Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 01:16 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I never wrote that tule fog was commonplace in the Bay Area; that's not how I made it "sound". Here's my first statement on tule fog:

You misread my statement as you have on other occasions.
Judging by some of the reactions you sometimes get, I don't think I'm the only one who does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 01:21 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,393,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Judging by some of the reactions you sometimes get, I don't think I'm the only one who does.
I'm not sure what you mean. That people misunderstand or disagree? Several times in this discussion you wrote that I was "wrong" when, in-fact, you were wrong. I try not to accuse others of being wrong unless I have read up on the topic enough to be relatively sure that they are incorrect.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean. That people misunderstand or disagree? Several times in this discussion you wrote that I was "wrong" when, in-fact, you were wrong. I try not to accuse others of being wrong unless I have read up on the topic enough to be relatively sure that they are incorrect.
I don't recall actually using the phrase "you are wrong" or even using that word. I stated my point of view based on what I thought was your point of view. I don't think I said you were wrong. In fact, I believe in my last response I said you were right about at least one thing and I agreed with you about another. I actually back-peddled which is something most people are terrified to do on a forum. Please explain to me how "I agree that one does not have to live in an area to understand its climate" translates to "you're wrong".

I'll wait.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:33 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,393,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I don't recall actually using the phrase "you are wrong" or even using that word. I stated my point of view based on what I thought was your point of view. I don't think I said you were wrong. In fact, I believe in my last response I said you were right about at least one thing and I agreed with you about another. I actually back-peddled which is something most people are terrified to do on a forum. Please explain to me how "I agree that one does not have to live in an area to understand its climate" translates to "you're wrong".

I'll wait.
Hey Geetoo, I'm not accustom to having disputes with you and don't want to get into a pissing contest. I can only go on what you have written. I interpret "No" as meaning 'wrong' and have taken the time to review your statements. You seem to be quick in stating where I am incorrect and also accused me of making some sort of comment about San Diego and Tijuana.

Here are some of our statements to me on this thread:

Quote:
Once again. someone who doesn't know the Bay Area.
Quote:
No it doesn't. If you mean the delta area, that fog is part of the valley fog. An east wind up there dries everything out just like it does here.
Quote:
No it doesn't. It receives less rainfall than every city in the south and east coast.
Quote:
I don't explain it, you did. Having lived there, I know that the fog we get around the bay is caused by a different weather phenomena, but what would a person who's lived there for half their life know over some one who's visited?
Quote:
Those valleys form their own fog in the same way as the central valley and no, it does not spill over into the bay.
But again, it seems silly to be arguing over "tule" fog and rather than continue that discussion I cited articles, including the national weather service on the matter. I think we can lay it to rest.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Hey Geetoo, I'm not accustom to having disputes with you and don't want to get into a pissing contest. I can only go on what you have written. I interpret "No" as meaning 'wrong' and have taken the time to review your statements. You seem to be quick in stating where I am incorrect and also accused me of making some sort of comment about San Diego and Tijuana.

Here are some of our statements to me on this thread:

But again, it seems silly to be arguing over "tule" fog and rather than continue that discussion I cited articles, including the national weather service on the matter. I think we can lay it to rest.
Thanks for reminding me of what I said (don't know how else I would have remembered otherwise).

You know what I'm talking about, you can play dumb (if it's an act) all you want. Yeah we'll lay it to rest.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:43 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Quote:
"In California, tule fog can extend from Bakersfield to Red Bluff. Tule fog occasionally drifts as far west as the San Francisco Bay Area, even drifting westward out the Golden Gate, opposite to the usual course of summertime ocean fog".
Tule fog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
EXACTLY,
Tule fog occasionally drifts as far west as the San Francisco Bay Area, even drifting westward out the Golden Gate, opposite to the usual course of summertime ocean fog".

Its not a common occurence in the least and it only takes driving around town on a normal summer day to see that fog rolls in from the ocean more than 99% of the time that there is fog in the summer.

Tule Fog and Valley Fog is more of a winter thing-that's my experience from living in Sacramento for 3 years.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:47 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgear View Post
Simple question, I always noticed that the people from Southern California were much more outgoing,upbeat and in your face. This is nothing scientific obviously, but just an observation I have made over 25+ years in Cali. What do you think? Cheers
No, people in the Bay Area tend to be the happiest or at least the most content in California. At least that's what most surveys have pointed out.

If I recall correctly, the Bay Area is the ONLY region in the state of California where the majority of respondents said they were happy about their quality of life. Something like 70%!

Compared to under 50% for all of SoCal.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:21 PM

767 posts, read 1,744,172 times
It does indeed seem like most of the CA-bashing is done in reference to the metro LA area since it has more traffic and smog as well as more of a reputation for "fake" people and being more heavily converted, than the SF area, into an extension of Latin America.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:01 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Default everybody, chill out

It seems that this thread has degenerated into a slinging match about the weather in different places in California. Can we get back on topic?

Old 08-24-2010, 03:13 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,225,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
It does indeed seem like most of the CA-bashing is done in reference to the metro LA area since it has more traffic and smog as well as more of a reputation for "fake" people and being more heavily converted, than the SF area, into an extension of Latin America.
When I was living in Orange County, we had L.A. folks calling us fake, HA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California