Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:50 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Last week a local radio talk host, Dr Laura Schellinger on KFWB went out in orbit and used a racial slur repeated [saying the "n" word several times]. Dr Laura is syndicated and heard across the nation. Her program is basically giving people psychological advice. But after her huge mistake, the local radio station came under considerable pressure to do something even though Dr. Laura apologize repeatedly. This evening on Larry King's show\ CNN, Dr. Laura announced that she is resigning. Racism can be very costly; it probably is no surprise that Dr Laura is a Republican.

Really? Growing up in a primarily Latino neighborhood I heard the n-word used all the time. I still hear it when frequenting Latino functions and places of business. Most Hispanics have a closet racist policy against Blacks and they are rabid Democrats. The reason Hispanics get away with it in public is because they use the Latin form of the word Negro and speak only spanish when degrading Black people. I hear a litany of racial slurs about black people all day long on the construction site from Latinos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 11:56 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Really? Growing up in a primarily Latino neighborhood I heard the n-word used all the time. I still hear it when frequenting Latino functions and places of business. Most Hispanics have a closet racist policy against Blacks and they are rabid Democrats. The reason Hispanics get away with it in public is because they use the Latin form of the word Negro and speak only spanish when degrading Black people. I hear a litany of racial slurs about black people all day long on the construction site from Latinos.
This almost deserves it's own thread, interesting

Old 08-18-2010, 12:52 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
No doubt about it; some Latinos are racists also. In Puerto Rico many people are a mixture of Spanish and African ancestry yet have words for black or negro that could offend some people. And in California there have been racial tensions between the two groups especially in areas where Latinos have moved into historically black neighborhoods; this is particularly evident in South Los Angeles.

Yet when it came down to voting for President Obama, Latinos overwhelmingly voted for a Black man while areas in the South with huge white Republican populations voted against Obama in numbers way out of proportion to other regions of the U.S.

Bill Maher has raised the issue of racism in the Republican party several times and made the comment that not all Republicans are racists but racists are Republican more or less and I think most people would agree.

But this topic should be in another thread since it is not really related to Dr. Laura

Old 08-18-2010, 01:02 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
She went on Larry King and announced she was resigning. She said she is because she wants her 1st amendment right back.

YouTube - Dr Laura quits radio - short version

Old 08-18-2010, 01:23 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
She went on Larry King and announced she was resigning. She said she is because she wants her 1st amendment right back.

YouTube - Dr Laura quits radio - short version
Good luck to her, if she expects to find a media outlet that will allow her to spew whatever pops out of her brain, and then pay her for it. This isn't a 1st Amendment issue- Dr Laura is free to say whatever she wants on her own time. She can stroll aound L.A. all day weaing a sandwich board with "******" plastered all over it, if she wants to assert her rights so bad (wouldn't recommend it, though ) While she's being employed, she is subject to rules and regs like anyone else. Blaming the NAACP for her trouble is crapola. She lost controll of her temper on the air (not for the first time!), and is now paying the price.

Like I said, just another example of someone who hung around too long, and finally tripped up once too often.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:47 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
No doubt about it; some Latinos are racists also. In Puerto Rico many people are a mixture of Spanish and African ancestry yet have words for black or negro that could offend some people. And in California there have been racial tensions between the two groups especially in areas where Latinos have moved into historically black neighborhoods; this is particularly evident in South Los Angeles.

Yet when it came down to voting for President Obama, Latinos overwhelmingly voted for a Black man while areas in the South with huge white Republican populations voted against Obama in numbers way out of proportion to other regions of the U.S.

Bill Maher has raised the issue of racism in the Republican party several times and made the comment that not all Republicans are racists but racists are Republican more or less and I think most people would agree.

But this topic should be in another thread since it is not really related to Dr. Laura
This whole thread should be in the Politics and Controversy thread and not in the CALIFORNIA thread as it relates to the entire nation. Oh wait there already is one in P&C. You opened up this can of worms when you related Laura's comments as par for the course for most racists being Republican.

I think most would agree that Democrats are just as likely to be racist as Republicans. Bill Maher is a sock puppet whose comments are idiotic at best.

I agree this thread needs to be merged with the one in P/C or closed.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
every time a black star uses the n word he gets reprimanded. everytime a white star uses the N word he gets canned.
when i was a kid in new orleans if a black man said something wrong they treated him really bad, they hurt him. now its reversed. . the idea was to make it better not switch places. i have a dream.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 08-18-2010 at 02:01 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 01:52 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
Why can't Rush Limbaugh quit? That would be the best day ever

Old 08-18-2010, 01:55 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
I'm not suggesting anything other than you and others tend to be quick to jump on one party but let members of the other party off the hook. Again you aren't quick to start threads about comments from Dems. Don't want to make Democrats look bad? Both major parties have a wide variety of people (and viewpoints). There are some Blue Dog Dems who need watching too.

Instead of racism can we call your actions politicism?

Next, a "Southern Strategy" can also be used to describe strategies used by Democrats, it is not just in the GOP. Hillary was accused by some of attempting it against Obama in their primary race.

It can also be considered an attempt to appeal to ethnic votes. Look up the quote attributed to Lyndon Johnson in Kessler's book.

When either party injects race into the discussion they are appealing to fear and misunderstanding between groups. Appealing to minorities by demonizing whites (or appealing to the poor by demonizing the rich, the young by demonizing the old, men vs. women, etc) is still a form of "Southern Strategy".

It is still either party using fear and hate. It is a divide and conquer strategy used by politicians of both parties (not just one) to try to gain votes and power.

And Nixon? LOL digging up 40 year old history? Does that mean we get to also talk about Democrats like George Wallace from back then too?
Fresno, I agree 100% with your comments on racism in politics. It is all about power, and neither party is above using race as a lever to get it.

You're wrong to mock bringing up history, though. An understanding of what happened, and how we got here, is crucial to figuring out a way to move forward. It's about putting things in context. Part of the problem in the US is we all have ADHD when it comes to this stuff. Makes us susceptible to being led around by the nose by politicians (who, trust me, DO study history!)

For the record, Wallace, like so many other Southern Dems, quit the party in disgust over the Northern Dems (and moderate Republicans) passing the Civil Rights Act in 1964. So trying to tar the Dems by lumping Ol' George in with them is either a mistake (assuming you don't know the historical context), or dishonest (assuming you do).

Old 08-18-2010, 01:56 PM

514 posts, read 686,858 times
Quote:
I think most would agree that Democrats are just as likely to be racist as Republicans
White Republican racism in its modern form dates from 1964, before that, good solid racism was Democrat, southern democrat. But, the Republican party invited the southern Democrats to become Republican and they would all work together to stop integration.

Racist Southern Democrats left the Democratic party in masse and joined the Republican party. While nearly anyone can be a racist members of the various neo nazi, white supremacist groups like stormfront, or the modern KKK or the tea baggers few of them are Democrats.

While Doctor Laura's comments may reflect reality, that word is a word that needs to drop off the lexicon, her use of it, did not further the progress of humanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California