Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 06:30 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Oh geez dont bring up that loser. LOL
No ****. We didn't need Meg to tell us that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 07:07 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,320,466 times
Most of the people who complain that union members work harder and get better treatment out of employers are too lazy and stupid to fight for the same treatment from their own employer. If they banded together and actually fought for it then they'd likely get it but since that would require personal effort they simply sit around and whine all day about folks who actually do put the extra effort in.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:03 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,818,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Most of the people who complain that union members work harder and get better treatment out of employers are too lazy and stupid to fight for the same treatment from their own employer. If they banded together and actually fought for it then they'd likely get it but since that would require personal effort they simply sit around and whine all day about folks who actually do put the extra effort in.
Union members, or PUBLIC union members? Know the difference.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:17 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,030,232 times
When i worked for the IHSS the foul public union took $30.00 a month out of my check even though i told them i did not want to be in the union. They told me i had no choice & if i didnt like it then i should quit. The public unions are horrid & draining the tax payer big time. No public employee should get 8 weeks paid vacation per yr + outragious benefits. I believe federal workers get 4 weeks paid vacation per yr. Thats still above the normal 2 weeks annually but better then 8 weeks. My ex neighbor only gets 1 week paid vacation per year & hes been with the same private company for over 20 yrs. Thats bad but hes known his boss is scum for many yrs & continues to work for him.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:50 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,753 times
Audit of San Jose's disability retirement program for police and firefighters reveals abuses - San Jose Mercury News
The hits keep coming and this and more quite frankly is where your precious tax dollars go.
To think, if there was never an economic downturn, none of this stuff would have been looked at or addressed.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:11 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Suffice it to say, in Califrornia it's nasty. I worked a maximum facility and Security Housing Unit/Deep Segregation where we housed the cadre of all the major prison gangs. I also worked standard housing units, control and was a watch sergeant. CA's prisons are horribly overcrowded with 30-40 inmates in a dayroom and perhaps three hundred, triple-tiered in a gym. It's really ugly with tons of mandatory and volunteer overtime - often I worked three doubles a week for the OT - noisy, smelly and dangerous. On one day I ended up the sole officer inside a culinary when a riot erupted because I was furthest from a door and couldn't get out before it was locked-down to contain the riot.

Like you, I wouldn't recommend it but it certainly is an experience!
I'm sort of glad I was rejected from the psych portion of the CDCR hiring phase. I value my off-time and mandatory OT would've had me screaming for my walking papers.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:40 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Here, for your edification, I my line of work I met and worked with many correctional officers, in addition I have had correctional officers as friends and aquaintances. 100% of them were Conservatives, often former military.

Since there may be a democrat or two out there, I cut that down to 99% as a generalization. Now, sounds like you don't think I am accurate, so, refute me.
So none of them ever voted for the democrats that are destroying the state? They can't be voting democrat then calling themselves conservative.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:35 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,687,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So none of them ever voted for the democrats that are destroying the state? They can't be voting democrat then calling themselves conservative.

You win the gold medal! That this should be an O' Duh to the anti prison guard union people should apparent, but apparently it isn't.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:55 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Here, for your edification, I my line of work I met and worked with many correctional officers, in addition I have had correctional officers as friends and aquaintances. 100% of them were Conservatives, often former military.

Since there may be a democrat or two out there, I cut that down to 99% as a generalization. Now, sounds like you don't think I am accurate, so, refute me.
I KNOW I don't know what the prison guards think about politics. So I don't bring any data to this. But you rely on your anecdotal experience, admittedly more valuable than mine, but statistically you cannot your limited exposure, even if hundreds of guards, to arrive at 99%. Conjecture at best.

It isn't hard to find news articles though that point to the CCPOA's strong support ($$$) to Democratic candidates over a very long period of time. I would not find it at all odd the correctional officers are "law and order" biased, typically a Republican position, but do not hesitate to vote for their pocket book, which is better served with Democratic candidates in California.

Guard Union - CCPOA - Articles

Old 04-21-2011, 12:30 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,869,518 times
In my ten years as a Prison Guard I concluded that most of the officers (actually involved in security) leaned toward the Conservative side of politics. The case workers, housing unit managers and others involved in administrative duties were more Liberal in their politics. It seemed to me that the more actual contact individuals had with inmates the more conservative their views. In our system to works as a Caseworker or higher rank than a Corporal you had to have a College degree or a minimum of five years on the job. Exceptions were made for certain military experience.

In our University faculty I think the percentage of Conservative professors teaching Criminal Justice is a lot higher than the Professors in other Humanities. Still not a majority but not as scarce as a Conservative Professor in the English or Social Services departments.

JMHO,
GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California