Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 09:55 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oakland is totally the opposite if we are to believe Census stats.

Every racial group in Oakland grew except Blacks which saw their numbers plummet drastically which pulled the entire city's growth rate into negative territory.

Oakland 2000-2010
Entire City: -1.9%
Some other Race +58.3%
Native Hawaiian/Pac. Islander +39.0%
Two or More Races +14.0%
Hispanic +11.4%
Non Hispanic White +11.0%
Asian +10.2%
American Indian +2.1%
Black -36.8% Staggering.

Also, something very interesting occured last year. Non-Hispanic Whites became the largest racial group in the city surpassing Blacks:

Oakland 2010 391,672
Non Hispanic White 104,381 26.6%
Black 102,395 26.1%
Hispanic 97,515 24.8%
Asian 66,557 16.9%
Two or More Races 14,782 3.7%
Native Hawiian/Pac Islander 2,594 0.6%
Some other Race 1,946 0.4%
American Indian 1,502 0.3%

According to Census 2000 and American Factfinder Community Survey 2010
Gentrification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Eventually the whites will be pushed even out of oakland ..
Blacks are leaving for reasons I find obvious even over on the other side of the bay.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:19 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
I care because once Whites are a tiny minority, it's fairly obvious what's going to happen to those of us who remain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
Ignorance is bliss.
Look up Detroit.
What a troll joke
I was born and partly raised in Detroit ... also Philadelphia ... a few years in Washington, D.C. ... only majoun points out correctly:
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Rust Belt problems are a wholly different issue as is economic collapse. And those problems hurt all races and ethnicities not just "whites".
Anyone who thinks that California, the finest 163,696 sq mi of real estate, weather, and fertile farmland in North America is going to go ghetto -- well, isn't thinking ... and if you are serious, you need to have that jerking knee of yours checked out by a professional ... may I suggest a psychiatrist?

Old 11-09-2011, 11:34 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
Ignorance is bliss.
Look up Detroit.
The outlook isn't as bad in Detroit as it is in parts of California. Detroit is trying to reinvent itself. At least there's some forward momentum taking place there. California is still standing standing there with it's pecker in it's hand just like the sunbelt cities of the south. "Goodtime Charlie" places like coastal SC, GA, Nevada, and California, will be the last to "recover"....Although I think California will be the first of those lasts.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:41 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
its

Old 11-09-2011, 11:41 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
The outlook isn't as bad in Detroit as it is in parts of California. Detroit is trying to reinvent itself. At least there's some forward momentum taking place there. California is still standing standing there with it's pecker in it's hand just like the sunbelt cities of the south. "Goodtime Charlie" places like coastal SC, GA, Nevada, and California, will be the last to "recover"....Although I think California will be the first of those lasts.
Oh phbbbbt California doesn't need to "reinvent" itself ... it is a whole universe in 163,696 sq mi... cracks me up the way folks today think doom is at hand if hard times come and aren't reversed overnight ... no grasp of history ... no common sense about resource utilization and potential, and existing infrastructure. The sky is falling and it can't get up. Heh

Old 11-09-2011, 11:54 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
its

Monty Python's Flying Circus Intro - YouTube

Old 11-10-2011, 12:28 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
If that's what they want to do...

[it is what it is]

Old 11-10-2011, 12:44 AM

298 posts, read 389,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
So I was looking at this census 2010 publication http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/b...c2010br-05.pdf and it was saying California was near the bottom when it comes to non-hispanic white population loss in the 2000's. It declined 5.4% percent. But look at all of the rest of the western states in there change of non-hispanic whites...they all gained...

Utah 16.7%
Idaho 15.5%
Arizona 12.9%
Nevada 12.2%
Hawaii 11.6%
Wyoming 10.3%
Colorado 9.9%
Montana 7.5%
Alaska 7.4%
Oregon 5.2%
Washington 4.8%
New Mexico 2.5%
California -5.4%
quite sad

Old 11-10-2011, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
Yep..
Motor City Mojo: The Startup Renaissance In Detroit | TechCrunch

It's the particular reason I am going totally opposite of the valley for kicking off my venture.. Low COL .. entry .. and an open canvas to create .. for those w/ vision/passion to do so.. low friction from taxation/COL ..

This is where things will blossom from IMO.
The friction here is super high ..

but yes.. low col .. low tax.. low regulation.. open canvas.. lots of culture is moving in .. I have shopped several places like this in the U.S.. my thinking is .. get in on something growing and being shaped.. its not only beautiful to take part in.. its super cheap and the rewards could be huge.. otherwise, what is life for .. will have enjoyed taking the risk and having an open canvas w/ low friction to create something.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Oh phbbbbt California doesn't need to "reinvent" itself ... it is a whole universe in 163,696 sq mi... cracks me up the way folks today think doom is at hand if hard times come and aren't reversed overnight ... no grasp of history ... no common sense about resource utilization and potential, and existing infrastructure. The sky is falling and it can't get up. Heh
I think he is trying to say that Detroit is reinventing itself .. and, if successful, the yield for those who dared defied the odds far outweighs that which could occur here .. and thus, you have a rather different situation in history.. that didn't historically have technology .. the internet which year over year breaks down physical barriers .. and further democratizes power and opportunity across the world.

Every day I see San Francisco further gentrified .. Every year the affordability becomes less and with that culture/art and the many things that make San Francisco beautiful disappear ...

I hear as of late .. this is all moving to oakland.. how long before that is gentrified too .. Last year, while on vacation, I ran into many California transplants.. Talked with the owner of a hipster like beer bar in that place .. from California .. Sushi restaurant owner from California.. Common theme .. they were traveled people... friends all over the U.S .. tough times and shrinking margins.. friends suggested giving it a shot in a particular place.. they did .. margins are great.. they see their business 'growing' .. and enjoy taking part from the ground floor in a growing city....

Cali will be fine.. could give 2 sh*ts about it once a move is made .. but people elsewhere will be too .. and are loving the opportunity to take part "from the ground floor" in what was more widely available : the american dream .. living a good middle class life .. working and doing what makes them happy and having the fruits from their success going quite far instead of nowhere due to high commercial property rent .. COL/taxation/etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California