Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 11:29 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
They probably deserve every minute of it. Think about what they go through every single day.
I am more sympathetic of teachers and police officers.

As far as prisoners are concerned, we should herd inmates like livestock. Work them to the bone like slaves. If life hasnt taught them good sense, then prison should be the place where it finally becomes crystal clear to them what it means to earn your keep and survive by the sweat of your brow-no questions asked.

They should be maintaining our highways, picking our produce and doing all the grunt work for any and every project funded by the people of the State of California. All to pay their debt to society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 01:01 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Looks like there are a lot of people who made poor career choices and now have sour grapes.
Do you make it a habit of blaming the victims?

Old 04-20-2011, 06:20 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,973,187 times
Quote:
Looks like there are a lot of people who made poor career choices and now have sour grapes.
No, this is nothing but political corruption using tax payer money, our money. This is a corrupt politician paying back the unions who spent millions of tax payer’s money (again) to elect the corrupt politician in the first place.

This is disgusting and one of the main reasons our society is in shambles. To throw fuel on the fire the corrupt politician does it when the state is broke from this same type of reckless spending and at the same time telling the tax payers that they need to pay more taxes to pay for this disgusting political corruption.

And you have the gall to imply that responsible citizens who pay for this corruption in taxes are jealous because they don't get the same corrupt deal??? Let me guess, you are a former public employee on pension benefits that we, the tax payers are paying for ... Disgusting!

Some of us are decent human beings

Last edited by Vascodagama; 04-20-2011 at 06:28 AM..

Old 04-20-2011, 06:36 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
As far as prisoners are concerned, we should herd inmates like livestock. Work them to the bone like slaves. If life hasnt taught them good sense, then prison should be the place where it finally becomes crystal clear to them what it means to earn your keep and survive by the sweat of your brow-no questions asked.

They should be maintaining our highways, picking our produce and doing all the grunt work for any and every project funded by the people of the State of California. All to pay their debt to society.
It's been tried but the labor unions squawked saying that the use of prisoners took away jobs from "working Californians" and the courts (you guess on which side of the aisle) seem to think inmates deserve to be pampered. Between the two, most politicians (again, you guess on which side of the aisle) seem to concur.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:40 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitMage View Post
Psh, don't I wish? It would be great to have a job, especially one that gives me reasonable pay and benefits and one that gives me protection in the event I'm wronged by my employer.
I wouldn't work for a union for all the money in the world. Being surrounded by lazy, entitled thugs isn't my idea of a great work place. I like to be around folks that are all motivated to do a good job, get ahead and know that they need to stay on top of their game to stay employed.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:42 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
I tell you what, find a prison guard, invite him out for a cup of coffee, talk to him or her.

I could have, last year, partially agreed with you, but, I have over the past year gotten to know a few prison guards. What they have to say about their working conditions is interesting.

Interesting too for you conservative tea party republican types. 99% of prison guards share your political views, I find that darned humorous.
But they still vote for the politicians that their unions have bought and paid for.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
And you have the gall to imply that responsible citizens who pay for this corruption in taxes are jealous because they don't get the same corrupt deal??? Let me guess, you are a former public employee on pension benefits that we, the tax payers are paying for ... Disgusting!

Some of us are decent human beings
Don, while that may be His Lordship's approach, it's not all of ours. I happen to be one of those retired public employees with a pension and benefits, much of which I paid for over the course of 25 years, as did my wife. While I make no apologies, whatsoever, for having made a knowing choice which led to ultimate financial and medical security, nor do I condemn, ridicule or seek to diminish those who made other career choices. That would make no sense.

It hurts us, my wife and me, to see those who have fallen flat with the bursting of the housing bubble, the recession, et al, through no faults of their own. It is decidedly not something to gloat over or hold ourselves above. Please don't paint us all with the same brush.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:49 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Convince me it is corruption. Seems to me that it is pretty smart on the part of the prison guards, apparently they are doing better than you, or me.

and yes, I am a retired state employee, but no, I did not belong to a union, and I worked in a "right to work" state, which is a euphemism for "you strike, you lose your job".

My pension is not enough to live on, both my wife and I created part time businesses to supplement our pensions which are doing well. Which is one reason I don't have a lot of sympathy for the un or under employed, no reason why they cannot do what we do.

Curmie is in the same boat as I (speaking of someone who is terrribly jealous) when he retired from his state job his pension was so poor he had to move to Missouri and buy a trailer.

I think he and I are vastly more typical of retired state workers than what seems to get ya'll riled up.

The average retired California state worker pension is around $20,000 per year. That tells you that for all who get some high pension there are many many more with a pittance.

Now regarding the guards, they accrue vacation time that they cannot take (chronically understaffed I reckon)
Quote:
"It's virtually impossible for those employees to get time off," she said. "They're in this catch-22 where they can't use the time off they have, so it's become impossible for them to not exceed the cap."
Where most government employees get paid vacation, if you are unable to take your vacation it accrues. Capping the prison guards vacation time because they cannot take vacation days due to political decisions about staffing seems to me to be unfair.

If the guards could take the time, but choose not to, like many workers in this nation then they should not get that lump sum at the end of their career, but that does not seem to be the case.

A much better solution for the cost of prison guards and prisons is to decriminialize marijuana. In the 1970's 3% of inmates across the country were in for drug charges, today that figure is 20%. Get the drug users out and we can reduce prisons and staffing by 20%.

The US has the most inmates of any country in the world, including China, one out of every 100 American adults is in prison.

There is something deeply wrong about a society that incarcerates at the rate the US does.

Last edited by .highnlite; 04-20-2011 at 08:08 AM..

Old 04-20-2011, 08:47 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,915,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It's been tried but the labor unions squawked saying that the use of prisoners took away jobs from "working Californians" and the courts (you guess on which side of the aisle) seem to think inmates deserve to be pampered. Between the two, most politicians (again, you guess on which side of the aisle) seem to concur.
Simple solution - give them jobs nobody else wants. Jobs that are so bad even Mike Rowe would turn them down.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:02 AM

And as usual, Fauntleroy knows not whereof he speaks. Unlike he and his wife, both of whom obviously planned badly, we retired on more than adequate pensions and benefits to sustain us, even had we remained in California. We made the choice not to before we married which was many years before retirement. An added bonus to the move to the Ozarks was as significantly decreased cost of living which certainly makes a lie out of the single-wide smear; a typically ignorant generalization about the Ozarks but admittedly, with a tinge of truth in some areas. But I guess maximizing your retirement dollars is imprudent, huh? In any event, we don't need no stinkin' jobs or businesses in retirement. Again, I guess we were imprudent.

One thing I will agree with Fauntleroy on is that the prison guards' ability to bank unrestricted time (other employees are limited to 640 hours) is ridiculous. The payouts will be huge because there is no way any of them will be able to use the overabundant time they'll be given every year. Vacation is allotted on a bid basis by seniority. The entire contract is a not unanticipated but by the starry-eyed believer; a complete and utter give-away and pay-back by Brown for their millions in support of his campaign.

Governor Moonbeam, in all the negative connotations that implies, hasn't changed a bit.

I will also agree that the U.S. imprisons far too many but the Reps and the prison guard union have made imprisonment a self-perpetuating industry - the one dragging its knuckles and beating its chest with the battle cry of "public safety" - the other maintaining its largesse for itself and the prison employees, but itself first-and-foremost. That's personal experience talkin'. In a former life I was a correctional officer, sergeant, classification counselor and parole agent before going into narcotics enforcement with a multi-agency task force. In a later life I worked forensic legislation. Consequently, a part of my retirement was a safety portion.

California condemns itself and the people seem none the wiser.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 04-20-2011 at 09:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California