Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 08:28 PM

880 posts, read 1,800,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
That sounds like a Norcal problem. In fact, I just see a bunch of jealously. Each and every one of us would love making 200k and get away with it. I assure you, most law enforcement do not make 200k. I have several friends who are officers and my buddies dad is the chief of police of a mid sized city. Firefighters do many make nearly as much as people think. They are a grip of OT during fire season to make what they make.

You go to work, sit behind your desk and do whatever meaningless thing you do. I drive around all day and inspect property. I drive around enjoying my day not nervous about some random prick deciding he should kill an inspector today. Random pricks usually go for officers for a reason. Every day they were that uniform, there isn't a guarantee they will come home because of what they do.
Sound like a Nor Cal Problem, maybe you missed this article,

199 L.A. County workers made at least $250,000 last year - latimes.com

or this one

L.A. Fire Department overtime pay going through the roof - LA Daily News

And as far as talk about jealousy..LOL, yeah I'm just jealous right, maybe if my tax dollars weren't going to fund these bloated salaries and pensions I wouldn't mind. I don't thing people see the connection, they don't realize were government workers pay checks come from. If these guys were making 200K in the private sector I couldn't care less.

Firefighter don't make that much money eh? Maybe not CDF/Cal Fire but the city firefighters make outrageous salaries. From the second article I posted,

"The highest overtime earner in 2008 was Donn D. Thompson, a firefighter-paramedic III. He earned $173,335 in overtime in addition to his nearly $100,000 base salary while working at Fire Station 19 on Sunset Boulevard in Brentwood.

The year before, Thompson earned $190,256 in overtime and in 2006 the figure was $206,685.

The second-highest overtime earner in 2008 was firefighter-paramedic Alan Naeole. He took in $164,785 in overtime at Air Operations, based at Van Nuys Airport, in addition to his $100,000 base pay.

Capt. Richard McClure was third, earning $155,111 in overtime at Emergency Medical Service District 12, which is based at Fire Station 77 in Sun Valley. McClure made some $155,000 in overtime, plus his base salary of $115,000.

These total salaries nearly matched or rivaled those of the men they work for. Barry makes $273,152 a year and Villaraigosa is authorized t"o earn $232,426 although he takes a salary of $223,186."

These guys would'nt need so much overtime if they took a little pay cut the department could hire more people....but nooooo...they want to stuff their greedy pockets and spike their pensions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 08:32 PM

880 posts, read 1,800,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
That's all you got out of my post?

Complain away then...I guess it's all you can do.

Some jobs will pay hefty salaries whether you like it, or can do the job, or not.
Your logic is that of a 5 year old, I'm guessing you or your spose or family member is one of these ridiculously overpaid workers and you're just trying to defend your piggishness.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:11 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
Sound like a Nor Cal Problem, maybe you missed this article,

199 L.A. County workers made at least $250,000 last year - latimes.com

or this one

L.A. Fire Department overtime pay going through the roof - LA Daily News

And as far as talk about jealousy..LOL, yeah I'm just jealous right, maybe if my tax dollars weren't going to fund these bloated salaries and pensions I wouldn't mind. I don't thing people see the connection, they don't realize were government workers pay checks come from. If these guys were making 200K in the private sector I couldn't care less.

Firefighter don't make that much money eh? Maybe not CDF/Cal Fire but the city firefighters make outrageous salaries. From the second article I posted,

"The highest overtime earner in 2008 was Donn D. Thompson, a firefighter-paramedic III. He earned $173,335 in overtime in addition to his nearly $100,000 base salary while working at Fire Station 19 on Sunset Boulevard in Brentwood.

The year before, Thompson earned $190,256 in overtime and in 2006 the figure was $206,685.

The second-highest overtime earner in 2008 was firefighter-paramedic Alan Naeole. He took in $164,785 in overtime at Air Operations, based at Van Nuys Airport, in addition to his $100,000 base pay.

Capt. Richard McClure was third, earning $155,111 in overtime at Emergency Medical Service District 12, which is based at Fire Station 77 in Sun Valley. McClure made some $155,000 in overtime, plus his base salary of $115,000.

These total salaries nearly matched or rivaled those of the men they work for. Barry makes $273,152 a year and Villaraigosa is authorized t"o earn $232,426 although he takes a salary of $223,186."

These guys would'nt need so much overtime if they took a little pay cut the department could hire more people....but nooooo...they want to stuff their greedy pockets and spike their pensions!
Those are some greedy rats but they will continue to get high salaries, etc like most if not all city firemen & cops in ca & many other out of state cities.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I do. But there is a matter of figuring how "high" those salaries & benefits should get. I know with retirement benefits we have gone over the top for some people, but not all. Not even most. They gamed the system and there was nobody there to put on the breaks so who get's the blame for that?

IMO the things I wan't to see fully and generously funded are public safety, education, and transportation. And if you look at someones salary and think "thats way too much money" then just go do the job and reap the rewards yourself. Most people won't do that becasue it's too hard and the jobs but you at risk.
sorry Ceece, I do respect the police dept and fire dept, I realize they put their lives on the line for us daily, but I also think some of the salaries are getting a little out of line. Do they deserve to make a good living? Of course they do but not quite what some are bringing in.

Nita

Old 10-07-2010, 12:47 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
Your logic is that of a 5 year old, I'm guessing you or your spose or family member is one of these ridiculously overpaid workers and you're just trying to defend your piggishness.
LOL! Thanks for the ironic chuckle noob..

Old 10-07-2010, 01:28 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Ironic that whenever they try to sell us on the need for affordable housing it's so cops and firefighters can live in the communities where they work. I guess now they're commuting in from Beverly Hills and Newport Beach.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:49 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,254,100 times
I just read about a cop in Temecula who is wanted for trashing his soon-to-be foreclosed $1,000,000 home.

The fact that he owns a $1,000,000 home isn't the most shocking part to me. It's the fact that someone spent $1,000,000 to live in Temecula.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:52 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
The fact that he owns a $1,000,000 home isn't the most shocking part to me. It's the fact that someone spent $1,000,000 to live in Temecula.
The Napa Valley of Riverside County?

Old 10-07-2010, 02:13 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,254,100 times
If Napa Valley had high amounts of Section 8 housing and drug offenders, then yes, that would be an apt comparison.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:43 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
The salaries, benefits & pensions of the CHP are unbelievable. Plus the tax payers pay for their lunches (over 4k yr). We have the horrid, foul ca legislature to thank for that.

I write to the CHP now & then & they never reply back. SAD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California