same goes as far as it being an automated process.
4. At the delivery post office it should always be scanned into the system.
5. Upon delivery it should be updated with the delivery info.

She said those are the absolute minimums you should see (skip 2 & 3 if local) regardless of what's going on as they are automated systems. She agreed you may miss a receiving post office scan but you shouldn't be missing automated systems unless the label itself got damaged. Now, these are the ways for priority and express and may differ slightly for all other packages (tracked or not).

Old 04-14-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
According to my local Postmaster, there should always be a minimum of 5 tracking notification updates for every tracked package going out of state.
1. The receiving post office should always be listed once it's handled by them.
2. For longer distance packages, there should always be a distribution/sort center update listed as it's automatic and not at the discretion of a person, packages comes in, goes through an automated scanner tracking system and should be updated.
3. At the end destination it's probably also handled by a large distribution/sort center and the same goes as far as it being an automated process.
4. At the delivery post office it should always be scanned into the system.
5. Upon delivery it should be updated with the delivery info.

She said those are the absolute minimums you should see (skip 2 & 3 if local) regardless of what's going on as they are automated systems. She agreed you may miss a receiving post office scan but you shouldn't be missing automated systems unless the label itself got damaged. Now, these are the ways for priority and express and may differ slightly for all other packages (tracked or not).
I ship most of my items media mail so I’m not sure how much of that applies to me.

Also, at least one of my packages finally got scanned. It’s in NJ now. Usually it gets from MA to NJ in 1 or 2 days. This time it took 5. And it didn’t get scanned until it got to NJ. It doesn’t seem that bad but this is just 1 package. I still have a bunch that haven’t been scanned at all.

It’s nerve racking. I’m starting to see a lot of online sellers shut up shop temporarily. I’m going to avoid doing the same for now unless this becomes too much of an issue.

Also the big blue mailbox is our friend! It may not be as good as going to the post office and getting the labels scanned immediately, but it allows for social distancing. I’ve still had to go to the post office a few times to mail bigger packages and those places are still full with many customers not taking any precautions.

I guess mailing with the big blue mailbox you live by the sword and die by the sword. But it’s usually pretty reliable when there’s not a pandemic going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business