Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 02:17 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,301,562 times

Advertisements

People should be a lot more worried that politicians think the government has a right to customer lists, and in some cases, what their customers are purchasing.

I think larger states, like California, aren't losing much if you take into consideration the amount of goods purchased online from out of state customers. There are a lot of online retailers based in California that employ people, and both the businesses and their employees are contributing revenue that otherwise wouldn't be available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 02:59 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,949,894 times
looks like I better start moving some of my wish list items into the shopping cart before this happens.

I was foolish enough not to have considered online shopping until just recently, but for items over $100, and a few under, the first place I look is Amazon.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:06 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,949,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
People should be a lot more worried that politicians think the government has a right to customer lists, and in some cases, what their customers are purchasing.
The customer list is the scariest part! It's disgusting how monstrous government has become, that they're at the point of violating their citizens' privacy in order to collect more tax revenue to keep operating.

I've been spending a lot of discretionary income lately; that will change drastically if CA passes an Amazon tax, and it'll all be the state legislature's fault.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:13 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
I wonder if they were able to push the tax related tracking on vendors - won't the vendors need your SSN to track it?

Yet another risk to ID theft to have Amazon or anyone else keep your SSN so they can tell your home state how much you bought.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:25 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,461,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I wonder if they were able to push the tax related tracking on vendors - won't the vendors need your SSN to track it?

Yet another risk to ID theft to have Amazon or anyone else keep your SSN so they can tell your home state how much you bought.
Ultimately, we'll probably wind up with a federal sales tax collection agency that collects tax from vendors across the country and forwards it (minus a processing fee of course) to the appropriate state. Then once the machinery is set up and running, the feds will tack on a little bit for themselves, say 0.25% at first, but that number is sure to rise quickly. When the feds get strapped for cash, they can drag their feet or outright change the formula for sending the states their money, like like California does to its counties and cities now.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:08 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Oh come on guys. Let's not pretend to be so outraged. California is the largest single market in the country and just the sheer number of people assures us that it will remain an irresistable target for all but the smallest/weakest/laziest of businesses. Same for all of you who are threatening to flee. Most of the folks that really meant it have already done so. For every one that leaves, there are three who want to come in. Sunshine, diversity, and tasty fish tacos will trump the "outrage" (which seldom goes beyond typing on message forums) every time. The state knows it. And deep down inside, you do too. So you have to pay a bit of extra admission and jump through some hoops to do it. Oh well. Given the population density here and how many potential people will see one advertisement will pretty much assure us that for all the saber rattling, most businesses aren't going anywhere. Why concentrate on (for example) Wyoming-where it would take twenty five billboard advertisements to reach half a million people when doing business here in CA can mean just one to reach triple that size (and potential customer base)? So the cost of doing business here is a bit higher than elsewhere. It's still probably a net gain given the sheer number of people. Again. If CA was really that bad and unprofitable, everyone would have already left. But I can still find a Target every three miles, a Starbucks on every corner, and every freeway and highway in the state is choking on big rig trucks hauling freight somewhere. Looks ok to me.
It's already happened... for my business, many supplies used are no longer available for sale in CA... they can be bought anywhere else, but, not CA.

Everything from power saws foresters use, paints, solvents, lubricants, etc...

Sometimes there is no good replacement and sometimes, the manufacturer simply says the cost of changing a product to meet CA standards is not worth it...

CA has paid dearly for it too... remember when CA first change the paint going and new cars... the paint didn't last and a new phenomena, peeling paint started...

Part of the problem is CA has the attitude it can do whatever it wants and others will accommodate... well, it's not always the case

Old 07-15-2010, 09:54 PM

286 posts, read 535,601 times
-We're the big illegal immigration-welfare state. We have to find new ways to support those who take advantage of the taxpayer.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:37 PM

473 posts, read 1,328,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
I was foolish enough not to have considered online shopping until just recently, but for items over $100, and a few under, the first place I look is Amazon.
I've been using it for a whole lot more than items over $100. Amazon has a program called 'Amazon Prime' where you pay an annual fee ($75) and you get free two-day shipping on every product shipped from Amazon (and overnight shipping for only $2.99). At first I signed up for this just to do holiday shopping... but since then I've noticed the incredible number of household items on Amazon, usually cheaper than at my local store. It's gotten to the point that 80-90% of all non-perishable goods I end up buying through Amazon. Need a can of Comet to scrub the sink? One click, and it's at my door in two days with free shipping and cheaper than my local Safeway. Need batteries? Shampoo? Socks? A basketball? It's all on Amazon and cheap. There is even quite a bit of food there. You can buy all those PowerBars, ClifBars, etc on Amazon for a fraction of the price of your local store. Same with anything that comes in a jar, box, or can - most of it is there and cheaper. The Amazon Prime is the Best. Thing. Ever.

This is just a glimpse of the future, as I predict more and more people will start to shop this way in the next few years. These efforts to "protect local businesses from the internet" are simply backwards attempts to keep outdated business models alive.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:49 AM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
This is just a glimpse of the future, as I predict more and more people will start to shop this way in the next few years. These efforts to "protect local businesses from the internet" are simply backwards attempts to keep outdated business models alive.
I could not agree more!!!
I'm always baffled by attempts to take new ideas and technologies and try to shoehorn them into an old methodology instead of jumping on it and being first in line to take advantage of it. I guess with some things like Amazon they have such a huge head start it's hard for the slow little guy to keep up, so we create new laws and regulations to "protect" things that are quickly becoming unnecessary.
This always brings to mind the music industry once file sharing became possible. I kept telling people that their way of doing business was going to have to change but then the RIAA came along and tried to sue everyone into submission. I just read today that between 2006 and 2008, the RIAA spent $64 million to get back $1.36 million. Pfft.
It's like trying to "protect" the horse and buggy business after cars came along. NOT.GOING.TO.HAPPEN.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:44 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,031,991 times
Shipping charges online do add up. If i buy one cd from amazon im charged 2.98 to ship. I have found thrift stores & pawn shops that carry alot of good cds for around $3.00 plus tax. I like greatest hits & various artists cds. Classic Rock, pop & country are my favorites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California