Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 10:19 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
If you're poor and just needed the cheapest than Arizona, if you're well enough off that you can afford to consider things like quality of life then California.
Is this what 'thinking for yourself' gets you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 05:25 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
As for Camarillo, I also love that city. I spent a big part of my teens and early 20's hanging out there with friends. It is a quiet city that is ideal for families. Over the years it has also changed. For many years Camarillo had very little in the way of lets say, destination shopping. Unlike Ventura, their was no real mall in Camarillo. Lots of strip malls and old town but nothing to bring other people into the city. That changed when the Camarillo Priemium Outlet opened up. Even in a down economy that was one area that seems to continue to grow. I would say that it has some of the best shops in the area, a great theater, and so much going for it. Unlike Oxnard with its large auto mall, or even Ventura with its auto mall, Camarillo only has 2 new car dealers; BMW and MINI both at the same location. They just opened the new Mini dealership. Also on the outskirts of Camarillo, Ventura Harley Davidson is located. I like Camarillo but for differant reasons than Ventura. It is a nice safe place to live. It is further inland though and surrounded by farms.
Thank you ever so much for the informed comments! That hospital is very impressive. Both towns sound worthy of visits and more investigation.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:51 PM

762 posts, read 2,031,272 times
what kind of climate do you want? There is a big difference in the weather around Phoenix suburbs depending on elevation. Palm springs is a far different climate compared to SLO. I think that this could help you narrow it down. Also it would be nice to know the size of the city you desire, how important are amenities to you, if you mind a great deal of traffic... The question is too broad at this point.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:10 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
PS... if Palm Springs (Cathedral City would be the better choice) remains part of the Cali list, you might as well be in AZ. They are almost identical, except PS turns into a party town during Spring break, and the summers can be even hotter than AZ. If you must live in Cali, the southern coast from SD to Ventura would be the ticket. We also have more Universities and CCs than anywhere else in the country.

List of colleges and universities in Southern California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I agree with this. If you like the desert, stick with AZ. The cost of living is lower and there is also less earthquake risk (which is something no one has brought up yet...but both SoCal and NorCal are overdue for large 7.0+ earthquakes).

Old 11-03-2012, 07:19 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I am by no means wealthy and call California home. It is a big state and many places within the state are affordable. Not everyone lives on the coast. Sure if you are going to compare Santa Barbara with Arizona then sure, maybe need a few bucks more in SB. Still Arizona has its upper priced areas as well and you will need the big bucks to live there as well. You really have to take it on a city by city comparison to see what your budget will sustain. Something to figure in is that in coastal California where temps are normally in the mild range, your electric bill will be quite low. Mine is $28 a month on average and we have no AC to pay for. Some people in Arizona pay in the hundreds for electric to stay cool. Another thing to consider is average income for each area. When we were looking to move to Surprise, AZ I was having a hard time finding jobs that paid what I was making in California. Our minumum wage is more, our average income is more, then again we pay more in taxes as well and gas is at least a $1 more per gallon where I live anyway. You just have to look at your budget and go from there.
This isn't always true, but despite California's higher prevailing wages and minimum wage, I think most people come out ahead in AZ because of the much lower housing costs there. Yes, the utilities in AZ are higher, but California's housing costs are the killer. The higher taxes and gas costs don't help matters, either.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:39 PM

341 posts, read 708,756 times
I haven't lived in AZ but it being CA's neighbor I know it well enough. Schooling and education generally rank low in Zona. The U of AZ is known as a party school. Many Ca schools are also low ranking but there are considerable pockets of elite schools with national rankings. Your kids may have greater recreational choices growing up somewhere along the CA coast. I wouldn't want to live with Arizonas considerable heat. Both are beautiful. Though neighboring states of one another, they are worlds apart politically and culturally speaking.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:59 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
Palm Springs and Arizona have the same weather-burning hot in summer, freezing cold winter nights, and cooler winter days than coastal SoCal. NorCal weather is also usually horrid-foggy and cool. I would choose inland SoCal, such as Escondido, Redlands or El Cajon, where, even if the weather may not be as mild in summer and winter as on the beach, still far mild than Palm Springs or Arizona, and also sunnier and warmer than NorCal.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:45 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
14-month-old topic and she never returned to it.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:43 PM

353 posts, read 657,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifico View Post
I haven't lived in AZ but it being CA's neighbor I know it well enough. Schooling and education generally rank low in Zona. The U of AZ is known as a party school. Many Ca schools are also low ranking but there are considerable pockets of elite schools with national rankings. Your kids may have greater recreational choices growing up somewhere along the CA coast. I wouldn't want to live with Arizonas considerable heat. Both are beautiful. Though neighboring states of one another, they are worlds apart politically and culturally speaking.
As someone that has spent a lot of time in both states I think there are definite differences but I think there are similarities too. I think because of political differences people think the 2 states are polar opposite in every way. I think culturally they do share some ties. Arizona has much more ties with and similarities to Californina than it does New Mexico. And don't even mention Texas. Arizona is totally culturally different than Texas and shares no ties with them and aren't even in the same part of the country as them.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:40 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
As someone that has spent a lot of time in both states I think there are definite differences but I think there are similarities too. I think because of political differences people think the 2 states are polar opposite in every way. I think culturally they do share some ties. Arizona has much more ties with and similarities to Californina than it does New Mexico. And don't even mention Texas. Arizona is totally culturally different than Texas and shares no ties with them and aren't even in the same part of the country as them.
Agreed! My family, on my Latino side, lived in AZ in the mid 1800s and moved to Cali in the early 1900s. I still have family in AZ. I think most of the population in Phoenix, and southwestern AZ are Cali transplants so we share a lot more than anyone gives credit for. Cali has become the new right coast, we have so many easterners here now.

People-wise, AZ is more like what Cali used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California