Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 06:40 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,354,023 times

Advertisements

Ah, my one of my best ever eBay sales was for BMW motorcycle tank bags. My Chinese wife was able to source a few and had her mom mail them to us for about $75 each. They were OEM and the same ones you buy at a dealer for $300. I sold them for around $225 each. I'm going to China again for Xmas and hope to do some scouting around for a supplier of something I can flip on eBay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 12:34 AM

2 posts, read 7,089 times
may i know what is Ebay?

Old 10-09-2008, 01:14 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,367,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
Ah, my one of my best ever eBay sales was for BMW motorcycle tank bags. My Chinese wife was able to source a few and had her mom mail them to us for about $75 each. They were OEM and the same ones you buy at a dealer for $300. I sold them for around $225 each. I'm going to China again for Xmas and hope to do some scouting around for a supplier of something I can flip on eBay.
Yeah, I see this a fair amount. If you get a pack 10, 50, or 100, etc... from overseas vendors then you can sell them below retail, but still make a profit. I've gotten small LCD's and a car MP3 player, both were from these kind of sellers.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:35 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,826 times
The hottest item on eBay always has been and remains, books. Movies also move quickly. Many jewelry items are shipped direct from China and it's tough to beat prices against China.

Pawn shops of the world use eBay to get rid of things that would otherwise just linger in their stores.

Self-employed people turn to eBay when their in-store sales droop. That's where they get new with tags items, from their own inventory. Some physical stores have an "all sales final" approach and if something doesn't fit, the option is to sell it on eBay or aqt a garage sale.

Yes, people can make money on eBay, but it takes a winning product, a great price, a deal on shipping and knowledge of the item.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:28 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times
Unfortunately after dealing with the crooks that live and thrive on ebay and having run into their utter lack of enforcement of rules and to top that off their "partner" paypal's lack of standing behind their payment refund policy I can't reccommend ebay to anyone.
I know there's good people on there but with little to no oversight, the ability of a shady seller (or buyer for that matter) to destroy you with an unfounded negative it's not worth the supposed savings.
The one upside if you're looking to make money is people will buy dirt/dust on ebay.
I've never in my life seen a place where you can sell dog poo shaped like Margaret Thatcher and expect and get top $$$.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:24 AM

2 posts, read 10,315 times
may be you can reference www.xsport4u.com

Old 10-15-2008, 10:45 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,997,080 times
I sold on Ebay from 2004 to early 2007. But, it got to be too competitive. Everything I could sell, 50 other people were selling the same exact thing. Then you add the increasing fees and cost to ship and it just got to be too much.

I agree with the above, you are a little late to the party. I think it would be extremely difficult to start as a new member and make lots of money now.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:47 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,997,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
The hottest item on eBay always has been and remains, books. Movies also move quickly. Many jewelry items are shipped direct from China and it's tough to beat prices against China.

Pawn shops of the world use eBay to get rid of things that would otherwise just linger in their stores.

Self-employed people turn to eBay when their in-store sales droop. That's where they get new with tags items, from their own inventory. Some physical stores have an "all sales final" approach and if something doesn't fit, the option is to sell it on eBay or aqt a garage sale.

Yes, people can make money on eBay, but it takes a winning product, a great price, a deal on shipping and knowledge of the item.

I made a few grand selling books on Ebay. I bought a few thousand overstock/discontinued books from Borders in an auction and sold them for about two years. It's very profitable but it is also very hardwork packaging and shipping each book. It would take hours to do that.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:51 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetar10 View Post
I keep hearing about people making lots of money on ebay, but where do the people get the items they sell. I see lots of people sell lots of clothes, new and used, but where do they get the clothes to sell?
also, do you have to pay taxes on money made on ebay? must it be claimed as income, or how does that work?
People make money on ebay by lying, basically.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:04 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,552,445 times
I've sold some items on Ebay. Mostly stuff from my own house. I've sold jewelry, clothes, computer parts, knick knacks, etc. It was a way to clean house and still make a buck. I've sold a couple of things that netted much more money than I ever expected, but those items were very collectable. I have a neighbor who is doing really well on Ebay right know. He has found that Legos are very profitable. He goes to thrift shops and flea markets and buys old Legos. He also buys Tupperware that he is amazed that he sells it at almost retail. He is a stay-at-home dad which makes the whole shipping process easier for him. I always hated the packing and shipping.

I don't have the motivation to do much on Ebay now, but when I do, it is going to be my daughter's jeans that she no longer wears. I've always had good luck with her stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business