Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 07:47 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
-And you have to be aware of your time. That's whats valuable.
I think this is the most important thing you mentioned. I do a very good business online, to get to this point though I have worked 12 hr days, 7 days a week, for the last 4 years. I can tell you first hand about the amount of work a successful business takes to get off the ground, especially in the internet world where you can buy something today, and it'll be worthless tomorrow.. (and vice versa)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 09:45 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
Since Ebay has changed its bidding rules (all bidders are anonymous, they use initials now) I only use buy it now. I think there are some shenanigans going on to drive up the prices during bidding (shill bids).

Old 02-25-2010, 10:53 AM

2 posts, read 8,443 times
It isn't really a question about how to find stuff to sell on ebay but more of a question of finding items THAT actually sell. There are tons of people who have tried to sell items they bought wholesale on Ebay and end up with only a few clicks/views.

There is a trick that Power Sellers use to find the "Hot Items". "Hot Items" are those that get alot of views which therefore get alot of buys.The video that explains it is free and if you decide to purchase the software that cost $47. Well worth it considering I made more than that on the first item I sold.

There is a free video that shows you how this is done at How to find what sells on Ebay (http://www.offcost.com/ebay - broken link)

Old 08-27-2010, 04:29 PM

436 posts, read 907,984 times
The trick is finding what is hot and not getting stuck with a storage space full of stuff people have suddenly lost interest in. You have to be really good at reading trends to be successful.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:25 PM

25 posts, read 41,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I sell on craigslist no fees. Oh and you as a noob will not be able to sell anything on ebay because you have a 0 rating so you will have to buy a lot of those penny items to get a good rating.
And people can inspect your feedback and discover that all the items were penny items. That won't add much credibility, but I know what you are saying. It'll give you a higher feedback number, which will help if the buyer doesn't do his research.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTSIMMER View Post
The trick is finding what is hot and not getting stuck with a storage space full of stuff people have suddenly lost interest in. You have to be really good at reading trends to be successful.
I agree. This is the most important thing to realize. Know your market, customers and trends or find a niche market with little competition. This is much easier said than done.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I think this is the most important thing you mentioned. I do a very good business online, to get to this point though I have worked 12 hr days, 7 days a week, for the last 4 years. I can tell you first hand about the amount of work a successful business takes to get off the ground, especially in the internet world where you can buy something today, and it'll be worthless tomorrow.. (and vice versa)
I agree. It takes a lot of smarts and hard work to get to the place you want to be. Everyone wants to get rich quick or find some 'easy' trick. There are a lot more people who work 24/7 on eBay trying to make it, who are just treading water. The most important point is that you have to learn from your mistakes and 'adapt' to trends in the market. You cannot succeed by just working hard and not working smart.

Probably the hardest thing is buying items that are profitable enough to resell, and can be listed and shipped efficiently. Hoards of scams have sprung up over the years promoting work-at-home schemes, that don't work, preying on the naive and ignorant. Another problem is that shipping rates have been increasing, which limits the types of items that are practical to sell over eBay. Another issue is storage space. If you live in a place like Los Angeles, storage space is extremely expensive. It costs hundreds of dollars a month for a small storage locker and items can get damaged easily. So be sure to consider all these factors before jumping in.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:55 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Since Ebay has changed its bidding rules (all bidders are anonymous, they use initials now) I only use buy it now. I think there are some shenanigans going on to drive up the prices during bidding (shill bids).
I have felt that way too, but I know someone who worked for ebay and they do check computers of bidders. So that some shill bidders get caught.
I have a few relatives who make good livings from ebay. They deal in small, easily shippable items, and they have hundreds for sale at a time. It is a challenge to obtain enough product, and you must have the intestinal fortitude to lose money on some items, while making money on others.
They have also said that ebay has made it very hard for sellers recently.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:50 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,015,891 times
Ebay is now completely on the side of the buyers.

Last time I tried to sell something it was being bought and never paid for by the same person 4 times in a row... couldn't give them negative reputation because they never paid for it, their reputation was hidden, ebay didn't remove their account....

Haven't been on ebay for any reason since.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:22 AM

34 posts, read 67,180 times
you want to sell luxury goods for hogh prices at least in clothes. and they might take awhile to sell. but hey, you might make 2k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business