Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 11:21 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,101,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I sell on ebay but more as a hobby and supplemental income.

I try to provide reasonable service but will not bow down to customers with unusual demands. I've received negative/neutral feedback or filing of complaints on rare occasion because of this but have yet to receive any official sanctions.
if your just sellign here and there i agree with your sentiment of not playing into lowlifes games and feedback extortion. if you wanna be a real player on ebay and be a top seller / powerrated seller you'll realize its well worth taking small losses and blocking idiots as you save much more in the longrun on better ranking in searches, discounts on fvf fees and shipping, etc.

i probably lose a few hundred bucks a month to nonsense but i do over 200k in sales every month so its a drop i the bucket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I find eBay's commission to be extremely low. I sell regularly and their commission rates are 10-16% roughly.

What are the commission rates you're getting from local auction houses? Around here, we've always had rates 25-50% depending on the item. And even then, the reach isn't nearly of what eBay is able to provide.
they are far from low, im gonna pay ebay over 30k this year. that said nowhere else can you find as many buyers as you can on ebay and like you said auction houses and resale shops are going to charge you more, granted thats a more full service experience than ebay but i dont complain too much about fees forthe reason you said

Old 11-14-2013, 05:18 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Just spent $26.22 on ebay and paypal fees for an item that sold for $122.50 .

It kind of sucks they charge a final value fee on the shipping too. It makes it hard to make a profit when so much goes to fees.

On the other hand it's true what others say..it's hard to find another marketplace similar..

Old 11-15-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Just spent $26.22 on ebay and paypal fees for an item that sold for $122.50 .

It kind of sucks they charge a final value fee on the shipping too. It makes it hard to make a profit when so much goes to fees.

On the other hand it's true what others say..it's hard to find another marketplace similar..
yeah it sucks when your selling personal items. if your reselling stuff you just need to make sure your margins can cover the fees. on personal stuff it kinda sucks but whats the alterantive selling on cl and getting low balled and winding up taking $30 less which you lost $4 more than ebay. cost of doing business i guess

Old 11-15-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
yeah it sucks when your selling personal items. if your reselling stuff you just need to make sure your margins can cover the fees. on personal stuff it kinda sucks but whats the alterantive selling on cl and getting low balled and winding up taking $30 less which you lost $4 more than ebay. cost of doing business i guess
True, plus with CL you need to meet in person..which is somewhat of an added risk and hassle.

It is kind of crazy that we only have eBAY and CL as real contenders for selling stuff.

There's amazon too..but that's a bit different .

Reselling for profit seems difficult as your margins need to be really big... I guess it just depends what price you are buying stuff for.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
True, plus with CL you need to meet in person..which is somewhat of an added risk and hassle.

It is kind of crazy that we only have eBAY and CL as real contenders for selling stuff.

There's amazon too..but that's a bit different .

Reselling for profit seems difficult as your margins need to be really big... I guess it just depends what price you are buying stuff for.
yeah i always wished a competitor would come out to ebay. sure there are a few like ubid and stuff but none have really taken off and gotten a big userbase. i think what helps ebay is ebay and paypal are essentially the same company, nobody has as trusted a rep as paypal for buying, they heavily favor buyers. as for ebay you really gotta have a great niche, it also seems that ebay favors the big time sellers as opposed to the guy selling stuff out his basement

Old 11-15-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
yeah i always wished a competitor would come out to ebay. sure there are a few like ubid and stuff but none have really taken off and gotten a big userbase. i think what helps ebay is ebay and paypal are essentially the same company, nobody has as trusted a rep as paypal for buying, they heavily favor buyers. as for ebay you really gotta have a great niche, it also seems that ebay favors the big time sellers as opposed to the guy selling stuff out his basement
Yeah that's true..and it looks like powersellers get 20% discount and other benefits.

I was kind of disappointed in my sales prices but I was selling items in bulk versus individually. I am pretty sure I could of made more selling individually..but thats always more hassle, more things to package, ship..and more buyers to deal with..

Im also wondering if it could be the season too...people saving money for XMAS,etc.

These are used items so prob wouldnt be given as gifts.. o

Old 12-10-2013, 12:20 AM

5 posts, read 8,295 times
Yes many people are earning from ebay i also has to work on ebay there is possibility for you also to earn money from ebay.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:32 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,849 times
You can make money on eBay - but - you can only make a certain amount. They (the eBay PTB) have started initiating seller limits, and "throttling" the sales of sellers who appear to be reaching that limit.

Several Top-Rated-Sellers (the current version of Powersellers) have been shut down despite their excellent record and consistent sales. They have managed to be reinstated, but only after a week of phone calls trying to get a CS person or supervisor with any kind of authority to do something.

You really can't scale your business past a certain point on eBay. Some of the larger sellers who have reached their plateau are going elsewhere (Amazon, their own website, etc) in order to continue growing. It's too bad. But it's a strong argument against putting all your eggs in one basket.

Source: Do You Know Your eBay Selling Limits?

And: eBay Sellers Fly Blind Due to Hidden Selling Limits

A seller's story: MC999 Indefinite selling restriction - The eBay Community this seller has since been reinstated.

This seller has not: MC999 eBay Indefinite selling restriction ?? - The eBay Community

While some sellers have horrible records and do need to go, there are many excellent sellers that are being 'fired' without cause. It appears that 'name brand' sellers are the ones getting purged. General seller-opinion seems to be that ebay is making way for the actual Brand/company (Ray-Ban, Coach, etc) to set up a shop on ebay. And just pitching out the long-time sellers who would be competing, without so much as an explanation of why, or any recourse to appeal.

These are sellers who have spent thousands of dollars in merchandise, have employees, usually have a separate business building, and - for them - ebay is a full time job. It's heartbreaking to read some of the stories.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchoNan View Post
You can make money on eBay - but - you can only make a certain amount. They (the eBay PTB) have started initiating seller limits, and "throttling" the sales of sellers who appear to be reaching that limit.

Several Top-Rated-Sellers (the current version of Powersellers) have been shut down despite their excellent record and consistent sales. They have managed to be reinstated, but only after a week of phone calls trying to get a CS person or supervisor with any kind of authority to do something.

You really can't scale your business past a certain point on eBay. Some of the larger sellers who have reached their plateau are going elsewhere (Amazon, their own website, etc) in order to continue growing. It's too bad. But it's a strong argument against putting all your eggs in one basket.

Source: Do You Know Your eBay Selling Limits?

And: eBay Sellers Fly Blind Due to Hidden Selling Limits

A seller's story: MC999 Indefinite selling restriction - The eBay Community this seller has since been reinstated.

This seller has not: MC999 eBay Indefinite selling restriction ?? - The eBay Community

While some sellers have horrible records and do need to go, there are many excellent sellers that are being 'fired' without cause. It appears that 'name brand' sellers are the ones getting purged. General seller-opinion seems to be that ebay is making way for the actual Brand/company (Ray-Ban, Coach, etc) to set up a shop on ebay. And just pitching out the long-time sellers who would be competing, without so much as an explanation of why, or any recourse to appeal.

These are sellers who have spent thousands of dollars in merchandise, have employees, usually have a separate business building, and - for them - ebay is a full time job. It's heartbreaking to read some of the stories.
I didn't take the time to read the stories you posted but obviously that's only one side of the story. The problem with ebay businesses is that your busienss is depeendent on a third party who you have no control over. If you have your own website you contrl your own destiny. With ebay any policy changes or anything can destroy your business. They recently clamped down on my category andlimited how much i can list but im still doing over 250k a month in sales. paypal is the bigger problem with the rolling reservces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business