Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 11:11 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Sometimes east winds push the tule fog thru the Carquinez Strait and into the Bay area.
No it doesn't. If you mean the delta area, that fog is part of the valley fog. An east wind up there dries everything out just like it does here.

Quote:
Seattle has more rain days than most cities in the entire nation
No it doesn't. It receives less rainfall than every city in the south and east coast.

Quote:
San Jose and Los Angeles really aren't that different climatically. Average winter max temps in San Jose average between 59-63F and 41-45F minimums. Los Angeles averages between 68-70F and 48-50F day & night temps. In summer San Jose is between 82-84F during the day & 55-58 at night; Los Angeles averages 80-85F maximums and 61-66F minimums.
Yep, you are so right about this. SJ is rather arid and is very LA like in climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Right now I am not going to take time to read all the replys, but I would say it is just the opposite. I find people in the bay area very friendly.

Nita
More common ground for us to agree on nita

Old 08-22-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Nice post. It makes sense. There are many times in San Jose where it can be overcast but dry, while just 45 miles north in SF or Berkeley, it can be raining. Also the Santa Cruz mountains help keep San Jose dry due to rain shadow effect. So a lot of rain dumps on the Coast, while San Jose stays dry.

It is pretty interesting. If you are in San Jose and look westward toward the Santa Cruz mountains, they are full of trees and green all year. While the Diablo Range which flanks the east side of the city look like the Santa Susana Mtn's in LA... dry!
And this effect is very pronounced! San Jose get's something like 13 inches of rain. Boulder Creek, 30 miles to the southwest gets nearly 60 inches! Seattle by comparison gets 37. As Cal Sur said however, it's the number of days that can also make a difference.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Ironically, the California deserts, especially the Sonoran pick up half their annual rainfall during summer when monsoon thunderstorms move up into California from Mexico or Arizona. Winter storms are greatly hampered by the high San Gabriel and San Bernardino mountains. But moist humid air from the Gulf of California can enter the low deserts on favorable winds in summer. Once I was on Highway 111 driving south toward Indio when a torrential thunderstorm hit; we turned around and went back to Palm Springs before the CHP closed the highway for flash flooding. The next day the news showed cars that had mud up to the car windows and several people nearly drowned.
Exactly!

Old 08-23-2010, 09:57 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
No it doesn't. If you mean the delta area, that fog is part of the valley fog. An east wind up there dries everything out just like it does here.

No it doesn't. It receives less rainfall than every city in the south and east coast.

Yep, you are so right about this. SJ is rather arid and is very LA like in climate.
How do you explain tule fog moving from the Central Valley into the Bay Area? The delta narrows thru the Carquinez strait before the Sacramento River empties into San Pablo bay. The fog moves westward on light winds during winter and can fill the entire Bay all the way into the Santa Clara valley. I suppose tule fog can also move into the Livermore valley and San Ramon valley and then into the Bay Area but it is a low fog and must find the lowest point to tranverse.

The higher mountains between the San Joaquin and Salinas valleys and no low passes mean that the Monterey bay\ Salinas valley\ San Luis Obispo\ Morro bay are often quite sunny while the Bay Area is socked in with fog from the Central valley at times during winter.

And, of-course, there is no way tule fog can cross the Tehachapi mountains into Southern California

You seem to have missed my point about Seattle. The total amount of rainfall is different than the total number of rainy days. Averaging around 37 inches, Seattle gets less total rainfall than many cites on the East Coast, but the actual number of days in which there is some rainfall is very high. The Pacific Northwest has a very damp marine climate for about 8 months when storms move ashore frequently and the airmass can remain moist for days after storms depart. So Seattle and Portland observe many days of clouds and light rainfall even though the actual rain accumulation may be quite minimal.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:03 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Massive cultural differences btwn LA's Westside and rest of LA/OC region

Massive cultural diffces btwn SV's Woodside/Atherton vs communist PaloAlto and SF's PacHts, let alone rest of SF region, like the economically irrelevant EastBay/Marin wastelands

Much varies by industry in which one works

And most of wealthiest in either PaloAlto or BH area aren't originally from CA, but grew up in middle-income suburbia somewhere else and attended some "elite" college like Stanford or Wharton and figured out how to move upwards quickly

Amusingly, capitalist engineering students at Stanford tend to look down on the retarded, communist lib arts kids at Stanford (or any other lib arts college)...sadly, many of those lib arts kids are unemployed these days and live in their parents' basements post-$250K college diplomas...
Do you just copy and paste the exact same pointless post over and over and over?

Old 08-23-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
How do you explain tule fog moving from the Central Valley into the Bay Area?
I don't explain it, you did. Having lived there, I know that the fog we get around the bay is caused by a different weather phenomena, but what would a person who's lived there for half their life know over some one who's visited?

Quote:
The delta narrows thru the Carquinez strait before the Sacramento River empties into San Pablo bay. The fog moves westward on light winds during winter and can fill the entire Bay all the way into the Santa Clara valley
Are you just looking at a map and guessing? I know the geography but thanks. Everyone in the Bay Area knows that the fog pattern is reversed in winter, the valley being foggy and the bay being sunnier when it's not raining.
Quote:
suppose tule fog can also move into the Livermore valley and San Ramon valley and then into the Bay Area but it is a low fog and must find the lowest point to tranverse.
Those valleys form their own fog in the same way as the central valley and no, it does not spill over into the bay.
Quote:
The higher mountains between the San Joaquin and Salinas valleys and no low passes mean that the Monterey bay\ Salinas valley\ San Luis Obispo\ Morro bay are often quite sunny while the Bay Area is socked in with fog from the Central valley at times during winter.
I cannot speak for Monterey of Salinas (having never lived there, get the idea?) but the Bay IS NOT socked in with fog in the winter. Who told you that?
Quote:
You seem to have missed my point about Seattle. The total amount of rainfall is different than the total number of rainy days. Averaging around 37 inches, Seattle gets less total rainfall than many cites on the East Coast, but the actual number of days in which there is some rainfall is very high.
I did miss your point on this. After reading this, you're right I agree. Seattle does have a higher number of wet days.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I don't explain it, you did. Having lived there, I know that the fog we get around the bay is caused by a different weather phenomena, but what would a person who's lived there for half their life know over some one who's visited?

Are you just looking at a map and guessing? I know the geography but thanks. Everyone in the Bay Area knows that the fog pattern is reversed in winter, the valley being foggy and the bay being sunnier when it's not raining.
Those valleys form their own fog in the same way as the central valley and no, it does not spill over into the bay.
I cannot speak for Monterey of Salinas (having never lived there, get the idea?) but the Bay IS NOT socked in with fog in the winter. Who told you that?
I did miss your point on this. After reading this, you're right I agree. Seattle does have a higher number of wet days.
A person doesn't have to live in a certain area to understand it's climate. A little reading goes a long way in providing information. I read a lot. But in the case of "tule" fog, I am well acquainted with its formation during winter. Almost every Thanksgiving day we have driven up to Los Molinos [near Chico] to visit relatives and fog is not uncommon. Sometimes we have driven west out of the Central Valley and into the Bay Area on the way back to Los Angeles. I have personally seen tule fog moving westward in the delta\ Carquinez Strait and out over the Bay.

I wrote that the tule fog drifts into the Bay Area on east winds. You responded with this:

Quote:
Gentoo No it doesn't. If you mean the delta area, that fog is part of the valley fog. An east wind up there dries everything out just like it does here.

"In California, tule fog can extend from Bakersfield to Red Bluff. Tule fog occasionally drifts as far west as the San Francisco Bay Area, even drifting westward out the Golden Gate, opposite to the usual course of summertime ocean fog".
Tule fog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"When the inversion is accentuated, thick tule fog forms and flows toward the coast through San Francisco Bay".
Tule Fog — Bay Nature Institute

"Sometimes if there is a light offshore flow during a tule fog event, dense fog can drift seaward through the Carquinez Strait and move across the bay to San Francisco and Marin, as well as south to SFO and even as far as the southern end of the bay. Radiation fog events are most likely in December and January and can persist for a week or longer in the Central Valley and around the Delta, but for no more than a few days at a time around San Francisco Bay".
http://www.sfmx.org/support/amsc/arc...isco%20Bay.pdf

Old 08-23-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
A person doesn't have to live in a certain area to understand it's climate. A little reading goes a long way in providing information. I read a lot. But in the case of "tule" fog, I am well acquainted with its formation during winter. Almost every Thanksgiving day we have driven up to Los Molinos [near Chico] to visit relatives and fog is not uncommon. Sometimes we have driven west out of the Central Valley and into the Bay Area on the way back to Los Angeles. I have personally seen tule fog moving westward in the delta\ Carquinez Strait and out over the Bay.

I wrote that the tule fog drifts into the Bay Area on east winds. You responded with this:

"In California, tule fog can extend from Bakersfield to Red Bluff. Tule fog occasionally drifts as far west as the San Francisco Bay Area, even drifting westward out the Golden Gate, opposite to the usual course of summertime ocean fog".
Tule fog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"When the inversion is accentuated, thick tule fog forms and flows toward the coast through San Francisco Bay".
Tule Fog — Bay Nature Institute

"Sometimes if there is a light offshore flow during a tule fog event, dense fog can drift seaward through the Carquinez Strait and move across the bay to San Francisco and Marin, as well as south to SFO and even as far as the southern end of the bay. Radiation fog events are most likely in December and January and can persist for a week or longer in the Central Valley and around the Delta, but for no more than a few days at a time around San Francisco Bay".
http://www.sfmx.org/support/amsc/arc...isco%20Bay.pdf
Ok, that does happen, sometimes but it's not something that should be expected and perhaps I've mistaken you but that's how you made it sound. (it's also possible that it very rarely makes it to the parts of Berkeley and Oakland where I lived)

However, I also admit that one does not have to live in a certain area to understand how the weather works. Dense tule fog can happen in the bay region but it's really not a very common thing. You can go two to three years without seeing it at all.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Ok, that does happen, sometimes but it's not something that should be expected and perhaps I've mistaken you but that's how you made it sound. (it's also possible that it very rarely makes it to the parts of Berkeley and Oakland where I lived)

However, I also admit that one does not have to live in a certain area to understand how the weather works. Dense tule fog can happen in the bay region but it's really not a very common thing. You can go two to three years without seeing it at all.
I never wrote that tule fog was commonplace in the Bay Area; that's not how I made it "sound". Here's my first statement on tule fog:

Quote:
Right, the fog that forms in the Central Valley during winter stays there for the most part. Sometimes east winds push the tule fog thru the Carquinez Strait and into the Bay area.
You misread my statement as you have on other occasions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California